New Visitor

comcast + router = slow, no router = fast?

Hi All,

I have spent the vast majority of the day researching this.
I am a new comcast customer and HSI is installed and working fine.

When I connect my laptop direct to the cable modem I get consistent performance and speed.

When I plug in a brand new linksys wireless router WRT54G v5 with the latest firmware the connection speed just drops. I have experimented with this all day and upon googleing the world it appears that I am not alone with this problem and it has nothing to do with what router.

Can anyone advise?
There are two of us who work from home, VOIP phone etc.
Need to have a router running.

Thanks, Digs
Most Valued Poster
dadkins

Re: comcast + router = slow, no router = fast?

Are you powering down(pulling plug) on all equipment before installing the router? You need to so the modem "forgets" the computer NIC's MAC address.

If you have done this, you might try to Clone the computer's NIC MAC address.
Bronze Star Contributor

Linksys has a very good support page, and this issue is addressed in answer ID 201. (URL Too long to post).
The basic suggestion is to change the channel, as you may be running into interference.
www.linksys.com
Contributor
macfan

Actually it does have a lot to do with that router and your experiments prove this. The rev. 5 router is not the same router that Linksys is famous for. (Please do a little reading on Google about this.) It has a totally different firmware operating system in it than in the past as well as a different circuit board. Linksys has received so many complaints about the rev. 5 router that they have started to again produce the old rev. 4 type router in small numbers. It is difficult to locate and there is only one letter difference in the model number so be careful if you decide to go looking for it. I was having similar problems when luck would have it that I fried my Linksys rev.5 with a power spike when Comcast was having troubles on their line. I replaced it with a DGL-4100 gigabit router and you wouldn't believe the speed and reliability increase I got unless you actually saw it.
New Visitor

Hi There,

Yes I have tried all the above.
I have powered down and powered up and I have cloned the MAC address. I am also running a direct WIRE connection to the router and not using the wireless option.

Still slow when the router in, if I plug direct to the cable modem speed is great.

I am going to try the support from linksys and most likely take this router back. However, from what I have read on Google this is a wide spread problem with all routers on comcast and not isolated to Linksys?

Do comcast customers have to notify comcast if they run a router or something?

Thanks, Digs
Bronze Star Contributor

I tried to connect one of these routers for a DSL setup, and after two hours of dropped connections and strange errors, I gave up. Amazon has a long list of frustrated users complaining about this hardware.
I exchanged it for A Dlink router and was up and running in 5 minutes.
Oddly, the salesman at Office Depot said they'd received no complaints.
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I just installed the router you're talking about without any problems. I know absolutely nothing about installing networks. I just followed the CD setup instructions and haven't had any problems at all. It's amazing how easy it was.

The connection speed hasn't seemed to slow down at all.

Did you have problems from the start or did they develop later? I'm a little worried now.
Most Valued Poster
jenhome

Of course it may be slower.. you are running more stuff over it when using the router. VOIP is expensive in terms of bandwith. If you are both using VPN to tunnel to work that is more overhead.

Make sure all your network connections are good. Buy the best cat5e patch cables you can (I don't mean the Walmart variety).. find a local company that specializes in networks and have theme make up what you need or go online to and search for cables.. www.blackbox.com comes to mind. CDW probably also has some better than average cat5e patch cables.

There will always be a bit of a speed drop over the router, but I would not expect it to be significant. . Check that VOIP equipment? Is it creating noise on the network? Hard to tell without a packet sniffer to check for lost packets, resends etc. See if you can find some shareware which can inspect what is going on on your network.. monitor it for awhile. Look for lost packets, excessive traffic when nothing is happening (ie, not on phone, no surfing the net)

Jim
New Visitor

Not to mention that just the router alone, will slow down the connection to a small degree because it's doing network address translation to all of the connected ethernet devices. However everything else sharing that one IP address from comcast will use bandwith.
Most Valued Poster
rickmac

Ya shoulda bought a D-Link ;\
"Neo, you must understand, there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." Morpheus - The Matrix