New Visitor
croatan
Accepted Solution

Turning off all router settings on a SMCD3GNV

Just spent an entire evening trying to get help from comcast on a few issues. Between hang ups and people not having a clue I was not able to resolve anything.  The burning question is can I just turn off the router functions of this gateway and just use it as a cable modem?  I already have a great network set up - I just need the outside IP.  Thank you very much (and thank you for letting me vent!)

Lost in VA

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Turning off all router settings on a SMCD3GNV

[ Edited ]

Probably better to swap the gateway for a modem. What I do is just take the offending unit down to the Comcast service center and swap it out in person.

Make sure you get a Hand Receipt when you return the Combo Unit.

New Visitor
croatan

I appreciate your suggestion.  I have not been given any options - the local brick and mortar location stated that they do not handle the modems with voip - I would like to continue to use the SMC, but just lose the extra functionality that it has that is not needed.

Connection Expert
JamesR

[ Edited ]

Sorry, didn't realize you were dealing with a telephony gateway.

You would need to schedule a tech to swap out the telephony Gateway for a telephony Modem

An alternative would be to pick up a Modem of your own and install it in parallel with the Gateway.

That would leave the Combo in place as a backup in the event you experience a failure in either your router or the new modem. (would just take a phone call to reactivate the combo when needed)

New Visitor
croatan

Pick up as in buy another device?  I am having a hard time understanding why the routing features can not be disabled.  I have used other devices in the past with that option - FIOS, Bell south, TWC, etc - With routers being so cheap most consumers have the option of just using their own instead of the closed system that this unit offers.

Networking Expert
Baric

croatan wrote:

I appreciate your suggestion.  I have not been given any options - the local brick and mortar location stated that they do not handle the modems with voip - I would like to continue to use the SMC, but just lose the extra functionality that it has that is not needed.

Is your intent to use another router in place of the router function? Or simply to turn off the router/wireless function becasue you only have one wired computer and don't want the overhead?  If the second, I'd say just leave it as is and don't worry about it.  The overhead of the NAT function is not going to be noticable except on very tiny time scales.

As an alternative, you can have Comcast install a 2nd regular cable modem to handle the HSI connection and leave the gateway to the voip stuff and the rest of the gateway will just sit there idle.

New Visitor
diabolicdk1

log into your gateway with the 10.0.0.1 ip address then go to at a glance and there should be a button to enable or disable bridge mode, enabling bridge mode will disable the router part of the gateway and allow you to use your own router like you always have

Regular Problem Solver

Link to complete user guide and quickstart guide for SMCD3GNV:

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpNFC.aspx?print=false&id=e70e9d0e-d9eb-4748-b163-636a323e7950

New Visitor
theguyfromec

I am in the same boat.  It says it right in the manual on page 15:

"If you would like to use your existing router instead of the routing functionality on your Wireless Gateway, the
Bridge Mode on the Wireless Gateway will need to be enabled. An technician can do this during installation, or call 1-800-XFINITY to enable this functionality."

No one and I mean NO ONE at Comcast knows how to accomplish this.  There are not any options in the GUI anywhere to do anything.  This is the most locked down device I have dealt with and I have been in IT for 8 years now.  Most of the people I have talked to don't even know what "bridging" is and keep wanting to transfer me to their "Signature" support where you have to pay someone to tell you that you have been transferred to the wrong department.

Already tried scheduling technicians to come out and replace the gateway with a modem, but they have cancelled my appointment twice now because there was an outage in my area and apparently all tickets are closed when there is an outage.  That makes total sense...

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

As far as I can tell (from the manual), there is no way the user can place the gateway in bridge mode.  From the manual comments about calling Comcast to re-enable bridge mode after a reset, I assume they have to push custom settings to the device, meaning there are other options available with the device that are not visible from the interface in the shipped firmware.

For that reason allow, I would run, not walk, away from this device.  It may be a perfectly sound piece of hardware, but the firmware is crippled.

Regular Visitor
g35flyer

Re: Turning off all router settings on a SMUDGING

[ Edited ]

I just spent on hour on the phone concerning the same topic.  In my 13 plus years of having broadband I have never had a modem that could not be set for bridge mode or passthrough.  The manual clearly states you can enable bridge mode:  If you would like to use your existing router instead of the routing functionality on your Wireless Gateway, the Bridge Mode on the Wireless Gateway will need to be enabled. An technician can do this during installation, or call 1-800-XFINITY to enable this functionality...neither knew what bridge mode even was.  Comcast why did you lock this feature and then have no idea how to unlock it!!!  

