Visitor
debs43

Someone piggybacking my router.

I have someone piggybacking my wireless router.  I set the admin password to as many characters as possible.  They are still able to crack it.  They just seem to use it for the bandwith.  They also change the password so I cannot get into my router.  I have to factory reset the thing to change everything again.  I am going to try using Mac addressing next.  But if they can get into the router I dont think it would do any good.  Besides going hard wired, is there any other suggestions? 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Someone piggybacking my router.

What is the Make and model of the Router?

What are you seeing as the indicator that someone is on your router? 

Can you browse into your router and go into "Attached Devices" and see the intruder there?

Could someone be gaining physical access to your router to make changes to the configuration?

Visitor
debs43

I have Belkin wireless N

FD5.....

I have windows 7 home premium.

I go into attached devices and see an additional router that is a linksys wrt656 (something like that).

I also see of course other members of the family laptops.  We have 4 in all.  I am the only one who knows how to even access the router or anything about it, and I put the changed passwords on the other laptops.  It was good for a day cause I checked every few hours, then last night I checked and the router password was changed again.  And I saw the foreign linksys on there again.  So I figure they just need the bandwith, piggyback the router and send my signal back to me.  The only reason I questioned it was because the signal was becoming choppy when I downloaded tv shows and music.  It never did that before.  I was getting ready to yell a comcast when I found the miscellaneous router.

Contributor

Close the wireless network by not broadcasting the SSID. (Consult the Belkin's manual on how to do this.) I would also suggest MAC and IP address filtering.

Be sure to use an alphnumeric password, not just a simple password that's easily guessable and not random. (For example, instead of using the letter O in a word use a zero instead, like, "sp0t.") Write it down if you have to.

Connection Expert
EG

Are you using WPA2 ?

Visitor
debs43

Yes using WPA PSK2 encription.  I hid the SSID and limited access to only our mac addresses.  I changed the IP addresses to 10. instead of 192.  So far so good.  We'll see what happens.  I have a friend who is great at messing with people like that.  I told him what is happening since he is smarter than me.  He is coming over tomorrow to see what he can do.

Networking Expert
kevj

I would just take the step of securing your own router to lock them out of your system...'messing with people like that' implies you are going to try to do something to get back at them...don't...what ever you do could be as illegal as their stealing your bandwidth. It's not worth retaliating for....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Recognized Contributor

See if your router has the option to disable remote access to the router configuration.  I use that plus MAC filtering (high-rise condo on the beach with a lot of weekly rentals), and I have never had an intruder.  You will have to plug in an ethernet cable everytime you need to change your router configuration.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Thats right.  Disabling remote access for configuration is important.

Email Expert

There are usually two options for restricting access to the router: blocking access from the Internet, and blocking access from wireless. You should disable both unless you need them.