Regular Contributor
Steveromo

WIFI Works with laptop, but not devices

I have seen many similar posts so I am being somewhat redundant. But, My Arris Router's WIFI works fine with my laptop. But I cannot  connect with I-pad, I-phone or I-pod touch. Signal is there, but after entering security key, get an "unable to connect" message. P.S. The same router worked OK with these devices until recently. Tried several resets of router with no success. Any other suggestions? (I've seen that this is a problem with the Arris, but I want to avoid having to purchase my own router if I can.) Thanks!

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

Re: WIFI Works with laptop, but not devices

[ Edited ]

Did you try changing the security mode to wpa2-psk only, that worked for me with the arris modem.

Regular Contributor
Steveromo

Thanks. But it already is PSK. 

New Visitor

I have the same issue, but with newer (4.2+) devices.  My older Android (2.3) phone connects fine but (2) Galaxy SIII's and a Nexus 7 will no longer connect.

WTH Comcast!?!?!?

Regular Contributor
Jimmy3089

It's not Comcast it's the settings on the apple devices. Not comcast's fault apple sucks.
New Visitor

Ah, so my Samsung GIII's and MY Nexus 7 and now made by Apple?  I am NOT an apple fan either BUT this IS a Comcast issue with their hardware.

This issue seems to be effecting most all mobile devices.  I have (4) Laptops, PS4, a TV, Wii, BlueRay all connected with no issues.  Only issues (and all within the last 1-2 weeks after months of no issues at all) are related to mobile devices.

Connection Expert
EG

Jimmy3089 wrote:
It's not Comcast it's the settings on the apple devices. Not comcast's fault apple sucks.

Not necessarily..

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

Well If changing the wireless security mode didn't work just log into 10.0.0.1 and try changing a few things around with the wifi setting and see if that helps.

If all else fails the Arris routers are getting a firmware update at the end of this month, which was confirmed by a comcast rep.

Networking Expert
kevj

God1hire wrote:

... just log into 10.0.0.1 and try changing a few things around with the wifi setting and see if that helps.

Nice, focused troubleshooting approach...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Networking Expert
kevj

We have seen reports of connectivity issues for Apple (and possibly other manufacturers) devices that relate to having the wireless channel on the router set to Auto. Try changing it to a fixed channel and see if that makes any difference.(Channels 1, 6 or 11 are popular choices, so if you are in an area with a lot of WiFi routers, you may want to find a less crowded channel)

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

New Visitor

I will try that, but what would have changed recently that would be effecting ONLY the newer mobile devices? My older android connects fine, as do all my other WiFi hardware, just not the latest Android devices (and Apple devices it seems).

Does Comcast send out firmware updates to their hardware remotely, and without the users permission?  I have an issue with that, just as I do with any provider force pushing updates (MS OS for example).  If my hardware is working as it should I really don't need an update that breaks everything.

Networking Expert
kevj

It seems Apple devices had some issue with one of the recent iOS updates...It may not apply to Android. It may work for you, and it may not...if you try changing it and it doesn't work, you are status quo.

Regrding Comcast pushing updates...If you rent a gateway from them, they will push new firmware any time they see fit. Same with modems, only they will push new firmware to one you own also, I supposed to keep the revisions that connect to their CMTS consistent. Modem firmware updates are *usually* fairly non-invasive... gateway firmware updates may be more noticeable...which is part of the reason many people like to have seperate modems and purchase their own routers. Comcast cannot push firmware updates to a customer owned router...

Help us to help you!!

Regular Contributor
Jimmy3089

Or you can get rid of the arris device and get a modem and router because personally I don't like the all in one modem/router aka dory device. The coverage sucks and you cannot control a lot of aspects like a regular n router. This will for sure fix your problem
Connection Expert
EG

Jimmy3089 wrote:
Or you can get rid of the arris device and get a modem and router

Or have CC put it in to bridge mode and use your own high quality router with it.

Visitor
nontechy66

I'm having a similar problem with my Droid. I put the wifi on, but it shuts off within ten seconds. By the time I type in ssid and password, the wifi shuts off and I get an unable to save network message. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
New Visitor
Dcarnell

How do you go about changing the channel?

Visitor
nontechy66

When you ask me about changing the channel, I'm thinking what? I do think I know what I did. I clicked on forget (inadvertently) my network. It doesn't show up under wireless and networks. How do I retrieve it?
Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

To change the wireless security: go to this ( 10.0.0.1 ) ip address in your browser and type admin/password for the fields then push log-in. Go to connection on the left column, then wifi, and concluding by hitting edit next to the private wifi network. In the security mode dropdown menu change it wpa2-psk (AES), then save the settings.

Connection Expert
EG

God1hire wrote:

To change the wireless channel: go to this ( 10.0.0.1 ) ip address in your browser and type admin/password for the fields then push log-in. Go to connection on the left column, then wifi, and concluding by hitting edit next to the private wifi network. In the security mode dropdown menu change it wpa2-psk (AES), then save the settings.

I'm not familiar with that device but does changing the wireless security encryption also change the wireless operating channel ?

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

EG wrote:

I'm not familiar with that device but does changing the wireless security encryption also change the wireless operating channel ?

I see I made a typo in my last post, I meant that was how to change the security mode.The wireless gateways operating channels are set to automatic but its best to set it to 6 or 11 for less traffic in the neighborhood.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Whatever channel is the least congested and gives the best performance for any particular individual's environment is what's best.

Connection Expert
EG

God1hire wrote:

I see I made a typo in my last post, I meant that was how to change the security mode.

You forgot to change the rest of the "typo"..  :smileywink:

New Visitor
dinashot

I am having the same problem today.  However, I have a SMCD3GNV router, not an Arris.  I tried the suggestions listed by loging into 10.0.0.1, but everything seems to be set correctly.  I had Comcast reset my modem remotely, but that hasn't solved the problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you in advance!

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

Yea log back into that same address and go under parental controls and disable "Enable Managed Devices" and change the access type to allow all.

New Visitor
dinashot

It was already disabled.

New Visitor
dinashot

Finally got it to work!  Unfortunately, it turned out to be user error.  Thanks for the help!