Regular Contributor
I'm running wireless on a Linksys WRT54GX4...I had the WEP disabled because
I was told it was more trouble than it was worth. But on a recent thread I became
convinced I should have WPA or WPA2 enabled for better security. The only
trouble is if I enable either one the wireless connection goes away eeemeejit. I
tried updating the firmware to the latest and greatest and power cycling the router
without any difference. Can't find anything that says that you have to do any more 
than enable one or the other. I would appreciate any help...thanks.  
Connection Expert
EG

Re: WPA/WPA2

You have to first make sure that the Wireless Adapter in your Computer supports WPA Encryption.

If it does, then all the security settings must match those of your Router's settings exactly. 
Regular Contributor

Well matching 2 laptops and 2 desktops up to the router was kind of a trick

but if I  get it wrong enough times I eventually stumble across the right combo.

Thanks much

Connection Expert
EG

Are you connecting all four of you Computers wirelessly ?

The reason I ask is because WPA only applies to Wireless connections.

Regular Contributor

I normally use wireless on the 2 desktops and my wifes laptop and have a drop
set up for my work laptop. I wanted to set up the work laptop with wpa as well
but it is part of a domain (according to the XP wizard) and not allowed to be
changed. So I left it alone...the IT boys at my shop tend to send Vinny and Vito
out to explain what happens if you mess with they stuff.
Email Expert

If they allow you to take the work laptop home and on the road, I'm very surprised that they don't let you change the wireless security settings, since that makes it virtually impossible for you to connect the laptop to anyone else's wireless network, so what's the point of traveling with it?  And even in the office they should be using WPA; I can't believe that a company with stringent policy on users changing settings would not use encryption on their office wireless network.
Regular Contributor

Their attitude is " our box, our rules " . And actually the only place I use wireless

is here at the house...at work sites I use the laptop as a console for HP, Sun &

Dell servers. I'm pretty much joined at the hip to it...so I can live with plugging a

cable in to go on line.