New Visitor
Accepted Solution

opening port 1701/LT2P on a Netgear router

I have been working on this for months.  Directv tells me I need to open ports 1701/LT2P on my netgear router in order for my receiver to talk back to them.  I tried every source on the internet to figure this out but I cant get it to work.  Directv tells me to call comcast.  Comcast tells me to call Netgear.  Netgear tells me to call comcast.  There is no level of frustration that you can possibly imagine to describe my state of mind.

New Visitor
Mike2012

Re: opening port 1701/LT2P on a Netgear router

Jerry,

We appear to be in this together. I just spent four hours on the phone with DirecTV and we left it at "you'll have to contact your router or internet service provider to have ports 1701 and LT2P opened so DirecTV can use your internet.

Let the fun begin!

Doesn't comcast, as our internet provider, have control over which ports are open or firewall protected? Or is it the Wi Fi (NetGear) device that adds the firewall. To me it seems like comcast is our access point to the internet. But DirecTV is accessing it via Wi Fi so maybe it's both.

-Mike

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

You need to set up Port Forwarding on your router to send UDP Port 1701 to your device.

Check this link for info: http://sveasoft.com/forum/talisman-firmware/126112-how-to-open-udp-port-1701lt2p

That's for a different router, but the process is the same. You can Google to find instructions for setting up port forwarding on your specific router.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
New Visitor

I finally gave up the N150.  I went out and bought a new N300.  It was defective after spending two hours on the phone with Netgear.  My replacement N300 is up and working with the TV apps.  It is the first time I have seen them.  I did not have to open any ports with the new router.  If I do then netgear is now on the hook.  I still cant order a pay per view from the remote, but it may need a callback.  I think I am almost there.

New Visitor

Everything is up and running.  I can order from my remote and the tv apps, youtube, Pandora all work!

Again my solution was to dump the N150 WNR1000v2 and get a new N300 WNR2000.  I did not have to open any ports with the new router.  $50 for a new router is small compared to the agony I have suffered over this problem.