Visitor
frey61

netgear usb adapter negated laptop wireless access

I set up a wireless connection on a pc using n300 wireless usb adapter upstairs. everything fine, got connected to comcast router by pushing the wps button. Now my toshiba laptop cannot connect to the internet via its internal adapter. I have run diagnostics so it would reset. but did not work. I have reset the router but that did not work. Did the netgear "hog" the wireless connection???

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: netgear usb adapter negated laptop wireless access

IT's unlikely to have anything to do with the Netgear USB adapter.  While I don't like them in general, recent models seem to work well and they don't cause this kind of problem usually.  But as a simple test, remove the USB adapter and try the laptop again.  If it works then maybe you do have some kind of odd interference issue.  In that case, get a real wireless adapter to replace the USB adapter.  I suspect removing the USB adapter will have no effect, however.  If other wireless systems are working, then I'd suspect either a hardware or settings issue on the laptop, or perhaps you have run out of DHCP assigned IP addresses on the router.  Checking the router config is simple, so I'd do that first.  If the wireless client list hasn't used all your DHCP addresses, then I'd look to the laptop itself.  Try removing the connection and setting it up from scratch.  Look in your hardware event log for messages.  Some laptops have a little wifi hardware switch that can accidently be pressed or moved to turn wifi off (my niece had this happen).  Run diagnostics on the adapter, if possible.

Visitor
frey61

thank you for your repy. But I am not very IT savvy. I have no idea how to check the router's config. It is the xfinity one that came from comcast. makes sense about using up the IP addresses. I understand that the xfinity router is not very good.  I guess I am stuck calling them for service or getting a new router w/ geek squad assistance.

Networking Expert
Baric

There is no single "Xfinity one", they use different models and I would recommend always getting your own, or you get stuck in this no man's land when it comes to support.  If you tell us the precise model (it should be on a label of some kind on the back or bottom of the unit), we might be able to tell you how to go in and check.

To be honest, this is not the most likely scenario, however. It's more likely the laptop is having some kind of issue.  Unless the router is a very old model (some of the ancient Motorola SBG900 gateways came configured with only 5 DHCP addresses), it probably has plenty of room in its DHCP range.

Do you know how to run a command on you computers using the Command Prompt?  Simply to Start -> Run -> cmd and press Enter.  Up pops a Command Prompt that you can issue commands in and see the output. Type:

ipconfig /all

on both systems and copy/paste the output into a post.  It would also help to know what OS each is running, not just Windows, but the exact flavor of Windows (eg. XP, Vista, Windows 7).  If you have trouble with copying the output to the Clipboard, all you ahve to do is click and drag to highlight the output and then right click the mouse to copy it, then paste (Ctrl-V or right click and Paste) into a post here.  If it won't select on dragging, see this link to enable QuickEdit mode.

Visitor
frey61

the router is SMCD3GNV, i am connected using a very long ethernet cable. I also can no longer print to my wireless epson using this laptop for since the wireless no longer works because of the netgear or poor router.

here is my laptop config-using windows 7

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\LisaFrey>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LisaFrey-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PC
I-E NIC
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-1A-04-8B-85-0E
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.va.comcast.net.
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-6C-39-24-8D
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.gateway.2wire.net:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface {F3CDD6CD-A379-4E19-AC05-B701A26AD184}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.va.comcast.net.:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #5

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.{2763B1C3-72AA-4E38-ACBA-6480791E789A}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #6

C:\Users\LisaFrey>ipconfig/all^V

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Well, if the system with the netgear USB adapter is working wirelessly, then your gateway is working.  Unless you can verify that things start working fine on the laptop when you pull the USB adapter out of the other system, you can just drop that suspicion.  My guess is the USB is very, very UNLIKELY to be the cause of the problem here.  The wireless function on the SMCD3GNV is noted as being extremely poor by many other customers, so I'm not surprised the laptop doesn't see it.  Do things improve if you move the laptop closer to the gateway?  How is the gateway's wireless signal secured, WPA2?

On the Win 7 laptop that doesn't connect, what is the output of netsh wlan show all?  That should give us a picture of the wireless environment as seen by the laptop's wireless adapter.

Also, do you have a 2wire/Pace account?  I note a tunnel adapter with a 2wire.net domain in your above listing, which is otherwise unremarkable except that both your wireless and ethernet connections are both down.