Regular Contributor
vspin

Wired-in is NOT working, Wireless is working.

All of a sudden all of our wired-in devices (3) are not receiving Internet, but our wireless devices (2) still have Internet, including our phone. We are using a Comcast modem/router, our wired-in NICs say that they are not connected, which they are, and none of the NICs are lit on the router.

Regular Contributor
vspin

Re: Wired-in is NOT working, Wireless is working.

Tech determined that the wired-in NICs must be bad on the modem/router, so a guy is coming out tomorrow to replace my modem/router.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Are you sure that your wireless connections are actually on your router and not to a neighbors router? What happens if you pull the power plug from the router? Do the wireless devices lose connection?
Networking Expert
Baric

If rebooting the gateway has no effect, you might try pressing and holding the Reset button on the gateway for more than 15 seconds.  This resets the device to factory defaults and if the problem was simply scrambled settings and not permanent damage, this may correct the issue.

I highly recommend you get rid of any Comcast gateway, replace it with a cable modem (EMTA if you have Xfinity Voice service) and get your own wireless router.  The Comcast gateways are junk.

Regular Contributor
vspin

[ Edited ]

<<Are you sure that your wireless connections are actually on your router and not to a neighbors router?>>

Yes, I'm positive. The tech over the phone was able to see my wireless devices connect after he reset everything, and also seen that the wired-in devices did not.

<<If rebooting the gateway has no effect, you might try pressing and holding the Reset button on the gateway for more than 15 seconds. This resets the device to factory defaults and if the problem was simply scrambled settings and not permanent damage, this may correct the issue.>>

The tech did this remotely, but it didn't help.

<<I highly recommend you get rid of any Comcast gateway, replace it with a cable modem (EMTA if you have Xfinity Voice service) and get your own wireless router. The Comcast gateways are junk.>>

Actually, that was the setup I had before they replaced my modem and router with the combo. I still have my router, so I'm going to ask for just the modem when the arrive. I completely agree with you. I noticed their modem/router doesn't have as strong as a radio signal as my router. Maybe it's for security reasons that the signal is not so strong..

Thank you both. :smileyhappy:

Connection Expert
JamesR

You are very welcome.
Networking Expert
Baric

Good luck.