Visitor
Jans45
Accepted Solution

The Xfinity SMCD3GNV wifi gateway or router will not extend.

The gateway is placed in the corner of the house and I want to have wifi in the other corner of the house fifty feet away. Coverage is spotty or not at all. I have tried different range extenders (trendnet tew-736re, and the netgear wn3000rp) but they just don't work with the Xfinity gateway. My xfinity was installed last November and we have the triple play or whatever. Any ideas?
Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Re: The Xfinity SMCD3GNV wifi gateway or router will not extend.

As others will probably respond Jans45, wireless gateways are generally terrible devices, with their biggest weakness in their router functionality.

The allure is that all the functions are built into one box, but the fact is that few if any gateways do a very good job. 

Obviously, the best way to ensure better signal coverage throughout your home is to centrally locate your gateway...however generally, 50 feet is not a great deal of distance to have an issue with.

I would recommend purchasing a quality (not one of the bargain-basement models, regardless of brand!) stand alone router, call Comcast and have them bridge your gateway (which turns off the router capability), and set up your gateway as a regular cable modem, running through your wireless router...ideally, I would locate the router as central as feasible, although with a good router, you may have enough signal coverage.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

As you have discovered the wireless range with that device is not very good, if you do a search of the forum you will discover lots of other threads about the SMC3DGNV....The firmware that Comcast supply is also not great.

For best results call this number 1 800 363 2416, to bridge the inbuilt router and then use your own router if you have one...May not be anyone there at the weekend, but worth a try, if you get no response call during regular working hours. Only takes 5 mins and the SMC will work as a normal eMTA modem (phone/internet).

Networking Expert
Baric

I'll add my 2¢...

While range extenders and repeaters as supposed to interoperate with devices from other manufacturers, the reality is that this often doesn't work.  Stick to extenders and repeaters that are made by the same manufacturer as the router.  And as others have pointed out, get rid of the gateway or get it bridged and use your own decent router.  In many cases if you get a decent router, the problem will just disappear since the gateway you have is such junk, anything would be an improvement.

Visitor
Jans45

Thanks for the info! What router would you recommend?
Regular Problem Solver

For a router.....Most any of the major brands (D-Link, NetGear, Cisco/Linksys) should work fine....Try to avoid the "bottom-of-the-barrel" models in any line...

Many here are partial to Cisco/Linksys......the EA units are very nice ---- I have the EA3500 and like it a lot!!

Good Luck!

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

I've got an Arris TG862G bridged, EA4500 router, WES610N wireless bridge, and two Intel Centrino 6300 Ultimate-N for the laptops...  a wireless network that performs just as well as a wired...

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Another vote here for the Linksys EA series.  I have the EA4500, but really, the EA2700 and EA3500 are all good choices based on desired features. (I would not go for Linksys routers below those models)

All the major manufacturers make good models, but IMHO the Linksys EA series lead the way in easy set up combined with very good performance.

Networking Expert
Baric

Jans45 wrote:
Thanks for the info! What router would you recommend?

Sorry I'm a little late posting back, life has been busy lately.

I agree with the others, the upper end of the Linksys EA series has some very nice models.  I personally use an Apple 1TB Time Capsule, and I can say it works VERY well, been very happy with it.  The Netgear WNDR4000 and 4500 are nice too.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

As much I despise Apple, I will say that they make a very nice but pricy router...  setup is easy with the AirPort utility and its a no-brainer is it working, the single light it has is either yellow or green LOL

still the EA series with the new cloud update is pretty sweet, and for my network needs, i'm maxing out it's bandwidth at times...  I have to have a high-performing network...

Regular Contributor
Denztoi

I guess you just answered my question Baric, thanks. But if the modem is ever reset or rebooted does it go back to the original settings or does it always stay bridged?
Connection Expert
EG

Denztoi wrote:
But if the modem is ever reset or rebooted does it go back to the original settings or does it always stay bridged?

If it is reset to factory defaults with the reset button (not just powercycled / "rebooted") I believe that it is taken out of bridge mode. So if that is done, it would need to be put back in to bridge mode by them.

Regular Contributor
Denztoi

thanks eg for the quick response. Do you think one of those wall outlet plug wifi extenders work?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

If you are referring to ethernet powerline adapters (nothing to do with WiFi / wireless) then yes. Years ago I did not recommend them but they have been much improved. If both are on the same power circuit, they should work quite well.

Regular Contributor
Denztoi

thanks EG, I just said the h3ll with chancing it on a extender and just returned the arris tg862 for a arris tm722 and bought a netgear wndr4000 wireless router. Problems solved, I have great connections to all wifi devices and the xbox. I suspect the more you pay for a wireless router with stronger strength and mbps you get a longer stronger distance with your signal. Everyone in the house is happy now that they are all connected.

Thanks again for your input and I hope others will read this and do the same until comcast can come out with a worthy all in one unit. I heard the uverse all in one wifi unit is also junk. Other family members have it and complain about it too. Sounds like a common problem.

Connection Expert
EG

Happy surfing ! :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
jkcandy

Regarding this same gateway just recently connectedI have no problem with speedHoweverI have a wifi Lexmark printer, X6570 and cant get those 2 units to communicateAny comments?

New Visitor
bbonacci01

To the responder who said that extenders basically do not work I say NOT TRUE.  I have set up two wn2000rpt extenders.  One with a Netgear router and one with a Linksys router and they both worked GREAT.

One of the setups changed to the Xfinity router and now it will not work.  Sounds like the router to me.  NOT the extender.

Regular Contributor
Denztoi

Well that's good it works for! I personally don't need an extender with a good router that puts a signal out the goes 3 houses away! I can surf the net from a good 80 ft away and through 4 walls no problem. Whatever works right
Connection Expert
EG

This seven month old thread has run it's course. It is now closed.