Contributor

cg814wg wireless gateway problems

i recently had comcast installed at my house and they installed the cg814WG wireless modem gateway.  about an hour after the tech left i decided to play some counter strike so i load up steam and everything is fine, load up counterstrike and then i realize that i cant connect to any servers and every time i do my connection drops for a second. i read around the internet and it seems with comcast there is no way to fix this problem and the phone techs have been no help either. is there any way to fix this problem at all? and if not what should i do if there is no fix
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: cg814wg wireless gateway problems

That device is known to be a problem with Steam.  I would suggest you stop paying Comcast monthly for their less than stellar Home Networking package and do it right yourself.  Get yourself a decent wireless router (Linksys WRT54G works well) and rent a cable modem from Comcast or get your own. 
Contributor

alright then new router here we come:/
any others that u can recommend or just the Linksys WRT54G
Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]
Just make sure it's a recent router from one of the top brands, like Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, etc.  They should all pretty much work.  What's best for you is a function of what you need and what you're willing to pay for it.  Each of these companies has many different models with different features.  The WRT54G is a great router (i use it here) and it has many of the most common features.  If you require wireless-N access, then get one of the newer models like the WRT310N, etc.

Message Edited by Baric on 09-23-2008 05:53 PM
Contributor

will this router function the same as the cg814wg but without the dumb problem with steam

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8741365&st=WRT54G&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202648529130

Regular Problem Solver

watwat wrote: will this router function the same as the cg814wg but without the dumb problem with steam http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8741365&st=WRT54G&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202648529...

(Link made clickable in the above.) When hooked up with a cable modem it should be fine. The WRT54G2 is an updated WRT54G with a slightly faster processor and more memory. The G2 does have internal antennas rather than external, which might or might not be a disadvantage. There's a handy comparison of the models in the Linksys WRT54G series at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54g .
Networking Expert
Baric

I really can't speak highly enough about the WRT54G.  It's a monstrously good, all-around router.  I've had two over the last 8-9 year, the first one died after about 6 years because someone who shall go unnamed was doing things they shouldn't have been with it.  I've currently got a v6 hardware version.  I don't personally play Counter Strike, so I can't confirm first-hand that it works well with that game, but I'd be very surprised if there were any issues.
Connection Expert
EG

Baric wrote:
It's a monstrously good, all-around router. 

I'll echo that ! :smileyhappy:
Contributor

[ Edited ]
thanks for the speedy responses guys. Baric, does the WRT54G allow you to disable and mess with the firewall and security settings because i think that is what is blocking steam and counter strike from working correctly. BTW i highly recommend counter strike source if your looking to play an fps

edit: can you guys link me to a place i can drive out to and buy the WRT54G. preferrably a good version of it with antennas on the exterior not internal. ty and goodnight

Message Edited by watwat on 09-23-2008 08:58 PM
Networking Expert
Baric

Yes, you have a large measure of control over the router and its internal functions.  You can't turn off the firewall, but outbound it won't get in your way and inbound you can open up any kind of hole you need to host whatever service you want.

I'm more of an MMORPG kind of guy.  World of Warcraft and Everquest have been big addictions for me.  I'm itching to try the new Conan game, but haven't bought it yet.  and my trial account with EVE Online just expired, and I may be forced into buying a real account to get my fix. :smileyshocked:

As for where to buy, I really like newgg.com as an online retailer for comptuer stuff.  You can also get it from Amazon (which I also love)

Linksys WRT54G at newegg.com

Linksys WRT54G at Amazon.com

Looks like you can save a few bucks at Amazon and you can get free shipping if you don't need it really, really fast.
Contributor

alright ty! hopefully this route rwont mess up my cs again
New Visitor

Hi, I have been running Comcast wireless for years with no problems. In August, we got a new PC running Vista to replace our old PC where the wireless router was connected. It worked fine for about a month---I set it up and there was no problem.  Four different laptops (all running XP) just picked up the wireless and the transition was seamless.

Fast forward about a month, and suddenly, when I logged on with a couple different laptops, I can't get online.  The laptops "see" the network, but I can't connect.  I have entered the network key on all the computers, played around on the wireless web site on comcast, changing from WEP to WPA to no avail.  Comcast came out, gave me a new router and it worked for about a week or so, then the same problem. The new router is a CG814WG. I don't think the router has anything to do with it, since the problem has persisted through two routers. 

Can you help me?  I work from home and this is killing me.
Connection Expert
EG

jojo56 wrote:
Hi, I have been running Comcast wireless for years with no problems. In August, we got a new PC running Vista to replace our old PC where the wireless router was connected. It worked fine for about a month---I set it up and there was no problem.  Four different laptops (all running XP) just picked up the wireless and the transition was seamless.

Fast forward about a month, and suddenly, when I logged on with a couple different laptops, I can't get online.  The laptops "see" the network, but I can't connect.  I have entered the network key on all the computers, played around on the wireless web site on comcast, changing from WEP to WPA to no avail.  Comcast came out, gave me a new router and it worked for about a week or so, then the same problem. The new router is a CG814WG. I don't think the router has anything to do with it, since the problem has persisted through two routers. 

Can you help me?  I work from home and this is killing me.

It would be better if you start your own separate thread for this issue..

How many machines are you trying to connect simultaneously ?

Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember from somewhere that it may be that their supplied gateway devices only allow 4 or 5 simultaneous connections to the internet.

I would call in to Home Networking for support.

Service Expert
Bartleby

EG,

Not sure where you remember it from...but this FAQ states up to 5 PCs:

"24/7 customer support for up to 5 PCs (for Internet connectivity and Home Networking)"  (Just in case the help FAQ won't load...given the quirkiness of the Help & Support function.)
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Bartleby wrote:

Not sure where you remember it from...but this FAQ states up to 5 PCs:

Well thanks Bartleby ! I guess that 4 or 5 was close :smileywink:  :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by EG on 10-02-2008 10:25 PM