Contributor

half speed

hi i have a lnksys wireless router. I have 3 computers hooked to it. Two are wireless and one is wired. The wired one gets 3.0mb down but the two wireless get only 1.5mb. the are on wireless b cards. when i speed test them it says something about reciev buffer . what do i need to do to get theses 2 wireless to the speed of the wired

Message was edited by: Anon362693
Message was edited by: Anon362693
Regular Problem Solver

Re: half speed

Anon.....
It's the very nature of wireless NOT to run as fast as Ethernet.....There are several contributing factors: distance between the AP and the wireless card(s), signal strength (signals degrade when passing through walls, floors, etc.), antenna orientation/type on both the AP and the wireless card(s), and just the fact that most Wi-Fi transmitters run on the order of 30-50mW; a "signal booster" or range extender can help in a weak signal situation, but it's not likely to bring your wireless connection up to 3Mbps. You can try moving the AP closer to the wireless units, or vice-versa; increase the signal by using a "booster" or wireless AP, moving all Wi-Fi antenns (one at a time) to see if signal strength improves. Aside from this, there's not much else you can do to "speed up" your wireless connection......
BTW...If you're running XP and have NOT installed SP2, now might be a good time to do so; SP2 addresses several wireless issues, including connectivity...
Contributor

i have good signal stength on both wirelss ,one is ten feet from the router for the time being. when i run speed tests it comes back and says receive buffer needs to be ( a bunch of numbers) throughput is limited to 1.51mb. i have no idea how to cahnge this
Bronze Star Contributor
txnative69

You may want to check into your manufactures product guide to answer your questions, or simply check if there driver updates for your adapters and firmware update for your router. On a different note, my mother has a wireless B card with centrino technology installed and my router is a 54g cable/dsl router(belkin)that her adapter will only limit her card a max of 11.0mbps while my other notebook has a 54g belkin card installed on it and it connected at 54.ombps. There is nothing wrong with having these types of connections unless you go further out of range your signal degrades and with a max of 11. or 1.5 connection goes down interferance becomes more apparent. You can decide on if you need to upgrade on hardware and software or live with what you have.
New Visitor

Check the default network speed settings for the wireless connections. You should see 10/100 and I believe the default was 10 on mine. I had to set it to 100. Unless the wireless network is real old it should support 100.