New Visitor
JChace029

iPad 1 won't connect to Comcast Xfinity TG862G/CT Wireless Gateway

Hi all,

So I had my Comcast service set up a couple weekends ago.

The tech originally brought me a DOCSIS 2.0 eMTA and I attached my own separate Netgear WNR3500U Router, and connected without issue. Connected devices include:

(2) iPhone 4's

(2) MacBook Pro's

(1) New iPad

(1) iPad 1

(1) WinXP Desktop PC

(1) Blu-Ray Player

(1) XBox 360

(1) Nintendo 3DS

I've boldened the device that is about to have the issue.

Comcast has upgraded their High-Speed Internet (HSI) speeds in the Boston region now, so I was upgraded to an ARRIS TG862G/CT Wireless Gateway over the weekend.

Set up of the Gateway went very easy. Set up using WPA2-AES Security using a supplied 16-digit security key. All of the above devices connected at amazing speeds without any issue, until I got to the iPad 1.

When I select the Wireless Network, I get the swirling animation as if the iPad 1 is trying to connect to the network, but it just never connects. I've tried the following steps:

1. Complete factory reset of Wireless Gateway and restarted install & setup.
  2. Complete factory reset of iPad 1, including upgrade to iOS 5.1.1(9B206).
  3. Tried changing following settings on Wireless Gateway
    1. Tried reducing security to WAP2, WEP, down to OPEN WiFi.
    2. Tried changing WiFi channel from Automatic to Channel 1, 6 or 11.
    3. Tried changing name of WiFi network from factory installed, to custom.
    4. Tried manually adding iPad 1 to Connected Devices menu on TG862G/CT.
  4. Connected iPad 1 to outside WiFi networks without issue. It works. Just not on this Gateway.

If I go back to the WiFi network I am trying to connect to, it even shows at times that it is picking up a valid IP address from the Gateway, but still no connection to the internet at all.

Overall I have tried everything I can think of to connect my iPad 1 and to this point, nothing has worked. I have contacted Apple to ensure working functionality of the device, which they confirmed my assumption: It's working 100%. I've also contacted Comcast to confirm working functionality of the Gateway, which is fine seeing as how I have no less than 5 other devices connecting to it without issue right now.

If anyone has any suggestions, outside of what I have already tried above, I would love for someone to help me solve this frustrating issue.

New Visitor
TannerW

Re: iPad 1 won't connect to Comcast Xfinity TG862G/CT Wireless Gateway

I have the exact same issue - and have done exactly as you have.  Even involved the outside wirless service that Xfinity charges 6.95$ per month (That I was required to pay before they would speak to me).  Three hours with them resulted in no solution.  So far I have spent 14 hours trying to resolve this issue with no success.  All other equipment works - except for the IPAD 1.

Please help us xfinity!

New Visitor
JChace029

I also tried the Xfinity Signature Support Service, to no avail. I don't blame the Rep, he was amazing. Walked me through all kinds of steps, checked with peers to try and get a community opinion, but it seems like the eMTA's custom firmware just prevents some items from connecting, namely older iPads, XBox's, and PS3's.

I ended up hooking up a second router (sad work around, but it works. Just hate wasting money to get a halfarsed fix.).

New Visitor
Cindya99

Me Too! - I had a comcast modem without the wi-fi,  and I was using a netgear router. Today I took my modem in, swapped it for the xfinity WI-FI router/modem.  Got it home, set it up and checked my connections.  My PC's, my IMac, my lapops, my macbook pro and all our i-phones connect with no issues.  Then there is my Ipad 1.  Tries to connect, looks connected at times, but it is not connected.  I called comcast, paid the $6.95 to work with a top level tech who was able to log onto my computer... and he could not get the ipad to connect either.

I am going to call Apple tomorrow, but hoping I can find a solution online before calling support again.....

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the Apple Website under troubleshooting IPad

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Products Affected

iPad, iPhone, iPod touch

Symptoms

When using a Wi-Fi network with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you may occasionally encounter the following issues:

• Unable to locate or join a nearby Wi-Fi network
  • Weak or low Wi-Fi signal strength
  • Connected to Wi-Fi network, but unable to access the Internet

This article outlines basic troubleshooting tips and techniques for Wi-Fi on your iOS device. For information on enabling or configuring a Wi-Fi connection, see the User Guide for your product.

