New Visitor

setting up wireless router

i'm running windows xp.  my cable modem is a rca model dhg536 provided by comcast. i would like to connect a wireless router.  my wireless is a netgear wireless g wgr614.  when i connect the router i can not get to the internet on any of my computers.  how can i setup this router to work?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: setting up wireless router

sjanks wrote:

i'm running windows xp.  my cable modem is a rca model dhg536 provided by comcast. i would like to connect a wireless router.  my wireless is a netgear wireless g wgr614.  when i connect the router i can not get to the internet on any of my computers.  how can i setup this router to work?

When you change the device connected to the modem you must power-cycle the modem.

Standard Power Cycle Procedure

Turn everything off – cable modem, router, PC(s) – and let them sit for a few minutes. If you have a modem that has a battery backup (telephony modems often do), press and hold its reset button until the modem reboots itself.

The order in which you do the following steps is critical - don't improvise! Turn on the cable modem, and let it come all the way up. Connect the WAN port (the one that’s by itself) of the router to the cable modem, and turn on the router. Wait for the router to come all the way up. Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports (there are usually 4 of them, grouped together), on the router. Repeat for any other hard-wired PCs. If you are not using a router, connect the PC to the modem and boot the PC.

Last, if you are using wifi, boot up your wireless PC/laptop and let it find the wireless signal. Once it’s working properly, check the top thread in the Home Networking forum about how to secure the wireless connection and prevent others from stealing your bandwidth.

Visitor

Re: setting up wireless router

thanks fishman .I am up and running.

Cjay

thanks for your help