Contributor
ajsugg

Re: Turning off all router settings

join the club guys....I'm a field technician for Comcast and I am right along with you all trying to figure out how to enable the freakin bridge mode....

If I can ever find anything out I'll be sure to post.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Turning off all router settings

ajsugg wrote:

join the club guys....I'm a field technician for Comcast and I am right along with you all trying to figure out how to enable the freakin bridge mode....

If I can ever find anything out I'll be sure to post.

To my knowledge, they can SNMP in to the device and do it..

Contributor
brent_oly

[ Edited ]

It's possible to NAT twice.  That's what I'm doing.

The software for the router is very immature.  But if you want to NAT twice and disable firewall, do this.

Setup a static address for your internal firewall using whatever custom IP schema you've either configured or the default (i.e. 10.0.0.254 is what I use).

Click Gateway > Firewall > and then Custom Security.

Check box "Disable entire firewall"

Click Save.

Click Advanced > DMZ > Enable DMZ.

Enter your static inside host address.

Click Save.

Put your firewall device of preference as the DMZ Host.  This will expose your firewall device to all traffice inbound and you can setup your ACLs or whatever without issue.  NAT twice is not the best option, but the only option I've found with this modem.

It's not possible to software disable the wireless, however, you can do this another way with a torx driver.  You can pull the wifi card out and the modem will still work just fine.  Be sure to keep this handy if you need to return or exhange your modem so you can put it back together.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

brent_oly wrote:

NAT twice is not the best option, but the only option I've found with this modem.

Nope. A double NAT condition is never a good idea !

Contributor
brent_oly

I don't disagree.  In fact, I completely agree.  However, putting the inside host in the DMZ and disabling the firewall is working fine for me.

I can VPN tunnel through, along with other services that you might expect to have trouble with double translation.  Ofcourse, I'm using a Cisco ASA so it might be a little better at handling the double translation than other soho devices.

Calling Comcast isn't one of the solutions.  I called them about this, and ofcourse, I was referred to their pay service to help setup my home network (LOL).

Too bad there is no way to turn on bridged mode on this device.  If you have a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

New Visitor
tallyboy

I agree with the statements in this thread. If only comcast support is better. I was with comcast support for 2 hours yesterday with no help. None understood what i was asking for, which is to be able to setup bridge mode on my router.

I can live with not having a bridge mode if the router at least was able to retain the local ip address assigned to my devices connected to it. I have port forwarding / other rules set for my devices on this router but that is of no use as the router keeps assigning a new ip each time the devices are restarted. There is no way to setup a static internal Ip with this router. It sucks! Each time i talk to support about setting up a static ip, they ask about an external static ip and charge for it.

Contributor
brent_oly

You can setup static internal addresses (e.g. 10.x.x.x).  Just set them up with static addresses and turn off DHCP. 

New Visitor
tallyboy

If i turn off DHCP, do i need to add static IPs on all computers that i have on the network? I have some devices other than computers ( printers, vonage router) how do i set them up then?

Networking Expert
Baric

If you turn off the DHCP function in the gateway, then yes you will have to manually configure each device that needs an IP address with a unique static IP address.  Doesn't sound like what you want to do at all.  The gateway SHOULD remember the IP addresses it has issued to systems in the past and give out the same one, but if hte lease on the IP has expired, it may reuse the IP address for something else.

I do recommend that systems which youa re forwarding ports to have static IP addresses so there is no chance it will change.

You have several choices.

1. Modify the router's DHCP IP range so that it leaves some IP's unmanged and then assign these unmanaged IP's statically to the systems that need them.  The default DHCP managed range is 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.252. leaving you with only .253 and .254 as valid static IP's.  I would change the end address to 10.0.0.199, which leaves 10.0.0.200 to 10.0.0.254 for static assignment.  This leaves the DHCP function up and working for systems that need it while still giving you some static IP's to assign anyway you see fit.

2. Use the router's Add Computer with Static IP function.  The documentation is sparse here, but it looks like you can exclude an IP from the DHCP server using this, but it also might assign the same IP to this device using DHCP.  The exact mechanics of this function are NOT explained so you can try it and see if you like.  The doc makes mention of wireless devices so this may only work with wireless connected systems, but hard to say.

Personally, I'd go with #1.

Regular Contributor
b-slice

this router/modem is really bad....it reminds me of the older 2WIRE devices AT&T used to ship.  At least with those, you can disable all the "features" (wifi, etc) that the gateway has.

I was going to rent this since I think my older Motorola surfboard was going out on me.  I was just going to rent a modem from comcast for one month (to verify my surfboard is the issues and not the comcast service).  Ill just risk it and spend the $50-80 to get a new real cable MODEM, not a silly gateway which I cannot configure.