Note: iOS devices sold in China may use the term Wireless LAN (WLAN) instead of Wi-Fi. Not all China iPhone models support WLAN; see this article for more information.

Resolution

Many Wi-Fi issues can be resolved by doing the following:

Basic troubleshooting
  • Tap Settings > Wi-Fiand turn Wi-Fi off and then on again.
  • Verify that you are in range of your Wi-Fi router or base station.
  • Confirm that your Wi-Fi router and Cable/DSL modem are connected to power and turned on.
  • Check whether other devices (portable computers, for example) are able to connect to the Wi-Fi network and access the Internet.
  • Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware.
    • For AirPort Base Stations, refer to this article for information about firmware updates. For third-party Wi-Fi routers, check the manufacturer's website for details on updating your firmware.
  • Restart your iOS device
    • Hold the On/Off button until "slide to power off" appears. Slide to power off your device. When it is off, press the On/Off button to turn it back on.

If you are still experiencing a Wi-Fi issue after trying the above, choose the symptom below that closely matches your issue:

If you're unable to locate or join a nearby Wi-Fi network
  • Check to see if the network is available by tapping Settings > Wi-Fi and choose from the available networks listed there. Note:It may take a few seconds for the Wi-Fi network name to appear.
  • Wi-Fi networks configured as closed or private do not broadcast the network name to Wi-Fi devices.
    • Join a closed or private network by tapping Settings > Wi-Fi > Other and entering the Wi-Fi network name, security, and password.
  • Try restarting your Wi-Fi router by turning it off and then on again.
    • Note: If your ISP also provides cable or phone service, check with them before attempting this step to avoid interruption of service.
  • When joining an 802.11n Wi-Fi network, ensure your router is properly configured. See this articlefor more information.
  • Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    • Note: This will reset all network settings, including passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
After joining a Wi-Fi network, you notice the signal strength is weak or fluctuates
  • Try moving closer to the Wi-Fi router or base station to see if the Wi-Fi signal improves.
  • Check for sources of potential interference.
  • Remove your iOS device from any case, stand, or other attachment to see if the Wi-Fi signal improves.
  • Open Safari and try to load a webpage to see if the Wi-Fi signal improves.
If you are unable to access the Internet while connected to a Wi-Fi network
  • If you are using a public or commercial network that requires a login or subscription, see this articlefor more information.
  • Verify that you are selecting the correct network if you are in a location with multiple Wi-Fi networks.
  • Verify that the Wi-Fi network settings are correct. You can view and configure Wi-Fi settings using the following steps:
    • Tap Settings > Wi-Fi.
    • Locate the Wi-Fi network you are currently using and tap The right arrow button.
  • If you've verified that your settings are correct and the issue persists, try the following:
    • Tap "Forget this Network" to reset settings for this Wi-Fi network, including the password. Then try connecting to the network again.
      Note:This can be useful if you identify a network issue and want to prevent the device from automatically using this network in the future.
    • Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network SettingsNote: This will reset all network settings, including passwords, VPN, and APN settings.

Note: If the Wi-Fi network uses MAC address filtering, you will need to add the MAC address to the access list for the Wi-Fi router. The MAC address for your device is listed as the Wi-Fi address in Settings > General > About.

Additional Information

If you are using a Wi-Fi router at home, refer to your user manual/documentation to assist you with some of these suggestions.

• Check the manufacturer's website for firmware or software updates for your Wi-Fi router.
  • Check the wireless security option of your Wi-Fi router:
    • If you are using WEP security and have multiple WEP keys on your Wi-Fi router, try configuring your Wi-Fi router to use only a single WEP key in key index 1.
    • Consider using WPA or WPA2 instead. WPA and WPA2 encryption protocols are newer, more effective security options for wireless networks than the older WEP protocol.
  • Temporarily disable wireless encryption or security on the Wi-Fi router to rule out encryption issues.
  • Disable 40MHz in the 2.4GHz settings on the Wi-Fi router. Mac computers, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch do not support this mode. Disabling it may reduce interference issues.

