New Visitor
smoothbeaver

Wireless Router (ARRIS TG862G/CT) to Wireless Router (Belkin N+)

I have the Belkin N+ Wireless Router and was recently contacted by xfinity to upgrade my "older" modem due to increased speed/performance not compatible with the current modem.  I upgraded and received the ARRIS TG862G/CT modem/router, which also has wireless access.  I now have 2 wireless routers with my primary as the ARRIS.

Can I use the ARRIS downstairs and place the Belkin N+ upstairs (2nd floor), wirelessly connect the Belkin to the ARRIS and ultimately increase the wifi range upstairs (2nd and 3rd floors), allowing for better a signal with better performance while upstairs?  I'm thinking the routers will connect better to each other and thus give a greater signal, but not certain if this makes sense.  I have browsed around, but can’t find anything that supports my thoughts.  Anyone ever attempted to do this?  If successful, have any tutorials or guidance?  Thanks in advance!  -Ken

Contributor
fbara

Re: Wireless Router (ARRIS TG862G/CT) to Wireless Router (Belkin N+)

smoothbeaver (love that name!), I have done this, though I used a Dlink router loaded with DD-WRT firmware. 

I believe, and others here can keep me honest, that you need to setup your Belkin as a seperate access point with a different SSID.  I've done this in the past with other modems and routers, not a Belkin.

I ran an ethernet cable from my modem to another router located on a different floor.  Then I setup that wireless router as an access point by turning off its DHCP server.  You need to do that so the two wireless routers don't try to fight each other to direct the network traffic.  I'm sure your Belkin docs will tell you how to do that.

You also need to give it a different SSID because they can't both share that name.

Another method would be to setup your Belkin as a repeater.  In this mode, the Belkin would just get the signal from the modem and 'repeat' it.  You would need to connect these two wirelessly and it would cut your connection speed in half because the modem would need 1/2 its bandwidth to serve the traffic coming from the Belkin.

I don't have any tutorials, but plenty of info exists on tomshardware.com and smallnetbuilder.com.  You can also try the Belkin community forums, I'm sure this has come up before.

Frank

New Visitor
smoothbeaver

Re: Wireless Router (ARRIS TG862G/CT) to Wireless Router (Belkin N+)

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I decided to abandon this thought... the internet speeds didn't appear to be as good as they should.  I ended up contacting comcast and enabling a bridge, my speeds are now 12-15 mbps quicker, lol.  Gotta love paying for service, receiving upgraded equipment, but yet not receiving the speeds advertised when using the equipment.  Anyways, thanks again for your post, I really do appreciate it - happy holidays.