Bronze Star Contributor

Wireless router not work w/new modem

Comcast sent me a Ubee modem to accommodate the speed increases to Blast. I got it to work when directly connected to the computer, but my router does not connect to it.

I have a Netgear 802.11G router (my own), which I know I need to upgrade fairly soon; in the meantime, what do I need to do to make it work with the new modem?

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Wireless router not work w/new modem

You need to properly powercycle/reset the modem each and every time that you change the device that is being directly connected to it by unplugging it from the power source for about a minute.

If it is a telephony type (CDV) modem with a built in backup battery, the recessed reset button on the rear must be used rather than just unplugging it from the power outlet in order to properly power cycle it. You'll need something like a bent paper clip or a pen tip. Depress and hold in the recessed reset button on the rear until you see the front panel indicator lights begin to cycle, then release. Now give it the time it needs to re-sync with Comcast.

Bronze Star Contributor

It could be that simple? No settings to change, even with a different MAC on the modem?

Connection Expert
EG

Did ya' try it ?

Bronze Star Contributor

Not yet. I'm working from home today and haven't had another period of time when I could be offline. I will this evening though.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

It's really that simple ! The modem has a MAC address cache. That, coupled with a CC residential config file, only allows one MAC addy access to the internet at a time. The modem remembers the last addy that it has seen so a powercycle / reset operation is needed to erase the memory and starts it with a clean slate to allow it to see the newly connected device.

Bronze Star Contributor

It worked! Thanks.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Happy surfing ! :smileyhappy:

While you still have this device, just make sure that you are using the wireless security feature/s.