New Visitor
ShanMT1999

Trying to connect ROKU2 HD through my Xfinity SMCD3GNV router

Greetings:

Like many others on thw web I am unable to connect my Roku through Comcast and am receiving the dreaded 014 error code.

This issue started one week ago when I moved and switched ISPs from Fios to Comcast Xfinity.
Have not been able to connect to the LOCAL network at all since moving and switching to Comcast, despite all other wireless devices hopping right on the network with the proper network key.

I have been bounced back and forth between Roku and Comcast endlessly.
I have now been "escalated" with Roku, but have no idea when I will be contacted.

Maybe some forum members can help; I have read as many posts on this topic as I can and have also run all trouble shooting steps Roku provided by email, live chat and phone

Here's some info.

ISP: Comcast Xfinity
Modem/Router Combo: SMCD3GNV
Roku Model: Roku2 HD
"Red-Light" Step: 2 - Connecting to Local Network

What I've tried:
1. Checked to make sure the network key is correct (have been able to add other components, including laptop and printer); network key was entered correctly with proper capitalization.
2. Checked to make sure signal is strong without interference.
3. Changed encryption on wireless router (even tried with an open network).
4. Reboot (power cycle) of modem and Roku HD box. I did make sure to remove battery backup from router before this step. Even unhooked coaxial from router/modem combo.
5. Reset Roku 2 HD box to factory preset using Roku’s “settings” menu.
6. Reset Roku 2 HD box to factory preset using paperclip method.
7. Logged into router gateway:
A) Changed Channel (tried all available options - 1, 6, and 11)
:smileycool: Made sure MAC filtering is disabled as instructed by Roku
C) Played with all types of encryption including a completely open network
D) Made sure SSID is broadcasting (it is visible on the Roku and has max signal anyhow)
E) Made sure DHCP is enabled (It is and both my laptop and printer are DHCP and working fine)
F) Checked connected devices and under "View the computers connected to the Gateway's LAN." I can clearly see my Roku listed:
Host Name: NP-11A16N001819
IP Address: 10.0.0.4
DHCP/Static IP: DHCP
Connection: Wireless
MAC Address: 00:0D:4B:94:33:31

I am at wit's end... anyone have any magical advice before I tear all my hair out???

Thanks in advance,
-Shannon

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Trying to connect ROKU2 HD through my Xfinity SMCD3GNV router

SMCD3GNV = Bad news.

This device is utter junk.  I would try one thing to get it working: go into the gateway's admin site and change the firewall security setting to LOW, then reboot the gateway (press the reset button for 5 seconds).  If the Roku still will not talk, then I recommend to you stop fooling with the gateway.  Call the good folks at 800-363-2416 (Comcast's gateway support team) and have them place the gateway into bridge mode and get your own router.  Bridge mode deactivates the router and wireless functions on the gateway turning it into an expensive cable modem/EMTA.  Best think for it really, it sucks as a router.  Now you will need your own router, but that's a small price to pay to have things working again.

New Visitor
ShanMT1999

Yeah... after finally verifying it ISN'T my Roku (I was able to connect instantly without issue on a nearby unsecured wireless network), this is basically the suggestion I got from folks on Roku's forums as well.

The issue I see with this solution is I believe a pay a monthly fee for the "privilege" of using their gateway as an expensive cable modem.  Such a waste when I could just make Comcast honor their 30-day new service guarantee and switch over to FIOS, which I KNOW works with ALL my devices already.  Even without a monthly equipment fee, having to purchase and install additional equipment is a major PITA - particularly when that will lead to yet ANOTHER company's customer service team I will inevitably be shuffled through whenever I have a connectivity issue.

I wonder if I have the option of getting another gateway (different brand/model) from Comcast, or is this truly a proprietary firmware issue which will persist unless I go into 'bridge' mode?'

New Visitor
ShanMT1999

Just one more question before I go further, please... my Roku is listed in my Gateway as a connected device with IP 10.0.0.4.  I was able to successfully ping the IP from my laptop using the command prompt; 4 packets sent and 4 received almost instantly.

Does this give me any further info on where the issue lies?

Comcast told me they don't "block" or inhibit ANY device from connecting to the internet in any way.

I guess this is "just" a device issue with my SMCD3GNV then?  So strange that Roku is my only device having this issue and that so many Roku users are having the same problem with Comcast as their ISP.

New Visitor
PortableCIO

Hi -

We're experiencing the exact same problems you've described, all the way down to the IP address our client's ROKU is getting (10.0.0.4). And yes, very odd that we're getting a pingable IP address, even though it can't consummate the connection enough for the ROKU to proceed. What a pain.

We're ditching the SMC, getting a wireless router for the client, and will have Comcast put it into Bridged mode. It sucks, but...noone hears you scream... ;-(

PCIO

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Good plan, SMC into bridge mode and get a good wireless router.  The SMCD3GNV gateway is a truly awful piece of hardware, bridge it or get rid of it.

New Visitor
jaycambay

I have been able to connect ROKU2 HD receiver to XFINITY  SMCD3GNV router. After a great deal of followup with ROKU technical support, I finally ended up with the right senior technical agent in Phillipines (John, (855) 355-3898, or (888) 600-7658 Ext 366664)  who made it happen. Apparently, it requires a software update on ROKU2 HD receiver. The screen for this update can be retrieved by pressing Home key 5 times, fast forward key 3 times and rewind key 2 times on the remote. If it does not work, it will require the changing/configuring of the IP address (in my case it was set up as 192.168.1.1).This agent John seems to be very familiar with this particular problem and the latest software update. He also explained why COMCAST/XFINITY Signature Support were unable to resolve this issue. Anyway, it took about 1/2 hour to resolve this issue and the time spent was really well worth it. - Jay Parikh

Contributor
KCWade

[ Edited ]

Thanks -  jaycambay - I followed your suggestions but still had trouble, although you set me on the right path. I called Roku, and since I am currently out of free support – a phone call costs $9 – chat is free. The Tech took me through the same steps stated above; when that did not work I was told that Roku and Xfinity are a known problem/issue – and I should contact Comcast to see if they can help. Before calling I played a little and here is what worked for me, Factory reset Cable Modem – used Roku Secret Page (5 Home 3 Right 2 Left) to factory reset Roku – re-entered wireless info which will still not work but once entered get back to the wireless page and access Secret Page – update firmware, again. This time it will accept and take you through the rest of the Roku registration with you wifi working – good luck  - 

New Visitor
jsibley

This information was extremely helpful! My Asus modem was not happy with the xfinity gateway as it was installed. I had Internetaccess for a while by providing a MC address to the router but then lost Internet access through the router again.

My call to the 800 number you provided was answered almost immediately and my gateway was in bridge mode in less than 5 minutes. I disconnected the router and reconnected it (not sure if this was necessary) and rebooted it and was back in business. 

Previously, I had called Comcast tech support and had been told I would either need to contact my router manufacturer or pay for specialized support.

Thanks.

New Visitor
charlotte_ray

This was the bomb of all forum posts!!! I was jumping up and down in my living room, when I finally got my Roku to communicate with my gateway SMCD3GNV router!!! THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!! If only I had found this post sooner!!!