• Supported Wi-Fi networks vary by iPhone, iPad, iPod touch model (Example: Does my device support 802.11n?). Refer to Tech Specs for detailed information on which standards your device supports.

Find additional information on configuring your Wi-Fi router for use with iOS devices.

Note: Some older third-party routers may not be compatible with all iOS devices, even after updating to the latest firmware. If your iOS devices can successfully connect to other Wi-Fi networks, contact your router's manufacturer to ensure your router is compatible with your iOS device.

New Visitor
anthonydo

My name is Anthony Do , I'm having a problem to connecting my ipad 1 to Comcast network . I Tried so many ways but i could not make it work . If you know how to make it work , Please show how.

Thanks

-tony

my email is anthonydo888@yahoo.com

Contributor

Anthony,

One thing that you can try is to change the default LAN settings. Currently it is based on a 10.0.0.0 scheme. I have noticed sometimes with Apple devices if you change this to 172.16.0.0 or the general 192.168.1.0 scheme that resolves the issue also. This can be done in the router management page under the LAN settings. You can change the gateway address to 192.168.1.1 and the rest will auto set itself up. I have seen many instances where that fixes the issue.

Networking Expert
Baric

dcren21:

My iPad regularly connects to 10.0.1.0/24, no problems.  And since many Apple routers come configured on 10.0.1.1 by default, I can't see this being the problem.

Anthony: 

Two other things to try:

1. On the iPad go to Settings -> WiFi and select your wireless network, then press the little blue circled arrow to the far right of the network name, and press "Forget this network", then try again.

2. On you router (whatever) diable the access or parental controls settings or make sure the IP being assigned to the iPad is "trusted".

3.  Make sure your router wireless uses ONLY WPA2 with AES, do NOT use the combo WPA/WPA2 setting, it causes trouble with many devices.

Otherwise provide more specfic information, exact router and settings (especially wireless), WiFi page contents from the iPad, and IP config data for any other working wireless device.

New Visitor
minniss84

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. None of the solutions posted on this page have worked for me (including the last two).

I guess I'll have to plug in a router as well... sad work around but oh well. At least I have one sitting around from my old apartment!

New Visitor
jayrich50

I have a Iphone4 and a Ipad.  I have had comcast for about 10 days now and up until yesterday evening everything was fine. Since then neither device will stay connected to the wifi.  I have done numerous restores on the phone, reset the router, can get it back-but then the connection goes away again.

the Mac is still connected and operating just fine.

Any ideas why now all of a sudden and what to do.

New Visitor
olehipi

Check the routers Parental Controls.

My iPad was listed as a blocked device! I turned everything off in parental controls section and it connected to the internet right away. Don't know how it got added. My cisco RE100 repeater was on the list too.

New Visitor
tpspiderman

Also found same problems connecting my iPad.

I could get connected to WiFi gateway, but the iPad was not visible as "connected device."  Went to Parental Controls, and found that the iPad MAC address was indeed listed as a blocked device.  I removed it from the list and voila, the iPad now connects.

New Visitor
RJMStern

I have the exact same problems and have tried ll the suggestions.  Hadn't heard about the parental controls, so checked that too. No restrictions there, so nothing to change.  Any other ideas?  

New Visitor
Zia3000

Baric,

I had the same issue as everyone else.  Your solution worked (so far, anyway).  Here's what I did:

1. Followed your Step 1

2. Logged on to my router online via https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-setup/

3. Followed your Step 3

4. Tried to connect on my iPad and.....voila!!

But what are the implications of changing to WPA2 with AES and not keeping the Comcast-recommended combo WPA/WPA2 setting?

Thanks!

New Visitor
354sagbeach

I have been having great difficulty logging into the internet, even though my iPad 2 says I am connected and everything is correct. I started looking at everything on the modem software site (10.0.0.1) and discovered under Parental Control/Managed Devices/Blocked Devices that my iPad was blocked. I reset the values and the internet came up immediately!

New Visitor
dbarkson

I had the same issue with my iPhone.  I was an ATT Uverse and switched to Xfinity and couldn't get the phonen to connect.  I just went into the phone settings menu >General>Reset>then Reset Network settings.  

