Visitor

Unable to get the WEP/WPA Key?

Hi, I've read a lot of the posts on here but I still don't think I saw a solution to my problem.
First of all, I'm kind of computer challenged, so with that said...

I have a d-link adapter (dwl-g510) , and a linksys router.  The connection on the wireless computer is constantly dropping, says it has "limited" or "very low" connectivity.  It will only connect to the unsecure network.  When I try to connect to the secured network, It has a higher signal, says it is connected - but it never goes past the "acquiring network address".

So, I figured this is because I don't have the key, a WEP or WPA key.  I use the wireless computer, and from what I understand, I have to get the key from the wired computer.  Am I right about this?  In any case, the 2 of us computer users have opposite schedules and it's nearly impossible for me to have access to their computer to get the key (with their permission, obviously).   I saw on another post that you could go to a website, a bunch of numbers.. and log in that way to configure things.  I tried that, and the only number website that showed a place to put a name/password..didn't work.  I left the username blank & used "admin" for the password just like the post said, but still nothing.  The log in box was still there like I put nothing in.

So my question is.... how the **bleep** do I get the key?  And do the two computers have to be using the same key?  Sorry if this was a stupid post, but I just thought I'd give it a try. :smileysad:
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Unable to get the WEP/WPA Key?

private_utopia wrote:
Hi, I've read a lot of the posts on here but I still don't think I saw a solution to my problem.
First of all, I'm kind of computer challenged, so with that said...

I have a d-link adapter (dwl-g510) , and a linksys router.  The connection on the wireless computer is constantly dropping, says it has "limited" or "very low" connectivity.  It will only connect to the unsecure network.  When I try to connect to the secured network, It has a higher signal, says it is connected - but it never goes past the "acquiring network address".

So, I figured this is because I don't have the key, a WEP or WPA key.  I use the wireless computer, and from what I understand, I have to get the key from the wired computer.  Am I right about this?  In any case, the 2 of us computer users have opposite schedules and it's nearly impossible for me to have access to their computer to get the key (with their permission, obviously).   I saw on another post that you could go to a website, a bunch of numbers.. and log in that way to configure things.  I tried that, and the only number website that showed a place to put a name/password..didn't work.  I left the username blank & used "admin" for the password just like the post said, but still nothing.  The log in box was still there like I put nothing in.

So my question is.... how the **bleep** do I get the key?  And do the two computers have to be using the same key?  Sorry if this was a stupid post, but I just thought I'd give it a try. :smileysad:

You create the key in the router's configuration page. Then this key is typed into your wireless network card configuration on your computer. It is best to be connected to the router with an ethernet cable when entering the key because if you are connected wirelessly when doing this you will lose the connection during the configuration. Your router manual will guide you through this process.

This key is only used for wireless connections not wired. All wirelessly connected computers need to have the same key in their configuration.

Regular Contributor

The advice of Fishman is right on.  I installed a wireless router about 5 months ago and could not connect until I had set up the codes on the website for the netgear router.  One other thing, when you do type in the key on the wireless computer, if d-link does like netgear, you need to type in all four keys (that is how many I have on my netgear router).  

Is the wireless computer a desktop or laptop?  Another consideration is if it is a laptop, if you are too close to the router, you cannot connect.  And depending on where the wireless computer is in the house, other things can interfere with the connection-like cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc.  The phones that operate on 2.4 ghz interfere as unless it is 802.11a, the router uses the same frequency.  If you are far from the router, you can use a repeater to strengthen the signal.

Pharmacymom

Visitor

[ Edited ]

I don't know how to go to a place to put in my routers configurations.   I can't get to the configuration pages that were listed in another 'sticky' post to work.. and I don't know where to go to get more websites.  I don't have my router guide or manual, either. 

It's a dell pc, no other devices are around it. 

Also, I have access to the wired computer as well as the wireless computer today... if that helps at all. :smileyconfused:

update:  I sent Linksys an email, because I finally got on the routers configuration site after plundering around the linksys website for hours.  But only some of the pages work... so I still can't do the key thing.  I sent them an email about it, so who knows.  I don't! ha :smileycry:

Message Edited by private_utopia on 07-07-2006 08:32 AM

Most Valued Poster
Firesbane

I can't help with finding the key, but I wanted to point out that you should be able to find a copy of your router's manual online.  Go to the manufacturer's website and look up your specific router model.  You'll probably need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the manual.
Most Valued Poster
N3tb0y

private_utopia wrote:

By chance did you setup any security on your router?  Cause based on your statement above, when you connect to a secured network that has a better signal, tells me you are trying to get on another network than your own.  If you live in an apartment or your home is in close proximity to your neighbor's, chances are you are picking up their network signal too, and maybe secure.  Which is what you should do.  I would follow the instructions in the first sticky here, How to Secure a Wireless router.  This will explain step by step on how to setup your wireless network, and create a WPA/WEP key.  I recommend that you stick with WPA is your adapter supports it.
But don't take my word for it, ask a Comcast Forum Expert, or goto http://www.dslreports.com/
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Signature courtesy of Bladerunner