New Visitor
hoski

iPhone unable to join network

Our modem is an Arris TG862. We have 3 laptops currently hooked up by wifi and we have 3 iPhones that were able to join the network 2 weeks ago but no longer have access. The iPhones are on different accounts through AT&T. I've tried forgetting the network on my iPhone and resetting the network on my iPhone and still cannot connect here at home. We can connect to WiFi hotspots or at friends' homes. The connection wasn't that great to begin with here. Comcast and this Modem have to be the reason we are having problems! Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Official Employee
ComcastMattV

Re: iPhone unable to join network

Are you still having issue connection to your wifi? If so please post any error message you are getting. Also what verison of ios you are running as well so we can better help you with this issue.

Thank you

Comcastmattv
New Visitor
Jai_9

Sorry to getting into your thread..

Even iam facing similar issue I've 1 iPhone & Android -Samsung Blaze both connects for some time but later not able to join the network..

I've restarted modem multiple times and later once i changed DHCP range and it worked properly for 10 days but again .. same problem... tried static IP, restarting mobile, reset mobile to default factory settings

Both mobiles works well on other wifi/s but doesn't work at home with Comcast wifi-router.

Please help.

New Visitor
Jlskeeper

I'm also having this problem and running out of data on my cell phone plan.  Sometimes I get error messages saying "Unable to connect to network '-----'."  Then sometimes it will show I'm connected after trying several times except when I try to open a webpage it never loads then I get the page saying that the server stopped responding.  I have an iphone 5 running operating system 6.0.2.  Hope you can help!

Jess

New Visitor
Jai_9

Possible solution... Please try and update the thread..

After login into modem go to Gateway -> Connections -> Local IP Network

Change the Gateway address to 172.16.0.1 or 192.168.... (Basically change to renew DHCP lease time or restart the modem once )

And Decrease the DHCP Lease time to 7hrs (From 1 month or so)

This setting currently helping me.. a day back i kept 24hrs lease time but after coming from office, again facing same problem... but then connected back after few refresh....

Please check if this works...

New Visitor
Jlskeeper

Thanks for the effort but I tried what you suggested and it didn't fix the issue.  The little icon at the top said it was connected but no webpage would open.  Or for one second Google would load and then I tried to refresh to test it and it was back out again.  This is so frustrating!

New Visitor
avey04

I just came onto the forum to post the exact same problem.  We have 4 iphones and 3 of them can connect to our home network fine but my son's phone can't. I'm getting killed with data charges since every time he uses it it's using data.  I thought it was a problem with his phone so went to AT&T but the phone was able to connect to their network without any issues. 

They suggested that maybe I had an older model modem and that I had too many devices pulling from it. Right now we have 3 laptops, the other 3 phones, a wireless printer and a tablet.  I was going to check with my local Comcast office to see if that could possibly be the issue.   Does this seem like a plausible reason?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

The TG862 and the other Comcast gateway devices are poor performers. Customers have encountered all sorts of odd problems with them.

You can bypass the device's problems by calling Comcast and having them put it into bridge mode. Bridge mode disables the wireless router but allows the modem and phone service functions to continue operating. If the rep you talk to doesn't know how to do it, help them out by directing them to http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Complete-Bridge-Mode-on-Arris-devices-Accur.... Once bridged, add your own wireless router to restore WiFi service and multiple Ethernet ports.

Or have Comcast replace the gateway with a straight cable modem if you don't have Comcast's phone service, or with a straight eMTA if you do. Then add your own wireless router.

Better yet, if you don't have Comcast's phone service, buy your own modem and router and say goodbye to Comcast's flaky gateways.

New Visitor
audrea24

I had the same issue with my new IPhone5 But FINALLY FIXED IT! First you need to ensure you are running the latest update (6.0.2) bc it was made to help resolve these wifi issues.

If you are already current on your update then please make sure you reset all network connections by going to general settings- network- reset.   *If you are just completing your update then you do not have to do this

Last step: Most important: Renew your lease when you the log in password for your SSID is accepted. At that time it should work. Mine did! Im still happy about it!

New Visitor
avey04

Thank you Audrea24. That worked!  I wish I had posted this earlier. We've been trying to figure this out for almost 2 months!

New Visitor
Jlskeeper

Bruce, if I go back to using my own wireless router will that affect my internet speed? We had used this wireless router before "upgrading" to this new Comcast one with the phone service and we had all kinds of connectivity issues.  Comcast told us that it was just the old modem we had that was causing the problems but right now I trust them about as far as I could throw them,  I just would like to make sure that if we go back to the same router we won't go back to the same problems.

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Jlskeeper wrote: Bruce, if I go back to using my own wireless router will that affect my internet speed? ...

Without additional information (especially the model number of the router you want to try, and the current modem signal levels) it's impossible to say. And really, the only way to see for sure how a new equipment configuration performs is to try it.

Personally, even if the previous router was a bit slower, I would trade a reliable connection for a slightly faster but unreliable connection just about any day of the week.

New Visitor
Zombie78

Hi audrea 24, I followed the first part of your directions and it worked I was able to actually put in a password.  However the second part I am lost.  Where do you go to renew your lease and how?

New Visitor
avey04

Zombie78 - I didn't have to renew my lease. I wasn't sure what that mean either. But once I put in my wireless password then it worked.

New Visitor
Jlskeeper

Good news everyone! I finally found a fix for my 3 month long process!

Here's what I did if anyone else is having issues and not finding a solution:

first I reset the modem back to factory settings and reset my phone's network info.

then I went into the modem admin site and under connections changed the wifi connection to WEP instead of WEP.  

