New Visitor
NinaGS

WiFi Stopped Connecting to Devices

This problem started last week. Up until then everything was working and nothing changed on this end.

We use an AirPort Express to connect to the internet via WiFi. The desktop will connect (although has been disconnecting periodically when the computer is idle) but the laptop, iPad and iPod will not. They recognize the network but won't connect. The laptop will connect to the WiFi at my husband's office.

I've tried disconnecting and resetting everything, but that didn't help. I was on Comcast support chat this morning and the tech did a reset, but the problem persists. Then I tried again this afternoon and was referred to Xfinity Signature Support. The tech said it was a home networking issue and I would have to pay for a plan to get help with the problem.

I would like to find a solution that doesn't include paying more than I'm already paying for Comcast services.

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you! Nina

New Visitor
Dianek1988

Re: WiFi Stopped Connecting to Devices

This too has happened to me. Hmm seems like it is a comcast issue. Please help! I too was referred to Signature Support. Not sure why we have to pay extra when it is a Comcast issue.

New Visitor
gpeka

Hi---not sure why we are having to deal with this issue at all.

Took my Ipad to Best Buy----Geek Squad guy tried connecting it to the in store network.  Bang.  Joined network and accessed internet every time.  He took out his personal phone----connected the Ipad to his phone---no problem.   But about a month ago I started having issues with Ipad connecting to my comcast router.  Will connect intermittently.  Stay connected for a few minutes or a few hours and then lose connectivity.  Can not connect for periods of time and then will connect again.  Too many people with the same problem to believe that it is a "co inky dinky." This is the kind of thing that will drive me away from COMCAST.  Really no reason for my 15 month old Ipad to start having problems connecting to my router when my laptop connects just fine.   The geek squad price to spend 15 minutes checking as much as they could (ZERO $$).  Maybe COMCAST could hire geek squad to help with their apparent inability to figure out how to keep their devices functioning properly.  What a pain this has been.  Reloaded the IOS operating system.  Have done all the standard stuff---no luck.   Oh COMCAST  what did you do?  Too much focus on X1 and not enough on existing technology?   

Contributor
cartuner

When you originally installed the gateway adapter, did you modify the Wifi connection settings from their default? I.e., change the SSID and/or password?

If so, I've found that if Comcast sends new firmware to the gateway, or a reboot command to the gateway, ALL of your customized settings get reset to the default values. This includes, the login password, SSID, wifi password, etc.

New Visitor
NinaGS

Thank you for your response! I ended up changing security settings to none, then back to WPA/WPA2 and then restoring router settings to factory settings and setting up the network again. All is working at the moment. :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
gpeka

Would like to log in to gateway but when I go to the address 10.0.0.1 it asks for username and password.  My understanding is that I should type in admin for user name and nothing is filled for password.   But I only get the message---Authentication failed.......any ideas would be useful.

Thanks

G

New Visitor
gpeka

The password should be filled in with the word password.  My gateway would not let the Ipad in while my laptop and our two android phones were connected to the Wi Fi.  Turned off the Wi Fi on the Androids and it let the Ipad in right away.  Strange -- we have not changed the number of devices that we use or have linked to our home network.  But it seems to be limiting us to 2 devices hooked to Wi FI.   I will re post if that 'solution' does not continue to work.   Thanks for your tips out there.

New Visitor
REGGETZ155

I have had problems with my wireless for many months I called comcast and they referred me to Netgear and they want me to pay to have wireless on my account which is kind of stupid. I already pay for internet thru comcast and now they want me to pay more money to have wireless. What's up with that. After paying for my comcast bill of 200 a month they want me to pay netgear 80 more so that the wireless will work for only 7 months then they will want more money to have the wireless work. I think comcast needs to come up with their own wireless so that their customers don't have to pay more money to enjoy the services they are paying for monthly. Come on comcast get it together.

New Visitor
mwm4

I have no customized settings. I haven't changed anything since we received the service three months ago. Our laptop and phone still connect to the WiFi. But our two tablets suddenly stopped connecting tonight. Even though they sense the network, neither tablet will allow us to re-enter the password.

I got into the Gateway, but there are three different reset options and two restore options. I'm paranoid that if I select any of them I'll loose the WiFi on all my devices. Options:  Reset gateway; Reset WiFi module; Reset WiFi Router; Restore WiFi settings; Restore Factory settings.

Suggestions?

Also, at the top of the Gateway page, there is a battery icon with 0% next to it. What does that signify?

New Visitor
NinaGS

I'm no expert, but as the person who originally started this post I hope I can help! I tried EVERYTHING I could think of before I finally found something that worked (see my other post in this thread about security settings) and the good news is I never made the problem worse by resetting or restoring settings. Best of luck to you. It's such a frustrating situation!

New Visitor
mwm4

I took Nina's advice. I turned off the firewall, reset the WiFi, then restored the firewall. Tablets and everything seem to me working properly now.  Fingers crossed.