Seriously, this is a terrible device - stay away if you already have a solid home network in which you only want a outside IP.

Connection Expert
EG

b-slice wrote:

this router/modem is really bad....it reminds me of the older 2WIRE devices AT&T used to ship.  At least with those, you can disable all the "features" (wifi, etc) that the gateway has.

I was going to rent this since I think my older Motorola surfboard was going out on me.  I was just going to rent a modem from comcast for one month (to verify my surfboard is the issues and not the comcast service).  Ill just risk it and spend the $50-80 to get a new real cable MODEM, not a silly gateway which I cannot configure.

Seriously, this is a terrible device - stay away if you already have a solid home network in which you only want a outside IP.

+ one billion !!!!

Contributor

It gets better.  I just spent 30 minutes on hold, to spend 45 minutes with a Comcast tech who read the same online manual I already had to confirm there's no way she could find to enable bridging.  Luckily, she forwarded me to Comcast SIGNATURE Service, who for $44.95 would be happy to enable bridging remotely for me.

Comcast sucks.

I'm taking their stupid gateway back to them and buying my own Motorola cable modem.

Regular Contributor
b-slice

good call!  Im taking mine back and asking them not to charge me $7 (Texas) for the rental fee.  Not sure what the other rental fees are in other states.

I really wish they would let you at least enable bridge mode, or even better, let you install some custom firmware :smileyhappy:

Contributor

Last one.  This is a real transcript from a chat session I just finished.  I couldn't make this up.

Next I order the Motorola SB6120 from Amazon then take this dumb thing back.

analyst Gretchen has entered room

gsabuquiaBLD: Hello paul, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Gretchen. Please give me one moment to review your information.

paul: My Issue: SMCD3GNV bridging and "signature" service

gsabuquiaBLD:  How are you doing today?I understand there is a concern you would like us to address for you today. How may I help you?

gsabuquiaBLD:  Before anything else, I want to extend apologies for any trouble, inconvenience and frustration this issue the has brought along your way. I still honestly hope you're fine.

analyst Gretchen has entered room

paul: Well, if you know how to mode my SMCD3GNV gateway to bridge mode like the "signature" service tech who offered to do it remotely for $44.95, I'd love for you to do that. There is no way to do it from here via the browser interface. I believe you may be able to with an SMTP command.

paul: And I am exceptionally unhappy with this since it was Comcast's suggestion for me to install this darn gateway.

gsabuquiaBLD: As I understand your concern, you want to connect it ot the internet. Is that correct?

paul: Yes. I have an existing wireless router which I use to assign IP addresses to my computers. I simply need this gateway to serve as a bridge.

gsabuquiaBLD: Paul, you do not need a router if you have a gateway since it can stand both as a router and a modem.

paul: I don't want to use your gateway as a wireless router. Mine is better. I simply want yours to bridge, which your "signature service" guy said he could do remotely if I'd pay for it!

gsabuquiaBLD: SMCD3GNV is a gatewat, right?

paul: yep

gsabuquiaBLD: Thank you Paul. You do not need a router to connect to the internet Paul since the

gateway can do the work of the router and the modem.

paul: Yeah, you're nice Gretchen. You have a nice type. You must not have read my note above. The gateway's wireless capablity is not as good as mine. Comcast told me to swap my old modem for this thing because it had faster up/download speeds. So I did. Now I need it to be put in bridge mode so I get the benefit of that speed while still using my existing wireless router.

gsabuquiaBLD: What is the brand of your router?

paul: Apple. I'm not sure that will help mode the gateway to bridging however.

gsabuquiaBLD: Thank you Paul.

gsabuquiaBLD: Paul, you need to contact the manufacturer of the gateway on this number, 800-762-4968. They will be able to help you with your concern.

paul: Did that. They auto-forward to the Comcast service number.

gsabuquiaBLD: Paul, normally that will not affect the speed of your connection though you create that bridge.

gsabuquiaBLD: Actually, it would be better if your connect to the internet directly to the router or to the gateway since it will maximize the speed.

paul: Is it safe to assume that you have no intention of moding this gateway to bridge mode for me?

gsabuquiaBLD: I would really want to Paul. For advance set up like this, we need to do it on your end. I am working with my partner in the higher tier of support.

gsabuquiaBLD: We are giving you suggestion that will for sure help you maximize your internet connection.

gsabuquiaBLD: If you want, I can schedule you a technician to do this for you.

