Recognized Contributor

Technicolor

Just saw a post in Comcast Voices about a new Gateway/WiFi device called Technicolor. Anyone have one? The WiFi section should be much better than current.

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Technicolor

I think may be a device specific to HD Video Conferencing...

http://www.tmcnet.com/topics/articles/2012/05/21/291248-comcast-delivers-hd-video-conferencing-thank...

One would hope for a better WiFi experience than most folks appear to be having with current gateway devices, but it isn't clear how widespread the deployment of these devices is yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Connection Expert
EG

New Visitor
redsgolfer

i have bin trying to get new gateway made by technicolor for month now 2 weeks ago they sent me wireless usb adapter not sure why. but last nite had good call with tech support had nice lady who found a technicolor model TC8305C and its so new there isnt any specs or reviews all i have found out is its 3x3mimo but only 2.4 not 5ghz and with at least 6 channels bonding but website said it blows the arris away and other modems and routers from comp.i have 1 being brought to me on sat 11/10/12 so i will post how it goes

Contributor
cldeal

I have one.  Got it on January 4th.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

cldeal wrote:

I have one.  Got it on January 4th.

For the benefit of all readers here, does it have good performance ? Are you happy with it ? Any gripes ? What state are you in ?

Contributor
cldeal

I have the Complete Triple Play package, including Extreme 105 HSI.  We're a heavy Internet usage family with an Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Apple TV, Roku, Netflix, etc.  The Technicolor device works well for me, and we get the advertised speeds, so I've been pleased with that.  However, I only use the Technicolor as a bridge because you only have the option of using a g/n or b/g/n wireless mode, which would reduce the top wireless speeds you could get.  I don't have any b or g devices, so I'm not looking to use that.  I have a Netgear R6300 802.11ac router and a Netgear WN2500RP 802.11ac repeater that I've had before getting the Technicolor, so I use those for my wireless connections.  I also use a few Powerline adapters. I live in Prince William County, Virginia, which is about 25 miles southwest of Washington, DC.

Connection Expert
EG

Thank you for replying ! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
cldeal

Just to illustrate...

Speedtest results:

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/208123312.png

Shaper Probe results:

DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 83.212.4.36.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 21020 Kbps.
Downstream: 131867 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 20458 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 106064 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe
logout

[Process completed]

Connection Expert
EG

So you are subscribed to the Extreme 100/20 tier ?

Contributor
cldeal

Yes, Extreme 105/20, actually.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Oh yes, thank you. Happy surfing !

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

[ Edited ]

I  hav  Triple Play Premium with Blast internet and live in Prince William county just like cldeal above and got  Arris Gateway last Dec ...TG 862 and I didn't need wifi at the time but being practive and needing to upgrade to 3.0 modem I gladly got it.  It had problems connecting to certain websites like my bank so that was a deal breaker and I swapped it for one without the wifi router  TG722 and its been just fine.

I  now have my first wifi device... Android tablet ... so decided to go to the local  Comcast office to use their hotspot to test the wifi on the tablet and to see what they may have in the way of new routers and they gave me the Technicolor cable/voice/wifi.. Its branded Comcast but manufactured by technicolor. Easy install and I held my breath as I went to my bank website and  so happy....success. This is my first experience with wifi and I can say that I am not impressed. Is it all wifi or is it the Comcast router?  I could buy my own but this one was FREE. I am used to  Comcast Blast speed and this is slower than dial up. I have to learn to keep my fingers off it and look away. I am having a real hard time getting used to web browsing.  Websites don't look 'normal' even though I downloaded the app for the browser I use......firefox. Just getting to comcast.net where I want to check email and voice mail when not at home is a nightmare and then I have to struggle to sign in and there is no file/menu area or way to back up a page or close the browser the way I am used to. Its a bit maddening.. I guess its a brand new world for me as I am a Windows PC girl.

New Visitor
nick20015

Wireless can be just as fast as wired, your speed shouldn't be that slow. I just got on here to look for reviews on the technicolor tc8305c because I just recieved on e and it is turning out to be slow as dirt over wireless. So I am just coming to the conclusion that this router is horrible.
Connection Expert
EG

Thanks for the feedback. Year old thread now closed.