Visitor

linksys router set up

im trying to set up my linksys wireless 4 port switch router model no. wrt54g v4  with the modem comcast provided me , the motorola sb5120.
i put the cd in the laptop and follow the procedures but the modem's power led blinks, and the setup wizard says it cant find the modem.
ive done it before and its worked. but even if i do pass through the laptop detecting the modem, it wont automatically detect the ISP settings and requires me to make a static ip address. i plug in the ethernet cable from the modem to the router's internet port, then plug another cable from a router port to the laptop and i get no internet in my laptop. im a trying to hook up my xbox 360 to the internet so i can have a small network

any comments will be appreciated, thank you
New Visitor

Re: linksys router set up

I have that router and it should work just fine.  Try unplugging both the router and the comcast modem for a least 30 seconds.  Plug the modem back in first and wait for the modem to complete booting up (the lights should be back on), and then plug in the router.  Next, there is a small reset point on the back of the router next to where the plug ports are - use an ink pen and push the reset button in for at least 10 seconds and then watch the router reset... you should now have an internet connection.
Visitor

after i reset my modem and my router, it worked, but the setup wiz says now i have to configure my settings manually, in satatic ip, but i know that comcast ip is supposed to be DHCP, so i click the drop down arrow and select DHCP, then asks for the host and domain name that i dont know but is not needed, so i go on to the next screen for wireless config, lastly the wizard tries to save my settings, and it cant because it cant detect an internet connection.

what do i do know? please help!
New Visitor

call linksys and download another install program.  The CD does not work.

New Visitor

i'm having the same problem this morning.   Did you ever figure this out?
Email Expert

Don't bother with the setup wizard, just configure it from the router's web interface. The only important setting you need to change is to enable wireless security. See Baric's excellent How to Secure a Wireless Router.