gsabuquiaBLD: This does not mean that we do not have the intention to help you coz we really do.

paul: A technician can't mode this thing from here. There is no software interface through the browser for it. If there's some input I can make, fine tell me what it is. If you have a tech who can do it remotely that doesn't charge me for the pleasure, by all means, please schedule it. If you mean someone is coming here to discover what I already know he can't do, then no thanks. I'll simply buy my own Motorola cable modem, return the gateway to the comcast service center and save the $7/month for a box I didn't want and now can't bridge to preserve my existing network.

gsabuquiaBLD: You need to be hard wired to the gateway in order to be able to access the gateway page with,http://10.0.0.1

paul: all logged in

gsabuquiaBLD: Do you see any options for bridge?

paul: nope. aren't any.

gsabuquiaBLD: Im so sorry Paul, that is the only way to put any modem or router on bridge mode. Please be reminded that this is no longer within the scope of our support. This is an advance set up and thus would require assistance from the manufacturer of the gateway/router.

paul: Thanks.

gsabuquiaBLD: Your welcome. Will there be anything else that you would want me to assist you with?

Regular Contributor
b-slice

wow!

"gsabuquiaBLDIm so sorry Paul, that is the only way to put any modem or router on bridge mode. Please be reminded that this is no longer within the scope of our support. This is an advance set up and thus would require assistance from the manufacturer of the gateway/router"

the manufacturer sends the device to Comcast...haha..Comcast should fix it before handing it out!

Networking Expert
Baric

I really can't believe how badly Comcast has handled and supported this device.  The device is a piece of junk, the manual is poorly written, and the Comcast techs have no training on how to put the device in bridge mode.  Trying to charge money to do this is just criminal, not be mention completely incorrect.

The folks at Comcast who recommended this device, did the software for it, and rolled it out like this should be fired.

Regular Contributor
b-slice

Comcast....are you hearing us?  Can you help us at all here?

Networking Expert
Baric

For those of you wishing to have the SMCD3GNV gateway placed into bridge mode, but are having trouble finding someone who can do it, send a PM to .  He offered to facilitate this in a previous message here (which escapes me at the moment).

Regular Visitor
g35flyer

Thanks to ComcastLarry my SMCD3GNV modem is now in bridge mode.  What a great guy and Comcast employee.

Regular Contributor
b-slice

I agree - kudos for ComcastLarry!!!!!

Contributor

Too late and too much work to finally find Larry. I'm on hold now with comcast to activate my personal motorola sb6120 modem. Comcast's gateway goes back to them Monday.
Regular Contributor
b-slice

understood...not sure if it helps, but I was able to retuen the SMC Gateway for a 'normal' cable modem called Ubee.  Its just like the Surfboard.

I will run this for Ubee a month and then see if it really was my Surfboard Modem which was going out on me,  :smileyhappy:, then Ill return this and purchase a new modem

Contributor

All,

The request to put the router in bridge mode takes Comcast about 3 seconds to do. The correct number to call to have it done is 800-363-2416 and ask anyone who answers to do this. If that doesnt work for you PM me and I will work with you to get it done. I do this for customers about 4 to 5 times a day.

Regular Contributor
b-slice

I think the point here is that a customer shouldnt have to call into have this enabled

Administrator
ComcastLarry

To all having issues with bridge mode and would like me to assist, please send me a PM.

Private Messages (PM’s)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small white envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The white envelope turns to yellow when you receive a PM.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the yellow envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor
brent_oly

ComcastLarry ROCKS!!!!

Thank you so much Larry!!!!

Contributor
ruckstande1977

[ Edited ]

On phone with Comcast right now. Their router is still broadcasting an SSID and the guy on the phone says it is showing up as just a modem. The tech on the phone said they would take care of this yesterday after I installed the replacement modem. Apparently not.

Just transferred me to signature support. They're kidding right?

Gave up. I didn't know what menu to select and they put me on hold again for another 10 minutes. How do I get me old modem back?

Contributor

I don't think you really want the old modem unless it was also docsys 3.  Newer ones really are faster.  I've had great service from the new Motorola SB6120 i picked up from Amazon for $69.  At the $7/month you'll save on modem rental through Comcast, it's paid for in 10 months.

You'd still need your own wired or wireless router for a home LAN though.

Regular Contributor
b-slice

do you have the option to go back to the local comcast office and just get a "normal" modem?  This worked for me...The "normal" modems are Ubee brand (at least the ones in Texas) and are DOCIS 3.0

Thininking maybe thats an option

Networking Expert
Baric

ruckstande1977 wrote:

On phone with Comcast right now. Their router is still broadcasting an SSID and the guy on the phone says it is showing up as just a modem. The tech on the phone said they would take care of this yesterday after I installed the replacement modem. Apparently not.

