Networking Expert
kevj

What's the best router for Xfinity Internet???

[ Edited ]

(Information herein is deemed accurate as of 2/7/2011)

This INFORMATIONAL post is intended to answer a question is asked almost on a weekly basis on this board, so here is the answer preferred by 99% of experts.... :smileylaugh:

There is no 'list' of routers that work 'best' with Comcast. There are so many factors involved in deciding which router is best for you, that the general advice given here is stick with either Linksys/Cisco, Netgear or DLink, then use this site to help you make your decision:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30905-how-to-buy-a-wireless-router-short-ver...

Which router to buy ultimately should be the decision of the end user. If we recommend something to someone, and it doesn't fit their needs, we are going to have to answer for why we recommended a specific device...so we don't. We point you in the right direction, and let you educate yourself.

***The information from this point on is being reviewed for accuracy. It is believed that the free router offer from Comcast is no longer in effect, however the webpage referenced below is still operational. You can try it, but it may not work.***

If you so desire, and wish to opt for a free solution, Comcast will send you a free wireless router. The free router is available ONLY for subscribers with rental modems or rental eMTA's. If you own your own modem or eMTA, you are not eligible for the free router offer. You can order it on this page:

https://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter/default.cspx

Be aware however that these routers are less configurable than ones you will find in your local store, as Comcast have the firmware modified to reduce the number of options available to the user, and firmware updates can come only from Comcast. Also, if you terminate service, the router remains the property of Comcast, and must be returned.

(Last Updated 3/21/2012 1026 EDT)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
cz5548

Re: What's the best router for Xfinity Internet???

I contacted Comcast with reference to "their" router. I was told "Unfortunately it is not yet available at your premises."  That was funny since I asked "when" it would be available.  I already knew it wasn't available.  The email was very friendly and suggested that I check back often to see when it's available.  In the meantime he referred me to the friendly customer care site which will eventually have you ending up here looking for another solution.  I imagine that's their subtle way to advising that you can buy one but they just can't come out and say it since they won't be able to support it.  With some great suggestions from some of you all, I'll look for a decent router since my granddaughter needs her computer and wait for Comcast to come up with theirs.

Networking Expert
Weil

[ Edited ]

(Information herein is deemed accurate as of 2/7/2011)

This question is asked almost on a weekly basis on this board, so here is the answer preferred by 99% of experts....)

I am only responding because 99% seems like an unlikely number!!!

Macintosh users (about 10% of new purchasers) might prefer to look at the Apple router as it provides a simple connection procedure as well as a nice automated computer back-up procedure.

sam

Contributor
Mark3601

What are you looking to do with the router? Is it just the basic that you need? Or do you need more? If you can give me more info on what you are looking to do I might be able to help you out by given you info on what routers might work for you. I do not work for comcast at all. I have just been using routers on my home network for many years now, starting with when they were only wired then moved to the wireless, used cheep ones to the top of the line ones. So if you wish to tap my brain, I'll be happy to help.

Mark

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

Smiley added to the 99% reference for those who fail to recognise 'tongue-in-cheek' humor...

:smileywink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true