New Visitor
sallopr

Using my own router

Anyone know if I can change from wireless to basic internet service (return the comcast router), buy my own router and set up my own wireless ? Looking to save some $.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Using my own router

Basic answer is Yes.  Buy your own approved Cable Modem and your own Router and return the Comcast equipment.

Big Thing. Make sure you get a Receipt for the equipment that you return.  They are famous for failing to give you credit and if you can pull your receipt out you can get them on the right track.

Approved Modems http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

Gets a little tougher if you have the Triple Play and they have provided you with an EMTA or Telephony Modem to run your telephone service and internet through.

So, the question is, what equipment do you currently have?  Model Numbers would be helpful.

Contributor
WilliamCroysdil

Yes you can that's what I did and he is right hang onto that receipt because it happend to me 2 when I returned their router years ago. they were still billing me for it. So I had to show them the receipt to get a refund
Recognized Contributor

Maybe it's me, I do get confused with all the Comcast billing but my understanding is that my basic internet cost remains the same whether I am wireless or not.   When I took advantage of Comcast's offer of a router for only ten dollars one time payment, my internet bill did not go up.   In my area, there is no two tier pricing between "wireless" and basic internet, just the internet charge plus a discount if you get TV service.   

There are triple play plans, and extra high speed options offered but that does not sound like the case here.

Again, my understanding is that while Comcast used to charge a monthly rental fee for a wireless modem, it no longer does.   So it does not appear that there is any money to save.   if you are still being billed for a modem rental, that sounds like a billing error.   

Charm

Recognized Contributor

I should have added that the comcast router is "free" IF and ONLY IF you rent their modem.   They just raised the modem fee from $5 a month to $7. 

I did double check with the comcast web site and it does state

Customers already leasing a router:

• If you currently lease a router from Comcast, you can keep your existing router and your monthly fee will be discounted to $0 a month.
  • If you would like to exchange your router, please enter your address below to order a new one. We will send you packaging materials with a prepaid label to return your current router. You will be charged for any unreturned equipment.
  • If you currently lease a Comcast Home Networking Gateway device, combination modem and router, you can exchange it for a separate modem and wireless router. Learn more

I got tired of Comcast support telling me the problem was my modem so I just rented theirs which of course didn't work since the problem was in the line connecting to my house, but since the tech had the official comcast modem, he could not use the modem excuse and actually redid the connection from my house to  the pole which solved all the problems.   

Connection Expert
EG

charm2017 wrote:

I should have added that the comcast router is "free" IF and ONLY IF you rent their modem.  

It's still not really "free" as they still own it and it must be returned if one cancels their service just like any cable T.V. boxes that are being rented from them..

Recognized Contributor

Absolutely correct.   That of course is why I used quotation marks before and after the word free.   English language purists consider this to be a misuse of quotation marks although Wikipedia thinks it's acceptable.   The literary term for this is Apologetic Quotation Marks.

Plus charging $10 shipping/installation kit fees means it's not technically free either.  I could have spelled out all of this but I focused on what seemed (and still does) appear to be a questionable assumption of the poster's question.   

In summary, the original poster assumed he would somehow save money by buying his own router instead of using the Comcast supplied router and that there was a different charge between Comcast "wireless" and "basic internet".    I just don't see how. 

Charm