Regular Contributor
N_Joyin_Life

Wireless router or modem/router and whats the best

In reviewing some posts in the forums I noticed dates going back to 2003 so i want to double check before going to Circuit city tomorrow. I have been told to either get a wireless modem/router or just a wireless router, specifically "Linksys" brand. I already have a d-link modem. When i went to the Linksys site I saw the wireless modem but the description sounded as if it had to be connected to the laptops which in my mind defeats the purpose of having a wireless network to roam my house with my laptop.

My question is if the wireless modem/router (all in one) is not the way to go what type of wireless router should I be looking at purchasing? I saw the letters G & N after the 802.xx and am unsure as to what is best, cost is not an issue until over $200. My laptops are running XP Pro, windows 2003.

I would rather walk into the store having an idea of what I'm looking for considering I picked up a splitter today at Radio Shack that i was told would work that did not.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Thanks, Chuck
Regular Problem Solver

Re: Wireless router or modem/router and whats the best

[ Edited ]
Chuck......
many of us on this Forum use and recommend the Linksys WRT54G router....It had wireless capability and 4 wired LAN ports......It's "famous" for its ability to work "out-of-the-box" with Comcast. with minimal install/operational issues---just hook it up, set up wireless security (password/encryption scheme) and you're good to go!
The G and N designations refer to MAXIMUM throughput speed that's POSSIBLE (though not likely....). G denotes MAX speed of 54 Mbps; N denotes a higher figure (the exact # escapes me......)...BUT these figures are just theoretical; ACTUAL throughput will be somewhat (in some cases substatially) lower....with G being on the order of 15-20Mbps (inTERnet speed) and (perhaps) a tad higher when connecting between PCs on the same system.
The WRT54G can be had for as little as $40-$50; do a Google search for best price(s).
Linksys is, of course, by no means, the only "good" router.....D-Link, Belkin and Netgear all make very good units, and are generally "plug-and-play" when used with Comcast.....It's really your call. The one thing most of us do suggent is sticking to one brand for all hardware; ie., if you have a D-Link router, try to stay with D-Link for wireles cards, ethernet adapters, etc. Most hardware today is compatible, but in the event of any technical issues, it's usually easier to troubleshoot if ALL your hardware is from one mfgr.
Good Luck!
PS....The actual On-LINE throughput speed of a router will be "capped" by the maximum down/upload speed(s) of your ISP....in the case of Comcast (not counting Blast), it's approx. 8Mbps down/768kbps up.....

Message Edited by dsanbo on 07-22-2007 03:55 AM

Message Edited by dsanbo on 07-22-2007 03:56 AM
Recognized Contributor

I would add that you should probably steer clear of the "all-in-one" device - stick with a separate modem and router.  Having them combined creates troubleshooting problems, for starters.  Then, if you wanted to add phone service to your Comcast account, you'd need to get a special telephony modem, at which point your combined modem/router would end up on the scrap heap, and you'd have to buy another router.

You already own a modem, and if it's working well for you, stick with it.  When it's time to replace it, you might consider renting one from Comcast.  Financially, it's a toss-up - two years of rental payments would buy one outright, but if you have modem problems, it's nice to be able to take your modem to Comcast and swap it out for a new one at no cost.  With a router, however, it always pays to buy your own, since Comcast sticks you with a "home networking" charge if you get one from them (and they provide crippled routers, to boot).
Regular Contributor

WRT54G Wireless G is the way to go. I run one and love it. I just replaced my old rented comcat modem for a newer one and upgraded to speedboost.. My laptop is now pulling any where from 2,000 to 3,000 kbs about 70 feet from the router....

Great router and from what I was told the Wireless G routers work quite well with newer laptops. Also another suggestion, update your laptop's wireless drivers.

Good luck.

Spankey:smileyhappy:
Regular Contributor
N_Joyin_Life

Thanks everyone for your responses, I really appreciate them, I'll take that model number (wrt54g) to the store today. I was kind of concerned about the all in one but trust what you say about troubleshooting. As far as my d-link modem, I think rather than replacing it (because it works fine), and i just bought it last year I'll hold off until replacement is needed then go linksys.
Thanks again Chuck.
Thanks, Chuck
Connection Expert
EG

Is that modem's model # DCM202 ?

F.W.I.W., if it is, there are known issues with that modem not being able to deliver Comcast's "Powerboost" feature...
Regular Contributor
N_Joyin_Life

It is, but i have not noticed any big difference in speed. I do download large files that do sometimes take a while to get into my inbox, I may be used to it and not know the difference I seem to recall months back experimenting and thought it may not be any faster but it has been fast enough.

Is there something I should be looking for? Or is it something to be lived with as long as I'm using this modem model #?

Is there a site or something to test if it works? CNET shows me this in between T1 & T3.

TIA for any feedback

3035.7 Kbps - You  

3035.7 kbps

Thanks, Chuck
Security Expert
CajunTek

N_Joyin_Life wrote:
It is, but i have not noticed any big difference in speed. I do download large files that do sometimes take a while to get into my inbox, I may be used to it and not know the difference I seem to recall months back experimenting and thought it may not be any faster but it has been fast enough.

Is there something I should be looking for? Or is it something to be lived with as long as I'm using this modem model #?

Is there a site or something to test if it works? CNET shows me this in between T1 & T3.

TIA for any feedback

3035.7 Kbps - You  

3035.7 kbps

Cnet's speed test is highly inaccurate:

Try this one (pick a location near you) http://www.speedtest.net

TANSTAAFL!!

Regular Contributor
N_Joyin_Life

6786 down/ 362 up , thats totally wireless. What are your thoughts? I'm about 15 miles frm San Francisco and thats the test server I selected.
Thanks, Chuck
Security Expert
CajunTek

Looks good...
TANSTAAFL!!

New Visitor

I have a question, has anyone had any issues using a VPN when using the Linksys WRT54G router? Before I buy one I would like to know. In the past I have had a linksys modem and even with the VPN setting set to enable I would have probems "connecting out" using my VPN. I do not plan on using the wireless for VPN just the ports on the router. The wireless will be used for other computers not using VPN. Any thoughts? comments?

Thanks
Chris

Bronze Problem Solver

litmanc1 wrote:
I have a question, has anyone had any issues using a VPN when using the Linksys WRT54G router? Before I buy one I would like to know. In the past I have had a linksys modem and even with the VPN setting set to enable I would have probems "connecting out" using my VPN. I do not plan on using the wireless for VPN just the ports on the router. The wireless will be used for other computers not using VPN. Any thoughts? comments?

Thanks
Chris

I use VPN every day for my connection to the office and I've never had problems.