After that completed, I went back into the WiFi menu and was able to join my Xfinity Network.  Apparently, the IP address or some other setting is different.  

HOpe that helps!

New Visitor
emurphy313

[ Edited ]

I was having this same problem with my iPad (3rd generation).  My iPad had been working on my WiFi for months and then all of a sudden would not connect.  I was able to get it to work by doing this:

1.   On my router settings at http://10.0.0.01 log in  (detailed instructions here https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-setup/)

2.  went to Troubleshooting > Reset/Reboot Gateway.  

3.  pressed "Reset".  

Then I was able to connect my iPad fine.  Very weird, but glad I could get it to work!

New Visitor
tcorb

[ Edited ]

I have had the same exact problem.  I attempted the recommendations above, but to no avail.  I don't have an extra router, and would prefer not having to buy one.  I have an iPad 3 connected with no problem, but the iPad 1 refuses to connect.  It is just perpetually attempting to connect.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

New Visitor
earsman

To join Comcast WiFi on my iPad 1, I had to enter the password using the Network Key from the tag on the bottom of the modem in the iPad settings menu.  It's case sensitive, so use CAPS as needed.  So far so good for me.  Hope this helps.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

354sagbeach wrote:

I have been having great difficulty logging into the internet, even though my iPad 2 says I am connected and everything is correct. I started looking at everything on the modem software site (10.0.0.1) and discovered under Parental Control/Managed Devices/Blocked Devices that my iPad was blocked. I reset the values and the internet came up immediately!

This is the exact same thing that happened to mine. Fixed with this suggestion. Thanks!

New Visitor
Chris_Ro

[ Edited ]

Exact same problem here (ipad 1, newer all-in-one modem)... with one solution.

In my case it was a network issue... I'd intended to do this anyways to support a 1st generation Roku box (which only works over a/b), but it occurred to me that this was affecting the iPad as well and I gave it a shot.

Once I changed from a G/N-only network to B/G/N all was fine... (Connection->WiFi->"Edit" ... change Mode, Save). I stayed with WPAWPA2. You'll need to cycle power on all devices, including the router. I also noticed that the Connection cycled a second time on the modem/router all by itself, but once that completed I was fully connected.

I believe the general issue here - and why we are finding multiple solutions - is that Comcast is recycling equipment (understandably) without a full device reset. So, for some, it's a Parental Control issue, while other folks are finding different fixes.

Best, Chris.

New Visitor
CremeStout

Ok you sound more savvy than I could ever be, but let me tell you that I have an Ipad x2, a Kindle and 2 Iphone working wirelessly using this same router.

I have had it for a year. I remember creating a wireless password from my desk top, in the TG882 setup.

The initial set up was confusing until I got my Admin rights created.

My suggestion is to go back into the basic set up installation. Then check (I use window 7) in control panel if any wireless devices are being seen.

If not seen that would be the first issue to fix.

If you see them you should be able from that to add to network using the log in password you created.

(from the device - It should see the available network as we)

Xfinity has a nice software EZ connect package in the support listing left side lower opening page.

I'm in the Boston area and are getting all kinds of hot spots with the new sharing.

Good luck not sure it was helpful.

Oh make sure your modem is on the good side of any split signal coming into house. I did have a problem of no connection initially (would happen randomly- but signal was so low devices might not be seen)

New Visitor
jeskildsen

I have the new Comcast Wireless modem installed and now have phone service and internet service, however the wireless system only works properly with my Apple I-Mac and NOT with our two I-Pads. We have a network name and password properly setup as a Comcast rep was at our home today and it was ready to go. Our i-Pad connects at times for a few minutes and then disconnects while we are writing e-mails, checking e-mail and so on. 8-10 minutes is all we get. 

The wireless light on the modem is on steady much of the time and then blinks at times. I assume the modem wireless technology is not perfected yet?? Or is not completely suitable for I-Pads? Can I add the Belkin wireless system I had to your modem to get wireless back working properly??

Thanks!

New Visitor
luckypablo

Skip trying to make your new Gateway work as a Wi-Fi system--just bridge to your old wi-fi and move on with your life until we don't need Comcast anymore.  Soon, I hope.