New Visitor

Static IP vs. DHCP address

I currently have my cable modem going to a router and then a Residental Gateway plugged into the router. I run two laptops off of the RG without any issues. Now I want to remove the RG and router and replace them with a LinkSys 4-Port Wireless router. I've configured the router and the wired computer sees the router but I can't get to the internet. Could it be that my account has a static IP address and I need to have my account set up with DHCP? Any other thoughts on what the issue might be?
Mac Expert
Joel

Re: Static IP vs. DHCP address

Did you power-cycle your modem???
New Visitor

sometimes you have to configure your linksys as a gateway for it to access the internet.

you can still have a static ip, but this also has to be added to the linksys.
Networking Expert
Baric

NO, you don't have a static IP unless you have one of the business level accounts. I agree with Joel's suggestion, it was the first thing that crossed my mind. If no go there, you are going to have to describe your setup in more detail, what exact router, how is it setup (out of the box, the default settings work on Comcast), what OS, howis it configured fro TCP/IP, what is your DNS setup, etc.
New Visitor

Thank you to each of you for your suggestions. It must have been the power-cycle issue. I slowed down and tried it all again and things worked.

Thanks again.