Contributor
splungeworthy

"Hidden Network"

What is the "hidden network" in my list of wifi hotspots? It's on the same channel (11) as my home wifi and shows a full strength connection.  I have the "Performance" package with the Arris TG862.  I know it's not the xfinity wifi hotspot because I disabled that.

Contributor

Re: "Hidden Network"

I just recently installed the same router from Comcast. Out of three laptops, one of them sees a "hidden" or "unknown" WiFi broadcast in addition to the SSID I created. It is an older Vista laptop, where the others are newer. So perhaps it is an anomaly on the receiving end?

By the way, I'm having trouble getting this laptop to successfully connect to the WiFi too. It says it connects, but then does not have Internet access. I tried picking and naming the unknown one, but that doesn't seem to work any better.

Contributor
MrPeach

Remember. you have neighbors and they may have WIFI too.

Hidden may be either a AP named "hidden" or one with a supressed SSID broadcast.

Connection Expert
EG

splungeworthy wrote:

What is the "hidden network" in my list of wifi hotspots? It's on the same channel (11) as my home wifi and shows a full strength connection.  I have the "Performance" package with the Arris TG862.  I know it's not the xfinity wifi hotspot because I disabled that.

Does it go away if you unplug your 862 from the power source ?

Contributor

Yes. It is definitely an anomaly of this TG862 router when combined with whatever WiFi card is in this laptop (with Vista).  I'm not necessarily saying the router is the fault; but it is some combination that causes this to appear. I don't remember, but it may not have occurred until I enabled the b/g/n mode on the router. Since this laptop was having trouble connecting and the router is configured only g/n to start, I decided perhaps the 'b' mode might be necessary. It didn't help, but I did not go back to the router to disable that.

By the way, in my case I'm less concerned about the ghost network versus my inablity to get this Vista laptop to connect correctly. I have several other devices that connected without issue, but I've messed with this one for hours to no avail.

Contributor
splungeworthy

[ Edited ]

Does it go away if you unplug your 862 from the power source ?

Didn't think of that-I'll let you know.  I highly doubt it's a neighbor with "Hidden Network" as their wifi name-why would it show a full strength connection? All of the other hotspots I see have 1 or less bars.  This is a Windows 8 computer.

Contributor
Smithhouse

I am also showing a "hidden network" on my windows 8 laptop.

Contributor
jwcc