Visitor

Xfinity Wireless Gateway Router

I read in 11/26 Richmond Times Dispatch that Comcast is now offering its Xfinity Wireless Gateway Service providing a combined modem and wireless router at no charge.  They say this can connect dozens of Internet devices at one time. Has anyone picked one up and tried it?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Xfinity Wireless Gateway Router

[ Edited ]
Been getting some complaints about the power / range of the Wifi section of the Smdc3Gnvo combo unit. What is the model of the combo unit they are offering in your area?
Visitor

The newspaper didn't specify.  I'll be definitely stopping at Comcast tomorrow as my modem is 5 years old. I'm tired of resetting it all the time and should be due for a new one anyway.

Networking Expert
Baric

CBull wrote:

I read in 11/26 Richmond Times Dispatch that Comcast is now offering its Xfinity Wireless Gateway Service providing a combined modem and wireless router at no charge.  They say this can connect dozens of Internet devices at one time. Has anyone picked one up and tried it?

My advice, pass this by,  Use only your own wireless router, you get the exact same benefits, and a better router too.  Many of the gateways Comcast is using are very poor wireless access points and you will have to use your own anyway to get full range and performance.  There is a reason it's "free", it's junk.

Contributor
mimi1028

Really? Is the Arris Gateway that I just received "junk?" And how would I go about using my own router? Clearly, I am very technically challenged, but I am trying my best to LEARN!

Networking Expert
Baric

The Arris gateway hardware itself isn't so much junk, but the firmware that Comcast loads on it is really bad.  I don't like gateways in general, they tend to be trouble, have limited features as compared to seperate devices and Comcast has complete control of the router firmware because this is an all in one device.  Why put up with all the negatives when you can just get your own router and not have to deal with the problems?

Just call Comcast at 800-363-2416 and have them place the gateway into bridge mode (essentially turning it into a bare cable modem/EMTA) and connect your own router, purchased from your favorite electronics/computer store.  

Visitor

My advice, pass this by,  Use only your own wireless router, you get the exact same benefits, and a better router too.  Many of the gateways Comcast is using are very poor wireless access points and you will have to use your own anyway to get full range and performance.  There is a reason it's "free", it's junk.

I called Comcast Tech support and they said as of today they were discontinuing the free modem-router combo unit across the whole nation.  He literally received the email notice today.  It sounds like they aren't working out "junk" like you said. They also said the modems have been upgraded twice since I received my unit - 5 years old.  I have them coming tomorrow with a new unit.  Then I'm going out and getting a new Router Cisco Linksys Wireless N Dual Band E4200.  I'm retiring the Linksys 2.4GHz Wireless G.  My understanding is you need Wireless N Dual Band now to run multible computers, XBox and phone wi-fi.  Thanks for the advice. 

Contributor
mimi1028

Okay ... bear with me here - if I call Comcast as suggested & ask them to put my Arris Gateway into bridge mode, won't I still need to have it connected? I guess what I am asking is ... will I then need 2 pieces of equipment, i.e. the Arris Gateway AND my new router? What if I just give back the Arris & hook up the Netgear router that I already have? Can I just replace one with the other? And will I have to let Comcast know that is what I am doing? I am getting confused here & can't afford to end up screwing the whole network up!  Help ... again!

Contributor
mimi1028

Won't that mean having 2 pieces of equipment crowding up my desk instead of just 1? Does Comcast really care what router is used? Also, if I have a Netgear router can I just replace the Arris Gateway with that? You see, I am not technically savvy. I don't want to end up without internet service & have my whole network out of commission! I need step-by-step instructions/directions or I am likely to have a mess on my hands. Right now everything is working with the exception of my Roku XR which won't recognize my wireless connection.

Contributor
mimi1028

Thanks for the advice; I am calling Comcast because this thing has me baffled, but I am curious about how to use the two devices together (the "bridged" gateway & the personal router). Does the router get hooked into the gateway?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Yes. When you bridge the Gateway it then becomes a lodem. Connect your router to it just as if it were any other modem.
Visitor

I had a tech person in today and it wasn't the modem causing connection issues, it is outside somewhere. 

He said you can buy your own modem from a retail store too because Comcast has a rental fee built in to your package. He said that a store bought modem won't work with comcast voice only internet.  I have the phone/modem combo. He said my modem is $7 per month  I would check to see what your paying for the Gateway modem/router combo??

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

It can be confusing.  Anyone with Comcast Internet can get their own cable modem and as long as it's a supported model, you save yourself $7/mo.  I do this with my own Motorola SB6120 modem.  The complication is if you have Comcast's Xfinity Voice service as well as Internet.  This service uses a special kind of cable modem called an EMTA (embedded multimedia terminal adapter), which is basically a cable modem with voice phone jacks to connect your telephones to.  Comcast will only allow you to attach your own if you buy it from them and they only have one model available, an Arris TM722G.  This device is not cheap and there's a required installation charge and tech visit to get it working. 

It makes great financial sense to buy your own cable modem if you have only Internet service.  If you have both Internet and Voice, the decison is much less clear.  You have to trade off the extra cost per month of rental (with free replacement if ncessary) for the increased up front cost of the TM722G and installation fees, and then if it goes south (any piece of electronic equipment can)  you have to replace it (and it's not inexpensive).  Last I heard, the TM722G from the Comcast kiosk in Best Buy was $140 with a $50 installation fee.  At that price, the break even point on rental is out past 2 years (27 months and change).  With a regular cable modem, it's about a year (assuming $85 for the modem).  Viable lifetime on these devices is usually 3-5 years.  Many will work much longer, but you start to run into other issues, like newer speed tiers not being supported on older modems due to DOCSIS version differences, etc.

Visitor

Good Info thanks. I'm looking to purchase  a Kindle Fire and looking to purchase a wireless router which router do you recommend?

Networking Expert
Baric

Any decent router from a major manufacturer should work just fine.  In basic models, the Linksys E2500 is nice.  If you want to step up to gigabit ethernet (and I recommend it if you are coming to move lots of data around your network), the Linksys E3200 is very nice.  Also the Netgear WNDR3700.  I would stay away from Linksys E1000 series devices, I have heard of problems there.  D-Link makes very nice devices as well.  Other nice ones are Apple Airport Extreme and Time Capsules.

There are many different features depending on your needs and how you use your network, so it's hard to give a precise recommendation.

Stay far away from anything advertised as a DSL or ADSL gateway.  Also any device that is includes a cable modem, these combo gateways are trouble.

Contributor
mimi1028

Thanks! That is good counsel; I will do that.

New Visitor
only2jane

The new Kindle Fire at Amazon does not come with an adapter so that you can connect it to your computer to upload and download files. It works great wirelessly for other types of connections. It is my understanding due to a lot of customer complaints Amazon is working on the problem. Before buying one I recommend reading the reviews for the Kindle Fire.  I don't regret buying mine it is still a great device and will be much better when they get an adapter for it. I have faith that in due time they will.

Visitor

My son just got me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I immediately went to Comcast and got the dual modem. Well, I an use it wiresless...IF I AM IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE MODEM. What is the sense of that? I live in a small house and a chronic pain suffer, therefore in bed a lot. Well, I get on DOT (it's not even a line) on my wireless IF I am facing right which is the direction of my modem, IF i turn left...I lose the connection. It's pittiful. I am trying to hook up an access point to help. Sut so far, when I got it "sort of running...my TV went in and out to where it was unwatchable. So please make sure you have a great wireless setting first. I will say the Kindle Fire (I don't have the HD) is amazing I love it.