Contributor
sunny777

Wireless unstable connection

I got Xfinity wireless about 6 weeks ago.  It was working fine until a few weeks ago and now my wireless connection to my netbook is unstable and keeps disconnecting.  To my knowledge I did not make any changes to it but it won't stay online.  I do not feel I should have to pay Xfinity tech support by phone to correct the problem.  Does anyone have suggestions for how to fix this problem so I return to having a stable wireless internet connection?

I am using Vista 7, and have no other wireless devices on Xfinity.  Thanks.

New Visitor
Beoza

Re: Wireless unstable connection

Have you tried loging into your router and changing the default channel the wifi broadcasts on?  If not open your browser and goto 10.0.0.1 in the address bar, the login info will usually be admin for the user name and the password is usually what they wrote on your install paperwork, if not look on the router for the login info.  Change the wireless channel from 1 sometimes it's 0 for automatic, to channel 6.  there's a lot of interferrence on the lower channels that will cause lots of disconnects, I had to change mine from 1 to 6 because everytime someone used the microwave it would kick me offline.  Yes those can do that, so can cel phones, stereos, tv's basically anything that puts out RF can cause wifi drops.

You'll also notice better speeds wireless and a little more range on chann 6.  Channels 6 and 11 are usually really good to use since very few devices will be broadcasting on these channels.

Contributor
sunny777

Hi thank you for your answer.

I did go to the address you directed but I was not able to find where I change my wireless netbook to channel 6 and will check it with clear eyes another time.

Meanwhile I am online by wireless now - I also appreciate that my cell phone might have something to do with the connection being unstable.

Thank you again. :smileyhappy:

Connection Expert
EG

Beoza wrote:

so can cel phones, stereos, tv's basically anything that puts out RF can cause wifi drops.

FWIW, that's not necessarily so. These particular devices operate on different bands than the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands that wireless routers operate on.

Connection Expert
EG

sunny777 wrote:

I did go to the address you directed but I was not able to find where I change my wireless netbook to channel 6 and will check it with clear eyes another time.

The channel gets manually changed in the router. The clients will automatically follow suit and change to using whatever channel the router is on.