New Visitor

reset main computer for home network

anyone know how to reset system so it recognizes a new computer as the base manager for comcast home network?....says I need a computer with management capabilities.....thanks.......
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: reset main computer for home network

JDKroon wrote:
anyone know how to reset system so it recognizes a new computer as the base manager for comcast home network?....says I need a computer with management capabilities.....thanks.......

Do you have a router? There is no "base manager" what ever that is, for a peer network. Tell us more about your "system" and its configuration. If you change the device connected to the modem, you must power cycle the modem.

Standard Power Cycle Procedure

Turn everything off – cable modem, router, PC(s) – and let them sit for a few minutes. If you have a modem that has a battery backup (telephony modems often do), press and hold its reset button until the modem reboots itself.

The order in which you do the following steps is critical - don't improvise! Turn on the cable modem, and let it come all the way up. Connect the WAN port (the one that’s by itself) of the router to the cable modem, and turn on the router. Wait for the router to come all the way up. Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports (there are usually 4 of them, grouped together), on the router. Repeat for any other hard-wired PCs. If you are not using a router, connect the PC to the modem and boot the PC.

Last, if you are using wifi, boot up your wireless PC/laptop and let it find the wireless signal. Once it’s working properly, check the top thread in the Home Networking forum about how to secure the wireless connection and prevent others from stealing your bandwidth.

New Visitor

when I go into mcafee security center there is a "manage network" option.  used to be on old computer, when I clicked on that it showed all the computers connected on the network (cat5 or wireless).  Now, I have new computer and cannot see the network map like I used to nor can I add computers to the network to share files, etc......I suppose I could do it through windows but I've used the mcafee setup fine in the past.....don't have a router problem....all 3 computers are connected to internet and working fine

Setting up a managed network

To set up a managed network, work with the items on your network map and add members (computers) to the network. Before a computer can be remotely managed, or granted permission to remotely manage other computers on the network, it must become a trusted member of the network. Network membership is granted to new computers by existing network members (computers) with administrative permissions.

You can view the details associated with any of the components that appear on the network map, even after you make changes to your network (for example, you add a computer).

Bronze Problem Solver

JDKroon wrote:

when I go into mcafee security center there is a "manage network" option.  used to be on old computer, when I clicked on that it showed all the computers connected on the network (cat5 or wireless).  Now, I have new computer and cannot see the network map like I used to nor can I add computers to the network to share files, etc......I suppose I could do it through windows but I've used the mcafee setup fine in the past.....don't have a router problem....all 3 computers are connected to internet and working fine

Setting up a managed network

To set up a managed network, work with the items on your network map and add members (computers) to the network. Before a computer can be remotely managed, or granted permission to remotely manage other computers on the network, it must become a trusted member of the network. Network membership is granted to new computers by existing network members (computers) with administrative permissions.

You can view the details associated with any of the components that appear on the network map, even after you make changes to your network (for example, you add a computer).

So I think what you are saying is you have a McAfee issue, not a networking issue. Correct? Your computers are all on the LAN and connected to the Internet. The issue is you want to set up network security, ie allow remote access etc using the McAfee tools. This all works when using Windows to view and share network shares but McAfee is blocking access.

If I understand correctly, we'll have to wait for a McAfee knowledgeable person to come by. I don't use McAfee so unfortuneately can not advise you with respect to its settings.

New Visitor

yep....mcafee networking issue.......thanks......