I then reconnected all my devices and my iPhone is still connected!  I know the security will be a bit lower but I'll take anything I can get!

New Visitor
Jai_9

I tried that setting sometime back... It works for few days then again same issue...

My other observation:

- just logon on to admin page from Laptop and then my Android start working with Wifi... but iPhone(4) most of the time doesn't work

- DHCP lease renewal is currently helping me to use wifi for mobile... (Can't upgrade to IOS 6.0.2 as seems that is for iPhone 5 not for 4... as my iPhone shows it's upto date...

Spoiler
Spoiler
:mansad:

New Visitor
Jai_9

New Visitor
Lowrance4

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Audrea24 for posting this info!  I just had Comcast set up my wireless network and was so frustrated that everything, but the iPhones and iPads were joining.  I saw your response, followed it and WooHoo they all joined.  You saved me a lot of frustration! :smileygrin:

New Visitor
acjscj

A week ago, all of a sudden, our iOS devices dropped off the network. They would come back on together and then drop off together.  Xfinity help line did a reset on the modem, which helped for a few hours, then same problem came back.  Microsoft devices were fine.  A follow-up call elicited an offer to sign-up for monthly support program, with them waiving the $40 set-up fee, but a $15 charge.  We refused offer and asked for another reset.  Another call elicited the suggestion to buy an airport device for the spare router port.

We were close to calling AT&T to come back when I decided to search the Internet for like problems, and found a suggestion in this forum to go into the Comcast gateway management and disable the parental restrictions.  I did that and then set up our iPhone and iPad devices as trusted.  It has been a couple of hours since I did that and all seems to be well now. Hallelujah!

Xfinity technical support was useless.  If this is a known problem by the forum, they should be figuring it out and advising customers to do that. 

When we first installed the system a few months ago, we had major problems with getting my office VPN phone to work, had 2 different technical support people tell me they did not support VoIP, which was ridiculous, and ultimately figured out their routing scheme (10.xx.xx.1) was in conflict with our corporate standard. Changing the IP addresses of the gateway took care of that problem, just in case you ever run into that one as well.

New Visitor
lstevens16

All of our computers connected but the "i" gadgets suddenly stopped connecting to the Comcast Arris TG862. Usage excessive usage fees and 2 almost one hour calls with 2 techs that told me it was out of their control, I can pay for optional support...... Yay this worked!!!  I had never put on parental controls in the gateway management system, must have been a default that is NOW breaking thingsComcast support should know this information!

New Visitor
nastinupe

Thank you so much man.  If i was there I would buy you a beer.  I have seen people deal with this issue for months.  I resolved my problem in a couple of hours thanks to you.  You're da man!!!

New Visitor
nastinupe

You're da man!!!

New Visitor
Fursanawad

I have the same problem with our two iPhones they were connected a few days ago n now they r unable to connect to the network. What can I do to fix it?
New Visitor
iceprincess58

I had comcast install the bundle a few days ago, and immediately couldn't connect my iphone 5 psp3 but could connect my sony laptop and had a weak signal on my ipad 2.  I called comcast repeatedly and finally decided to ask them to bypass the built-in router on their device as I had my own router.  They did I connected my router to their modem and have connected all my devices and the speed is much more like the blast I'm paying for.  Good luck I hope this helps.

New Visitor
dam166

The "Renew Lease" step is what did it for me - I can't believe that it's finally working properly. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it!

New Visitor
jeanine_Unhappy

My iPhone will not join the network and I caanot seem to get a straight answer......

Now can you help?

• Make & Model: Arris Interactive, L.L.C. TG862G
  • Serial Number# 0CF893220B22
  • MAC Address 0c:f8:93:22:0b:22
  • Trying to upgrade to X1 platform, but they have not given me an install date, and so far this modem/router will not allow my iPhones to join.
  • Can you give me step by step troubleshooting?
New Visitor
JP316247

I'm having the same issue daily.  It will stay on network all day then ill goto work and come home....unable to join network.  Currently i have all the devices connecting to the gateway via WIFI set up for ALLOW on mac filtering.  We shall see.  However to let everyone know.  The ONLY way i have been able to reconnect my iphone 4 is to log into the customer side GUI and make a minor change.  Any change has worked. Including removing a disconnected device from the connections list.  So stupid.  The GUI does not always show whats REALLY connected.  And it bounces non stop.  Terrible, TERRIBLE interface.

New Visitor
mnemonics

All our Apple products stopped connecting to the wifi yesterday while all non-Apple products were able to continus connecting. Thanks to this thread was able to find the problem was due to Comcast and nothing to do with our ipad/iPhone/iPod... Went into the Xfinity Gateway (first time logging in here - we've been on Comcast for just 2-3 months now) and disabled parental controls, but it still did not work. Then went and manually added each of our devices and now they are all back to working on wifi !

New Visitor
edwojcicki

This worked for me, too, after a couple of months of frustration. I have an iPhone 5c and ios 7.0.4 but still had the same trouble connecting. I did the general settings-reset network and reloaded my password and it worked. A three-minute solution. Thank you, audrea24.

New Visitor
rjw107141

My wife's iPhone 4 wouldn't connect to our new Xfinity X1 data / voice / modem / router.  After reading your posting, I reset the network settings, re-entered the password for the router, and it connected!

Thanks audrea24!

Bronze Star Contributor
SKORPION2012

Hello,

just chiming in here and was reading up on the topic, in mycase it's an Ipad which only connects for a certain time. However could somebody give me the exact steps again for possible solutions. Since I pad is an apple device it is pretty much the same problem.

thanks