Bronze Star Contributor
Accepted Solution

WiFi Signal Boosters

Is anyone using a WiFi signal booster with the Infinity Gateway SMC Networks SMCD3GNV modem?  If so which one works?  I've heard that the signal boosters are kind of hit and miss when working with different modems.

Need to get a stronger signal to work behind my fireplace and in the upstairs bedroom upstairs.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: WiFi Signal Boosters

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Many customers using that gateway are having similar issues with poor wifi signal reception. This is what my recommendation to do.

I would  call 1 800 363 2416 and get the built in router placed in bridge mode. Once the gateway is in bridge mode it will act like a simple modem. Then you can connect and use a wifi router of your own.

Bronze Star Contributor

Can you recommend a reasonably priced wifi router, or two, that will go though my brick fireplace and also reach the bedroom upstairs?

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

[ Edited ]

Hello,

If those are only your needs then here are my chooses but everybody has there own preference what might be good for me might not be good for you.

For netgear I like the WNDR3400,3700 and 4500 and the linksys E3200 which we use a lot at work. Never had any problems. 

Prices may vary a lot so it is best you shop around.

Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks, really appreciate the help and guidance 

Bronze Star Contributor

Is it possible that a signal booster would also work?

Networking Expert
Baric

The SMCD3GNV has problems with many signal boosters.  Its wireless function is VERY poor, best to just bridge the gateway and get your own wireless router.

Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks for the input.  Nice to have some experts for those of us that know next to nothing about networks.

New Visitor

We just got comcast internet installed with the router/modem combination SMCD3GNV (believe that is the correct numbers)  

2nd computer in the house is in the basement. (home office) and the router/modem is on the main level.

Home computer in the basement is showing only 2 bars on the wireless connectivity. I questioned the comcast person and he suggested getting a booster. But after reading the comments on this site, wondering if I should just buy another router and "bridge"it like was suggested.  I caught the comcast person before he drove off and asked him about this information I found on this site, asked him what bridge meant. He explained it would be just plugging the new router into the modem/router.

Is this what you are referring to?

Will I have to set up all the computers/ipads, etc with new user info and passwords?

New Visitor
Dglvtotrvl

We are having constant issues with losing the wifi signal. It happens mostly in the evening. It affects our TiVo,laptops,IPads and printer. I was reading the blogs here regarding other people losing or getting a weak signal too. They mentioned putting the Comcast Gateway in bridge mode,then purchasing another router. Is it difficult to do the set up on second router? And do we have to re set up other devices too,or will they be able to recognize and pick up the signal,like it does with the Gateway. We are at our wits end, and are considering hard wiring TiVo to router,but that does not solve the wireless issue with the other devices. Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks!
New Visitor
omaeastside

I worked with Comcast tech support and they changed the factory settings so the wireless router is only on channel 11 and that seemed to resolve the problem I was having (no signal in rooms on the second floor of house when doors were closed).

This was recommended in lieu of bridging w another router

Connection Expert
EG

Two year old marked solved thread now closed.