Gave up. I didn't know what menu to select and they put me on hold again for another 10 minutes. How do I get me old modem back?

Are you saying you got the SMC as a replacement modem? If so and it's still broadcasting an SSID, send a PM to ComcastLarry and he can get it put into bridge mode for you.  Unfortunately, the phone people are pretty useless about this, they have no clue what they are doing and trasferring you to a paid support service seems to be the new "in" thing to do when presented with something they don't know how to do.  Don't let them charge you for their incompetence.

Contributor
ruckstande1977

[ Edited ]

To answer everyone's question. I have the triple play service unfortunately. I had to send back our old modem because the internet would cut out so they shipped us the SMCD3GNV as a replacement. When I originally spoke to the woman on the phone who was terrific, she said that it was a wireless router. I told her I already have mine and would like to continue using it. She said no problem and that a Comcast guy would have to shut the wireless off when I called to activate it. When I recieved the modem yesterday I did exactly as she said and the person on the phone said no problem and told me it was done. As of today I'm still broadcasting and SSID and the router for whatever reason stopped working for a time and I had to unplug it and plug it back in. I have my router plugged into port number 2 because for whatever reason port number 1 doesn't show as connected in windows.

Also I did PM Larry but it is the weekend so I'm assuming he is off.

Contributor
ruckstande1977

Baric wrote:

ruckstande1977 wrote:

Are you saying you got the SMC as a replacement modem? If so and it's still broadcasting an SSID, send a PM to ComcastLarry and he can get it put into bridge mode for you.  Unfortunately, the phone people are pretty useless about this, they have no clue what they are doing and trasferring you to a paid support service seems to be the new "in" thing to do when presented with something they don't know how to do.  Don't let them charge you for their incompetence.

Exactly, the guy on the other end said it was showing up as a modem only device whatever that means and he never heard of disabling the wireless from his end. Are they joking? I should see if anyone on DD-WRT forums messed with this thing yet.

Networking Expert
Baric

ruckstande1977 wrote:
Exactly, the guy on the other end said it was showing up as a modem only device whatever that means and he never heard of disabling the wireless from his end. Are they joking? I should see if anyone on DD-WRT forums messed with this thing yet.

If you can still see the SSID, then the rep has no idea what he's talking about.  The support folks have the ability to both place this device into bridge mode, as well as disable wireless but leave the router function working.

And it's highly unlikely that DD-WRT will ever work on this device, it's not just a router, the firmware needs to support the cable modem and telephony functions as well.

Contributor
ruckstande1977

Baric wrote:

ruckstande1977 wrote:

If you can still see the SSID, then the rep has no idea what he's talking about.  The support folks have the ability to both place this device into bridge mode, as well as disable wireless but leave the router function working.

And it's highly unlikely that DD-WRT will ever work on this device, it's not just a router, the firmware needs to support the cable modem and telephony functions as well.

A man can dream can't he? Anyway, yeah phone support sucks. I haven't been able to see if our phone is working because our handsets are completely dead but I'm concerned because neither light for Tel 1 or Tel 2 is turned on.

Networking Expert
Baric

If the phones are dead and the tel lights are off, then your gateway is not correctly configured for Xfinity Voice.  I would PM one of the moderators and see of they can assist you in getting this straightened out, or perhaps email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com with the exact situation.  But you're right, being the weekend, you're not likely to get an answer till Monday or so.  No knock against ComcastLarry, but Comcast has not seen fit to get the forums weekend coverage, even though we have been requesting it for years now.

Alternately, I would insist on an EMTA instead of the SMC gateway, and get your own wireless router.

Contributor
ruckstande1977

I do have my own wireless router. That's why I'm here. I don't want to use their wireless device hardware.

Contributor
ruckstande1977

Step one is complete. ComcastLarry has all of my information. I am now awaiting to see if he can do anything about it without me being home.

Networking Expert
Baric

You should not have to do anything on your end, the process is purely remote. You may want to reboot your router, just in case.
Contributor
ruckstande1977

[ Edited ]

On phone with support again trying to get the phone to work. Apparently they have several devices connected to my account and the phone is attached to one I no longer have. Why can't anyone figure this out? They no what device I do have, assign everything to that one. The end.

And we're done. We got no where. They couldn't fix the phone and had to submit a support ticket and the wireless is still on. Also, port #1 shows as disconnected and doesn't light up and I missed my home brew club meeting. Thanks Comcast.