Visitor

need arris modem username and password

I need username and password for new arris modem?
Email Expert

Re: need arris modem username and password

Why? Comcast doesn't allow you to change any modem settings. It's not a modem/router combo, is it?
Connection Expert
EG

I don't have an answer for him either, but it may be that he wishes to view the modem's signal stats.
Visitor

I use VNC to connect to my work pc. Since switching to comcast, I can no longer make the connection. My wife can to her work. I'm told the new comcast modem is likely blocking the default port i need for my work VPN tunnel. My wife's uses different port. I need to check the open port settings.
Recognized Contributor

To the best of my knowledge, Comcast currently blocks ports 67, 68, 135-139, 445, 520, and 1080 (and sometimes 25), and no others.  You can't change that, whether you have access to the modem or not.
Connection Expert
EG

Are you and your wife using two different computers at home ? It sounds like you may be behind a home networking router. Is this correct ?

If you are, that is where you need to configure port forwarding for your VPN. 
Visitor

Thanks for your comments
Contributor

Is there a faster....more upper bandwidth Telephony modem than the Arris that Comcast issues to customers(somewhere in the 100Mbps range) that I can purchase out there?????

Please give me a list.....
Security Expert
CajunTek

Since comcast maxes out at 8Mb down most places (Not including Powerboost)... What is 100Mbs modem going to buy you... (Oh and about the best connection you can get anywhere for less than 100 bucks is no where near 100Mbs)
TANSTAAFL!!

Contributor

Getting ready for the upgrade at comcast.....my "B" router gave good speed, my "G" works better but could do better than the 8Mbps that comcast does now. Just looking to buy my own and stand by for the upgrade.......................LOL ROTF:smileylaugh:

As soon as I sell my motorcycle, I plan to get a bigger, fast computer, with a faster, bigger hard drive hard.

Thanks for your information if you have it.
Contributor

Here are some reading from a spped testing site:   Internet Provider: COMCAST CABLE Total Tests Taken: 31 Fastest Download: 13294 kb/s Fastest Upload: 2791 kb/s Average Download: 7590 kb/s Average Upload: 1301 kb/s

By the way I'm really new at networking......but with Linksys routers I've always been up and running in less than 1/2 hour and secured in less than an hour.....spent more time with WPA because of needing folks to get up and man their computers.

Linksys BEFW11S4 was my first, and now I've a WRT54GS ver 7, my son has the speed boost adapter, and daughter has lap top a Linksys "G" adapter installed(don't know what it is except Linsys.)

I really was kidding about the 100Mbps because that's what my tray icon always says when I lay my mouse on it. I'd just like to have a somewhat larger bandwidth modem here when comcast does open a larger pipe.

I really did have to re-install my digital phone after the tech got out of sight.....it stopped working and I wasn't going to wait for another appointment.:manmad:

Email Expert

If you use Comcast Digital Voice, you currently have to use the eMTA that Comcast supplies, you can't buy your own telephony modem.
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

oreanam wrote:

I'd just like to have a somewhat larger bandwidth modem here when comcast does open a larger pipe.

Many current modems have a max download throughput capability of approx. 38Mbps  (not likely in the real world). 

You'll have to wait until DOCSIS 3.0 is implemented, and 3.0 capable modems are made available to be able to achieve anything faster than that.

oreanam wrote:

I really was kidding about the 100Mbps because that's what my tray icon always says when I lay my mouse on it. I'd just like to have a somewhat larger bandwidth modem here when comcast does open a larger pipe.

What you are seeing here is the speed capability of you LAN.

That has nothing to do with the LAN to WAN or (vice versa) throughput capability.

Message Edited by EG on 06-29-2007 09:16 PM
Contributor

I was hoping that I could buy my own......oh....well Thanks any way

Finally got that last laptop finished encrypting......now that took all day....and in the end I'm not sure what I finally did right.

Tried SES, typing the information in to the laptop, hooking up the wire(said the radio was transmitting) the owner didn't know how to turn it on....I didn't, because I don't use laptops. Went through the computer's on board guides, Gateway's web site, down loaded a upgrade finder. Instaled that and needed the wireless connection to use the installed program...............wow it encrypted & connected.....DONE all computers are working online. LOL
Contributor

New Question

What are the ideal readings at http://192.168.100.1 for the Arris telephony modem?
  Status

Status HW/FW Versions Event Log CM State
 RF Parameters Downstream   Freq/Power: 567.000 MHz -8 dBmV     Signal to Noise Ratio:  33 dB     Modulation: QAM256  
Upstream   Freq/Power: 32.752 MHz 41 dBmV     Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)     Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec     Modulation: QAM16  

System Uptime: 2 days 1h:3m:35s Computers Detected: 1 CM Status: Telephony-AC Power Iso OFF Reg Complete WAN Isolation: OFF-Access to WAN is allowed Time and Date: MON APR 21 16:11:10 2008These are my current readings above
Connection Expert
EG

Re: New Question

Hey.... You remembered your thread !

Here are the recommended ranges / figures (taken from the sticky troubleshooting topics at the top of the Forum page) for *all* modems

No modems have specific requirements as all must comply to the DOCSIS standards.

However, some makes and models of modems are known to be more forgiving / tolerant of less than stellar signal stats.

Modem Signal Levels:
If the above steps have not resolved the connection issue, try viewing your modem’s status page and compare the signal levels to the following:
Downstream Power Level: -15dBmV to +15dBmV is the extreme limits that your modem should be able to operate within but ideally this should fall between -10dBmV and +10dBmV
Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): This number is best over 35dB, but you may not have any problems with down to 33dB. Anything less and you will probably have slow transfers, dropped connections, etc.
Upstream Power Level: Ideally this should be within the 30dBmV to 50dBmV range. If it is between 50-55dBmV, you are approaching the upper-limits but should still be able to operate. If this is above 55dBmV or below 30dBmV, you will likely start to see frequent disconnects or modem reboots.
Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): Anything above 29 is considered good. The higher this number is, the better. If this number is below 25 and 29, you have a minute amount of noise leaking in somewhere. If it's anything less than 25, you want to get it fixed as you may have a lot of packet loss or slow transfer rates. note: you will need to contact customer support to find out the value of this signal level as it is not available via the cable modem status page
Upstream Receive Power: Ideally this number should fall within the -10dBmV and +10dBmV range. note: you will need to contact customer support to find out the value of this signal level as it is not available via the cable modem status page

Contributor

Thanks that was what I've been looking for all in one answer.

Thanks again!!
Connection Expert
EG

:smileycool: