New Visitor
aeru18

best router for comcast service

can any one tell me what the best router is right now for comcast internet. i run 4 wireless laptops plus a printer and dont want to sacrifice speed.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: best router for comcast service

Netgear wndr3700 was my choice.  Two radios to handle N and G simultaneously. Guest Account setups so that guests can get to the internet without access to your local net. USB port for Online Storae and streaming video.  Gigabit four port switch.  Built in Data usage monitor.

Works for me :smileyhappy:

Service Expert
Bartleby

You haven't specified what speeds your laptops and printer are capable of supporting, wireless standard-wise.

And generally, "best" is a relative term.  (Not to discount JamesR's feedback.)  But everyone who posts here could probably make a different suggestion, all of which might easily meet your needs for a solid performer with high network throughput speeds.

If cost is no problem, that's one thing.  But if "bang for your buck" is a consideration, that might lead to different responses.

Connection Expert
EG

This site may help;

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/

Those with the highest WAN to LAN throughput will perform best for CC's highest speedtiers. 

Service Expert
Bartleby

That site's chock full of good stuff.  Thanks, EG!

Recognized Contributor

Mac Expert
Joel

A couple of reasons: crippled firmware limits the number of units you can have on the network simultaneously (usually 5). The OP is obviously looking to incorporate a wireless printing solution into the network, and Comcast's offerings will not accomplish this. There are many other reasons as well, but the crippled firmware alone removes most of the functionality and features you find in even the most basic wireless routers available on the market today.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

I setup a network for my brother, he has 2 wired computers 3 wireless laptops and two wireless printers all on the same network using the free Comcast provided Netgear WNR1000 N150 v2  router without any problems.  The two wired computers are using windows 7 home premium. One laptop windows 7 home premium, one laptop windows vista, and one laptop windows xp. One printer is an HP wireless laser and the other printer is an HP wireless inkjet.

Visitor

I have been using  a Netgear "RangeMax" WNR 3500 Wireless N Gigabit Router provided by Comcast since April and it has worked very well. This wireless router is my first experience with the convenience of wireless and I am quite satisfied with its performance. I upgraded from a 7 year old wired Netgear RP 614 router that still worked perfectly fine. The WNR 3500 has a very strong wireless signal and I have had 0 drops since the April install for any of my computers in my 1500 sq foot one story ranch home. I have a desktop and 3 laptops connected to it and and it works very well.

Currently trying to connect the new 4G Ipod Touch to it also. I asked Comcast specifically for this router after researching it and the Comcast guy got one from their warehouse prior to our service call to install my home network. Took advantage of a $50 Home Network installation special Comcast was running last Spring to set up my wireless network.

Only trouble I have had with it is the power supply went out on it 2 months ago and Comcast replaced it.

The power supply Comcast replaced it with seemed to heat up quite a bit so I called Netgear and bought one from them. 

Good Luck.........James

Recognized Contributor

I'm using the free wireless router mentioned earlier. It seems to work fine. I have 3 wired devices attached and use wireless for a laptop, an iPhone and my new Kindle (Christmas came early:smileyhappy:). On the plus side, it has a usage meter onboard, and a wireless on-off switch if you are worried about leeches. On the negative side is the firmware. There is a small bug that nobody (Comcast or Netgear) wants to man up to. The bug does not impact functionality or performance.

Most Valued Poster
jenhome

Ok, I swallowed the Steve Jobs koolaid.. but after owning Linksys and Netgrear, all of which died due some electrical glitch, I bought the Apple Airport Extreme... but  it is a really cool  g/n dual band router which has survived severe  thunderstorms, streams video and music seamlessly and without glitches through the house. Really I just can't make this thing choke.....except when making popcorn in the nuker.   What is it with Microwaves and wireless networks?    Yeah, its expensive, but its solid and never misses a beat.  Yes, it works with Windows. It just works .. and notifies me when it needs a firmware upgrade.  

Connection Expert
JamesR

Sounds like you have anwered most of your questions.  Yes Microwave ovens nterfere with wireless routers as do Cordless phone bases if located in close proximity.

How can we help you?

Connection Expert
EG

jenhome wrote:

Ok, I swallowed the Steve Jobs koolaid.. but after owning Linksys and Netgrear, all of which died due some electrical glitch, I bought the Apple Airport Extreme...

Was that Strawberry or grape flavor LOLLL !!  :smileywink: :smileysilly:

But yeah, The Airport is up there in the top five as far as WAN to LAN throughput goes on that site that I posted.

Visitor

Based on the resposes here I am led to believe there is no need to select a router from the "Comcast supported" list?  I'm getting ready to buy one but I'm a noob to networking.  Also, would there be any benefit to buying a gateway?  When I signed up for Comcast I bought the modem, and RCA Model DCM425.

Email Expert

I believe the "comcast supported" list is modems, not routers.

We pretty much unanimously recommend AGAINST combo modem/router gateways. We recommend buying your own router, because Comcast puts crippled firmware on the gateways they supply. I don't think there's any particular concensus about buying vs. renting the cable modem.

Visitor

Thanks Barmar.  The 'Comcast supported' routers list I was referring to can be found by going to Customer Central, clicking on the GO button under Help with High-Speed Internet, then Home Networking - Wireless Routers, then scroll down the page and select  Basic Information about Comcast Supported Routers, Gateways, and Adapters. 

I've come to the conclusion that these are the routers that Comcast offers tech support for, not a list of routers that will work on their network.

Regarding the gateway question I was thinking I might purchase my own from someplace like Newegg if there were a benefit to getting a new modem as well as router.  The RCA modem has served me well but I was thinking maybe newer is better.

Email Expert

Yes, your conclusion is correct.  That looks like the list of devices that Comcast supplies if you purchase their Home Networking option. Those are the ones that Comcast Tech Support people are trained to help customers configure and troubleshoot. But practically any router should work with the service.