New Visitor
expatCanuck

nook Simple Touch can't connect to internet

Greetings -

We have Comcast internet service through an Arris TM504g.

The Arris feeds a Netgear WNR2000 wireless router.

This router has successfully connected (wirelessly) a two-year-old MacbookPro,

a Toshiba NB-305-410, a Lenovo X220, and my desktop PC (via a TP-Link

TL-WN722N adapter).

But, attempting to connect the nook Simple Touch, I get the error

that the nook is connected to the Netgear router, but can't connect

to the internet.

The router isn't filtering MACS.  And I (temporarily) disabled security.

Any thoughts as to what's going on, or suggestions on how to connect

my nook, are most welcome.

Thanks kindly,

- Richard

New Visitor
expatCanuck

Re: nook Simple Touch can't connect to internet

After further research and reading this message, I password protected

our router using the same password as my nook.

Success.

New Visitor
mdades

i have the same problem, the same router, comcast, and a simple touch.  but i have no idea as to what you

mean by using the same password.  my nook does not have or use a password.  the only password i use

is the pw for the wireless router login during the initial setup for configuring the wi-fi on the nook.

so, i have no idea of how your problem got fixed.  could you please provide more details?  and, i read that

message you referenced-  it seems to be of no real use for this, as that modem's menu settings are so

different.  there is no way to setup both a static and dynamic connection at the same time, for instance.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

mdades wrote:

i have the same problem, the same router, comcast, and a simple touch.  but i have no idea as to what you

mean by using the same password.  my nook does not have or use a password.  the only password i use

is the pw for the wireless router login during the initial setup for configuring the wi-fi on the nook.

Yes, pretty sure that he was referring to the router's WEP/WPA/WPA2 password, not the Nook itself.  I have the Simple Touch and on several different wireless networks have never had an issue connecting, including my current Comcast set up.

If your Nook can "see" your network, but you are not successfully logging on, it may be that you are not correctly logging in your router's security passphrase.  The Simple Touch is 11b/g/n compatible, and WPA/WPA2 compliant, so that should not be an issue.  If you are for some reason still using WEP router encryption, I would highly recommend using WPA/WPA2...and preferrably, WPA2 at that.

Also, do make sure that you have flashed the Simple Touch's latest firmware.

New Visitor
expatCanuck

" ... pretty sure that he was referring to the router's WEP/WPA/WPA2 password, not the Nook itself ... "

More or less, yeah.

My experience was that to allow a success nook connection with my home wifi, I had to:

1) enable security on my local wireless router ...

2) ... using the same password as on my B&N account.

I don't think that it should have to work this way (indeed, it absolutely should not) but,

in my situation, that's the setup that was required for me to download from B&N at home

on my simple touch with the latest firmware.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

expatCanuck wrote:

My experience was that to allow a success nook connection with my home wifi, I had to:

1) enable security on my local wireless router ...

2) ... using the same password as on my B&N account.

Yeah, that should not be that way whatsoever!  I never had to adjust a network to my Simple Touch...period!  I simply run the Simple Touch WiFi, pick the network that I want to connect to, and enter the router's pass-phrase.

This makes me suspect that the problem is with your Simple Touch.  Have you by any chance tried completely re-setting the Simple Touch?

New Visitor
expatCanuck

> Have you by any chance tried completely re-setting the Simple Touch?

Yes, I did that on my first (and only) unfruitful go-round with B&N tech support.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

expatCanuck wrote:

> Have you by any chance tried completely re-setting the Simple Touch?

Yes, I did that on my first (and only) unfruitful go-round with B&N tech support.

My suspicion is that it is an issue with the Simple Touch.  If you can successfully hook up other devices on your network, then there should be no reason the Simple Touch does not connect.  The only reasonable exception would be if you are inadvertantly mis-entering the router's pass-phrase when connecting the Nook.

One way to check that is to try setting up your Nook's wireless on another network....

New Visitor
mdades

thanks for the replies.

i fixed my particular problem.  all i had to do, who knows why, was to set my router to use the speed

of ''up to 54 mbps" instead of 300 mbps.  sheesh...

now, if i can just get the browser to stop crashing so i can download books from places other than bn.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Great!  I am glad that worked for you, although I have no idea why that was necessary...my Nook connects through a Linksys router rated at 450 Mbps, and there was no need to lower the connection rate.

What you did in effect was to limit your router to 11G speeds, which is curious as the Simple Touch is rated as 11N capable.  As long as it works...but I still believe that your Nook's WiFi connection is suspect.

Connection Expert
EG