New Visitor
waterman308

how to set xfinity smc modem/router to bridge mode for using separate wifi router

I would like to set the CC modem/router to bridge mode and understand only someone at Comcast can do that.  However, I called and was told that CC cannot do that, and to just connect my other router to the back of the CC unit!!!

Can somebody help me with this?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: how to set xfinity smc modem/router to bridge mode for using separate wifi router

[ Edited ]

Comcast certainly can and does put the SMC modem into bridging mode for customers.

From an older thread....

"The request to put the router in bridge mode takes Comcast about 3 seconds to do. The correct number to call to have it done is 800-363-2416 and ask anyone who answers to do this."

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: how to set xfinity smc modem/router to bridge mode for using separate wifi router

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Thanks for the info. At least you better than a "Comcast can't do that!" answer.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
New Visitor
rmoriconi

ComcastLarry placed my new SMC in bridge mode.  I send a private message [PM] through this forum to him and he enabled it within a couple hours.  The WiFi signal on the SMCD3GNV is awful.  Bridge mode enabled me to connect my Cisco E3000 router and my wireless signal is much better. Phone still works too.  bridging does not disable the digital phone service. Thank you ComcastLarry1.

Connection Expert
EG

waterman308 wrote:

this unit, which includes telephony, will loose the tele function if it is bridged. 

Some CAE's don't know what they are talking about as usual...

Bronze Star Contributor

If you have a twitter account you can send a tweet to @comcastcares and a tech will reply back.

They're very fast, and Comcast can bridge a modem and still use CDV service. 

Connection Expert
EG

Connection Expert
EG

Year old thread closed.