New Visitor
CliffordW

Wireless password

Hi - I'm new to the forum and to wireless.  My son set up my wireless and the modum and everything was running fine.  I now want to download books to my Kindel but need to enter my wireless password - cannot find it anywhere and my son doesn't remember it.  How do I recapure/change the password or otherwise solve my problem?

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

edit

[ Edited ]

edit

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Wireless password

[ Edited ]

CliffordW wrote:

Hi - I'm new to the forum and to wireless.  My son set up my wireless and the modum and everything was running fine.  I now want to download books to my Kindel but need to enter my wireless password - cannot find it anywhere and my son doesn't remember it.  How do I recapure/change the password or otherwise solve my problem?

You could also access the router's configuration pages and see what the wireless security settings are set for. The address is typically http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.2.1 You will likely need a username and password for general access though if you know/remember what they are ?

I don't have a Kindle but is there no way to hardwire it to the router via an ethernet cable ?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Some of the newer Rpiters have a Login button

If you fire up your kindle and see the name of your router and try to connect to your router You may see a message asking yu to depress the button and that will configure your Kindle to connect to your Router.

If you use thei method, it may ask you for the pin number and you can find that on the bottom of your router.

A viable alternative is to use EGs suggestion above  To do that you will need the default user ID and password for your router.

Google default password linksys or default password netgear etc

once you have the default pw for your router, browse in as EG suggests above and enter the UID and ppw discovered above and navigate to Wireless Encryption or Wireless security and you will see the Security Passphrase and Encryption type you need for your kindle.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

edit

[ Edited ]

edit

Service Expert
Bartleby

You don't mention what OS you are running on the computer that accesses your network wirelessly.  (Assuming you are already using the wireless connection.)

It's a fairly trivial matter to look up the encryption key (if that's what you mean by password), under Network Connection info.

Not that the prior suggestions don't provide alternatives...but if you provide more info, we can guide you in looking up the info.

New Visitor

Need to obtain a new wireless password. Can't remember previous password

Service Expert
Bartleby

sister50,

You can reset your router and start from scratch.  You need to go back to factory defaults to do that.

Since you've not provided any details about your router or system(s), we can't provide much more specific guidance.

New Visitor
cmcstHATER

Were you able to figure out your issue? I called comcast but they won't help me for less then $75, which I find unfair since we pay for a monthly service.

Connection Expert
EG

This is a three month old thread but are you also talking about Kindle connectivity issues ? If so these are not Comcast issues but are issues on your own LAN/network..