New Visitor
avcapron

Wireless Network setup help

[ Edited ]

My cable connection comes in to the Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem TM722G. When I signed up for wireless, Comcast sent the NETGEAR WNR1000v2-VC to use as my wireless router.

The signal is poor and I want to extend the wireless range. I purchased the Netgear WG602v4 access point to do this.

I can only get the Netgear WG602v4 to work with the Comcast modem by turning off the NETGEAR WNR1000v2-VC.

After many restarts and network configurations and modem recycling I was able to get the Netgear WG602v4 to connect to the internet, but I can't access the router to adjust the settings.

When I tried to connect to the Internet with my Wii, I could not connect through the Netgear WG602v4

Is there a way to get the Netgear WG602v4 to work with the network? The range is great, but I want to use the Wii, also.

I use a Mac OS X 10.6.8 and a Wii to connect to the wireless network.

I was hoping to adjust settings on the WNR1000v2-VC to allow the Netgear WG602v4 to be the access point. I've tried so many different configurations and read so many manuals, my eyes are crossing!

OR to be able to access the Netgear WG602v4 router settings online. I think I can figure out how to get it to be the access point, if I could configure the settings.Perhaps the devices are not compatible, even though they are both Netgear?

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!

***UPDATE:

I was able to turn off the wireless on the WNR1000v2-VC and connect the WG602v4 via ethernet. Now I can connect to the WG602v4 wirelessly from my computer, but I'm having trouble getting a signal from where I want it... still too far away. Haven't tested the Wii, but I can switch wireless to get it on the WNR.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Wireless Network setup help

You realize the WG602 is a wireless-G access point, not wireless-N, right?

You might be better served with a Netgear WP3000RP, their universal wireless extender. 

Personally, I would get rid of the Comcast supplied WNR1000 (and the WAP), it's your basic low-end wireless router, not known for speed or range.  Something like the WNDR3700 would have better range and be faster as well.  Or the Linksys E3200.  Or D-Link DIR-655.  Or something similar.

New Visitor
avcapron

Thank you for the input!

I was able to get Wii to work, so I've learned a lot about networking from this little experiment.

There are so many "extenders" to choose from I was not sure what I should get. Your advice is appreciated  :smileyhappy:

Networking Expert
Baric

Networking is fun and learning by doing is the very best way.

Enjoy!