Contributor
KMA1980

Unable to reset WiFi password

I recently followed the instructions to reset my WiFi password as directed by Comcast using the 10.0.0.1 admin site. However, I initially attempted this while on my wireless password. Now when I try to follow the same steps with a direct connection to the modem it tells me that my current password (Network Key) is wrong. I know the current password I am entering is correct because I have multiple devices connected via wireless using that password. I am thinking that by doing this the fist time while on wireless it messed up settings. I have already tried to Reset the modem and Restore Factory Defaults on the admin site. Is there another solution? Comcast will provide any additional help (except through their paid extended service offer).  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Unable to reset WiFi password

A wireless router has two passwords.  One is the login password that logs you in to the router for admin purposes and the other is the Wireless Passphrase.  Most routers have a checkbox to prevent  Admin acccess from a wireless connection. 

If you have reset the router to factory defaults using the reset button in the little hole on the back of the router, then the wired access to admin has a user name and password that can be found on a tag on the bottom of the router.

Contributor
KMA1980

I have been able to successfully change the login password that logs me in to the router for admin purposes. It's the wireless password that I cannot change. After logging into the router, I go to Gateway->Wizard and type in the Gateway name and Password (Network Key) that are on the router (and also that are currently in use with several devices in the house). After I enter and re-enter my new password, I press "Next Step" and it gives me an error message that my Current Password is wrong.  The current password is correct and currently in use so I know that is not the problem. I am directly wired to the modem when doing this. Suggestions for next steps?

Contributor
KMA1980

Any additional advice on this question?

Connection Expert
EG

Try resetting the device back to factory defaults using the recessed reset button on the rear. This can sometimes clear up some weird corruption issues. Depress and hold the the button in for at least 30-40 seconds or until you see the indicator lights begin to cycle. Be aware that if you do this, all of the customized settings will have to be re-configured from scratch.

Contributor
KMA1980

I have tried that as well and no luck.  Other thoughts or do I have to pay Comcast to help me with this?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Did you actually use the button on the rear or just the one in the U.I. ? Is it an eMTA/telephony type modem/gateway device ? If so you can also try pulling out the battery and remove it from the A.C. power at the same time and wait at least five minutes.

If you are renting the device from them let them know about the problem and just request a swap. You shouldn't have to "pay" anything.

Contributor
KMA1980

I used the button in the rear.  The router is from Comcast. It's an Xfinity router (SMCD3GNV). Comcast is telling me that in order to reset my password I have to call their extended Xfinity support and pay for assistance.

Connection Expert
EG

Did you try removing the battery and unplugging it yet ? If you still don't have any joy try calling the gateway support folks here; 1-800-363-2416. They are a cut above the regular reps. You DON'T HAVE to pay for support.

Contributor
KMA1980

I was able to get in touch with someone at Gateway Services who fixed the issue, thank you so much for your help!

Connection Expert
EG

Glad to hear ! :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
jackpat22

having similar issue....would you mind sharing the solution they provided you with?

Networking Expert
Baric

Just call 800-363-2416 and have them fix your issue.  The gateway support folks can log into your gateway and perform all kinds of changes.

New Visitor
Corey239

I'm having the same issue, and the above # listed no longer connects to comcast as they have disconnected the number *sigh* Any way you can either update with a new # or label the steps from the gateway technician please and thank you

Connection Expert
JamesR

(800)363-2416 or 800 266-2278 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Try 1 800 COMCAST  - 800 266-2278 Instead.

New Visitor
Gud2bqueen

Google "Arris Gateway reset WIFI password"   There is a YouTube video.

Helped me tremendously!