New Visitor

VPN access with cable modem?

We have a home computer that has a comcast cable modem installed and it works great. I also have a work laptop that I would like to use to connect with the cable modem via VPN (at this time, no router- just unplugging it from the desktop computer and plugging it into the laptop). I have installed our VPN client from work on my laptop but it does not seem to recognize when I have the cable modem plugged into my ethernet card. Do I have to install the comcast application on my laptop in order to get this to work? Shouldn't my laptop see the network connection and just allow me to connect via the VPN software?
Most Valued Poster

Re: VPN access with cable modem?

Please do not double/triple/quadruple post. Most people who provide assistance in these forums, usually scan all the forums here.

Thanks again for choosing that Forum Name as indicated/asked @ your orginal post regarding this issuel
New Visitor

I only did it twice as I thought it fell under both forums- sorry
Most Valued Poster

That's okay. Just wanted to let you know

:smileyhappy:
New Visitor

> We have a home computer that has a comcast cable
> modem installed and it works great. I also have a
> work laptop that I would like to use to connect with
> the cable modem via VPN (at this time, no router-
> just unplugging it from the desktop computer and
> plugging it into the laptop). I have installed our
> VPN client from work on my laptop but it does not
> seem to recognize when I have the cable modem plugged
> into my ethernet card. Do I have to install the
> comcast application on my laptop in order to get this
> to work? Shouldn't my laptop see the network
> connection and just allow me to connect via the VPN
> software?

Since you do not use a router:
1. Are you paying for 2 IP addresses from Comcast?
2. When you switch between machines, are you resetting the modem, or just plugging/unplugging cables?
3. Should we assume your work laptop is able to access the 'Net w/o the VPN software?
4. What version of OS is your laptop on?

If you are not paying for 2 IPs, AND you're not resetting the modem, AND you can't access the 'Net from the work laptop, you're probably running into a MAC address issue: Comcast is only keying on the IP from the home PC and won't recognize the work laptop's IP address.

However, even if you do pay for 2 addresses, but your work machine can't see the 'Net, you still may need to reset the modem to recognize the second address when you plug/unplug cables to switch between machines for it to recognize the work laptop, for the same reason as above (MAC address issue).

If your second machine CAN see the 'Net when it's hooked up (without VPN installed), then you should look at the settings of your VPN software. Your VPN may have a built-in firewall blocks all traffic, not allowing the far-end machine to respond back to you.

I routinely run VPN software on my laptop for the work to home connection and have no problems. Many others I know of do also. You really should look into purchasing a router - they're pretty cheap, even the wireless ones - and it would alleviate a lot of your problems, plus give you a good firewall to keep out those nasties. Very easy to set up, and VPN works well without worrying about changing cables, or dealing with IP issues. Sorry this is so long, but there's lots to consider...:smileyhappy: