Regular Contributor

Xfinity Arris TG852G questions

[ Edited ]

Hi,

A few weeks ago I got this gateway to replace my old one that was phone/internet only.  I figured If I'm going to pay $7/month rental fee, I want the best they have.  My old modem was connected to a Linksys wireless router (100mb/G) with DD-WRT.  These are in my basement.  Those connections went through a patch panel to several rooms in the house, 2 of them having 100mb switches.  One of the cables went upstairs to another 100mb/G router with usb to provide better wireless signal to my upstairs devices as well as so I could printer to a non-networked laser printer. Ok, that is all the background

I got the new modem and hooked it up.  I then replaced my 100mb switches with gig switches a week later.  I have the ethernet on my pc upstairs going from a gig port into the gig port on the pc and another ethernet going into the old router with usb so the printing still works.

Today I'm looking in the options of this gateway and see under Gateway, Connection, Status, Local IP Network, Connection Speed says 100mb.  I'm unsure why this doesn't say 1000mb like in the documentation.

I'm still having some problems with spotty coverage upstairs and am thinking of adding a gigabit/N router up there.  I see there are the ones that run at 150mb and ones at 300mb using different frequencies.  The Comcast supplied one runs only at 150.  Would it matter if I put a 300 one upstairs?  I'm assuming my devies would just auto-switch between the 2 and I would just get faster coverage upstairs.

Thanks

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Xfinity Arris TG852G questions

[ Edited ]

My first thought is your ethernet cables are not fully wired cat5e cables.  Use only cat5e or cat6 cables.  

As for your wireless-N router question, I would definitely go with an N300 router.  But if your wireless clients do not support it, your speed is going to be stepped down.  Mixed environments tend to slow things down some as well, so even the n300 clients will be slower than you might expect.  For the best possible speed, stick with clients with full wireless-n channel bonding capabilities.

Regular Contributor

At first they were not, I found some of my cables were cat5 so I replaced them with cat5e.  This was before I found this speed difference.  I'll doublecheck tonight.  I'm also thinking maybe I should remove battery, power off/on  the gateway and see if that makes a difference since it was plugged into 100mb gear when it was powerered on.

Networking Expert
Baric

That's a good idea as well, but the speed should be negotiated when the cable is attached.  You might look into your gateway settings to see if the link parameters like speed and duplex can be set manually instead of replying on auto-negotiation.  While normally reliable, auto-negotiation of link speed and duplex setting between different manufacturers can occasionaly be troublesome and require manual setting.

Regular Contributor

These settings can't be changed.  There are very few options in these gateways that can be changed.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

This crippling of the firmware load is partly why we always say around here that CC issued gateways and routers bite !!

Regular Contributor

Well, I can see for the average user it's a good thing to disable the options, it would be nice for advanced users to have an advanced button that says you're at your own risk in here and then you can change all the rest of the options.

My theory was if I'm paying $7/month for their device, why have just a voice/data modem when I can have the gig ports and N wireless bundled in there as well, then I don't have to buy the extra hardware.  I would prefer to purchase my own device but they are so expensive it seems it's a 2 year payback.  Before when I just had data it was only about a 6 month payback.

Connection Expert
EG

There are other pitfalls to using these all in one devices..

Regular Contributor

ok, I power reset the device with the battery unhooked and it still shows 100mb.  Ideas?

Networking Expert
Baric

Which LAN port or all of them?  I'd get a new cat6 STP patch cable and connect a known working gigabit ethernet device to one of the LAN ports and look at the lights on both ends of the cable and the gateways internal status.  Any difference?  Do the lights show gigabit ethernet?  Does the internal status agree with the lights?

Regular Contributor

Yes, that was my next thought.

It doesn't show a speed for each port, it just says local area connection 100mb.  The manual shows a picture of that page and says 1000mb.  The manual also says there are 2 led's per port, orange for 100 and green for gig, my ports each show orange and yellow.  I'll try the local attached device tomorrow.  If not, I'll just hang a gig switch off it and connect all my devices through that.

Networking Expert
Baric

It might be a lowest common denominator thing, if one port is 100Mbps, they all are.  A process of elimination might help isolate which it is (if this is true).  Disconnect all but one port on the gateway and reboot the gateway (just to clear it) and check the status until you find the one that shows as 100Mbps.  Might also try testing with a single device as the only attached device and move it from port to port to see if things change, maybe one of the ports is bad or causing trouble.

If the gateway is somehow stuck at that speed, connecting everything trough a frontend gigabit switch will help in internal system to system speeds at least as far as systems connected via the same switch.  How many ports on the gateway are you using?  What exactly is connected to each and what is the speed showing at the other end?

I have never liked these gateway devices.  They inevitably show design flaws and cut-corners when you start to really load them.  My advice would be to stick with a separate EMTA and router.  But that doesn't help your current situation, unfortunately.

Regular Contributor

I'll try that as well, thanks.

I had 5 connections under the old setup, the one of them was a connection I used infrequently so I just left it unconnected with the gateway.

Right now wih the 4 ports I have 1 going to a gig switch, another to a gig switch, one to a 100mb computer that is powered off and one to a TV.  I'll try unhooking all but one and connecting my laptop with a gig port and see what happens.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Well, I figured it out.

I connected my laptop directly to the modem and connected at 1GB.  I then connected it through the patch panel and got only 100mb.  I then did some Google searches and found the bad news.  I purchased this house in 2003, new, and had had the structured wiring package done for about $1200+.  They ran 1 CAT5E cable to each room and split the cable so 6 wires go to data and 2 to the phone jack.  Gigabit needs all 8 cables.  All I can do now is live with 100mb or move my giant computer armoires and re-wire the panel and jacks.  Grrrrr.  I wish they would have just ran 2 cables.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Networking Expert
Baric

Ah, called it in my first post ;-(

To be fair here, 100Mbps was much more common in residential applications 8 years ago, and it was common to do this since a contractor only had to run one cable for two functions to each room.  That said, you can always rewire the wall outlets to use all 8 wires and get full 1Gbps out ot it.  You will lose that phone line but that might not be an issue if you are using cordless phones (say DECT models).

Regular Visitor

Does that Arris gateway have the same Xfinity branded firmware as the SMC gateway, including all crippling involved, like no MAC cloning?

Regular Contributor

This device is pretty crippled but I didn't have a gig router with N so I figured it's better than buying one...for now.

Here's what you can change.

Firewall (you can pick between minimum, typical and maximum or a custom that you can pick features from each.  There are not many selections to pick from)

Parental Control

Port Forwarding, Port Triggering, DMZ.

That's about it.  It's what 99% of people would need to change.  I think it would be nice if they had a special unlock to get to the rest but I guess they figure that's more calls for them.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

texpete wrote:

That's about it.  It's what 99% of people would need to change.  I think it would be nice if they had a special unlock to get to the rest but I guess they figure that's more calls for them.

The wireless range on the SMC all in one doesn't seem to be very good, how does the 852G compare?

Quite a few people are calling in to bridge the inbuilt router because of that. I'm sure they would prefer proper control of their router, without having to call Comcast.

Regular Contributor

Well, it has more range than my Linksys WRT54G did.  I would guess it has the same range as the entry level N routers but not has much as the higher cost ones.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Sounds better than the SMC then...Thanks.
New Visitor
cmurphy_mcse

I too am looking to stop renting my eMTA from Comcast and saw this Arris TG852G is on their supported list.  Can anyone provide me with a vendor and price where I can purchase one.  For some reason, I can't find them when searching the Internet.  Thanks for your help.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Luck.  I'm not sure if you can easily buy these.  I think they would cost around $250 so at $7 month rental fee it would take you around 3 years to make that money back.  By that time, you'd want an updated modem anyway plus you'd be 2 years out of warranty where Comcast would cover it that whole time.  That's the way I look at it.  In my opinion, it's only worth buying your own modem if you have the internet only plan, those modems are only $75.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

A word to the wise. Make sure that they will support it and provision it for service as a customer owned eMTA in your particular market area before you purchase it.