New Visitor
jayr2

belkin router

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum, and new to comcast. I have a Belkin wireless N router and I don't see it listed on Comcasts site as a supported router. Can anyone tell me if it will work or do I need to get a different router.  Thanks for any replies.

Jayr2

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: belkin router

Welcome to the Forum.

Comcast only troubleshootsthe routers that they provide under their Home Networking Support Programs.

That said your belkin Router should work nicely.

Just run an ethernet cable from the modem to the Wan Port of the Router and connect your pcs to one of the LAN ports or wirelessly.

Remember the Modem needs to be power cycled each time you attach a different device to it so power it down while you are conecting every thing up and then power up the modem.  Power up the Router and finally power up the pcs.  Use this same sequence every time you make a change and you should be good to go.

New Visitor
jayr2

Thanks you James for the quick responce. I will hook it up and se how it works. If I have any more questions I will be sure to ask you guys.

Again : thanks for the info.

Jayr2

Connection Expert
JamesR

You are very welcome.  Don't forget to power cycle the modem every time you attach a different device to it.:smileycool:

Contributor
rmoore4

Well James that's not true because I have a Belkin G wireless router and it is not communicating with the comcast modem. Could it be because its a G router or what? Should I get a new router? If so which one is best with comcast?

Networking Expert
kevj

rmoore4 wrote:

Well James that's not true...

Flawed logic...it IS true yhat if you swap out the device directly connected to your modem, you need to powercycle the modem so it will be recognized UNLESS all the devices you connect have the same MAC address (usually achieved by MAC cloning)

...because I have a Belkin G wireless router and it is not communicating with the comcast modem. Could it be because its a G router or what? Should I get a new router? If so which one is best with comcast?

Was your Belkin router used for a different type of internet connection previously? If so you may need to factory reset it following the manufacturers instructions. If it wasn't, and it previously worked with Comcast, and you get no connectivity between the modem and the router, the WAN interface on the router may be bad, or the cable betwen the router and the modem may be bad, or rthe modems ethernet interface may be bad. If you can connect to the modem using a PC, then that eliminates the modem being bad...check the cable...if the cable is OK, it may indeed be time for a new router. The question of which router is best for Comcast has been addressed myriad time in these fora...please try using the Search function.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
rmoore4

ok so really i just need a new router because i did all these steps i tried changing the MAC address and restoring the factory i even called belkin to assist me with this one and they still can't seem to figure things out so im going to have to move to another router. but like the router works and like i get the wi-fi and everything its just when i get on my computer, ipod ect.. and connect to the router it doesn't allow me to go online or anything. but when i connect the modem directly to my computer the internet works perfectly, and as for a new router you can't give me any suggestions?? i already know i need a Wireless N

Connection Expert
EG

IMO, don't ever buy another Belkin. Belkins bite. Ya can't go wrong with the big three. Linksys, Netgear, D-Link.

Contributor
rmoore4

thank you thats all i needed