New Visitor
Saquan1

To many cables and splitters - switching to wifi

Hi, new here and I don't know that much about the whole wireless stuff, but I'll try to explain my situation.

So, I've ordered a laptop and it's on my way to my door soon. I was basically forced to upgrade from my Dell Dimension 2350 since it's old, not good to look at, not enough ram, graphics card is faulty, etc. I've had to give up things like normal quality videos on YouTube, anything playing/streaming on a web page (like ads or moving images), gaming, and more, like unable to use Firefox, Chrome, IE because they all lag, are slow and mostly freeze up when using Facebook to the standard Gmail version. Barely hanging on Opera.

Well I'm upgrading to this HP laptop to replace my Dell. And since it does have wireless, unlike my Dell. I figured I would be able to finally get rid of all these cables and splitters I have running through the hall and bedrooms.

Here's pretty much how it is: 

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment
I have an HDTV in the living room
I have an HDTV in one bedroom + the cable modem.
And a small tv (its box shaped and has that big round-ish back to it.) in the other bedroom.

When speaking to the technician who came, he basically said,
Use cables, splitters, and tape to run it along side the walls to each bedroom and connect it all together OR go wireless. The reason I have to run it down the halls and what not is because their is only 1 cable outlet and it's in the living room, plus their is no way for them to add cable outlets in each room.

The small cable from the outlet in the living room is connected to a splitter. The living room tv is connected  to the splitter with a cable, and then another cable is connected to the splitter to the cable box, then a long cable is  connected to the same splitter then runs down the side of the wall into my bedroom, then connected to another splitter in my bedroom. With the second splitter, a cable is connected from the splitter to the tv box and from the box to the bedroom hdtv. Another cable, is connected also from that second splitter into the cable modem for the internet. Then the ethernet cord from the modem is connected to my Dell. Back at the second splitter, a last cable is connected to it and runs out the door alongside the wall into the second bedroom and connects to the small tv.

That's a lot, and now that I have some sort of advange to make my apt look more better, to make my internet speed faster than it is, and to be able to receive all the channels that I can't watch because of the signal being too low. I'm going to take action.

I don't know that much about routers, but I'm very interested in the Apple AirPort Extreme Router and the Apple TV also.
I'm really on the electronics side and have purchased a couple of tablets online for use while at home.
For example, wanting to have a tablet in the kitchen for use when cooking. (From viewing recipies to watching commercial-free tv episodes.)

Any help or tips on how to go wireless would be a big help. I'm doing my searching too.
Hopefully, if I can get this resolved in a few days, I would be able to order whatever router it it is on Amazon and it will arrive around the same time when my laptop arrives.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: To many cables and splitters - switching to wifi

Wireless is not going to help your coax connections to TV's, DVR's, set top boxes, etc, they are seperate things and don't work together.  Those devices may also have wireless capabilites, but they would connect to your router via wireless (or ethernet), not via the coax.  If you have a coax signal problem, then you need to eliminate as many splitters as possible and replace those you need with high quality new splitters designed for digital cable systems.  Also replace any old or damaged coax with new shielded RG6 cables, each just the right length to do the job (avoid coils of cable they can lead to trouble).  Avoid running the coax next to power cords if you can.  This is really difficult in many situations but keep them as separate as possible.

Now if the signal coming into the house is questionable, you need to have Comcast come and adjust it since you're only going to degrade it with splitters and stuff further down the line, so it needs to start as clean and strong as possible.

While many say don't use them, powered splitters with amplifiers can help in many situations.  They amplifiy your existing signal to make it strong enough to overcome too many splitters, etc.  They amplify noise as well, so they can sometimes make things worse, but it's very situation dependent.  I use one here and it works great, an inexpensive Radio Shack power 4 way splitter with the gain up to about 3/4.

As for the wireless setup, simply connect your chosen router to the cable modem that is attached to one of your coax leads.  Wireless router placement can be a black art, but try to place the router in as central a location as possible, with higher being better than lower.  If you have external antennas, make sure the long axis of the antenna is perpendicular to the direct line between your most common use areas and the router itself.  Select a wireless channel that is NOT in use by any other wireless routers in your vicinity.