New Visitor
martnres

setting up wireless with netgear router

My dad finally decided to get a laptop.  I bought a netgear n300 adsl2+ wireless router, and connected it to their comcast modem and computer.  It looks like everything is set up right- in the wireless drop down at the top it shows he is connected to the correct network, both on his desk top and his laptop, but I cannot access any web pages on his laptop.  this is a mac situation.  I think I read somewhere that comcast needs to turn on the wireless network broadcasting - I called them, but after being on hold for 30 minutes they hung up on me.  I then tried the live chat, but the guy was hung up on the fact that they don't have a gateway modem...not sure what to do next.  any advice would be appreciated.

New Visitor
martnres

setting up netgear wireless

My dad finally decided to get a laptop.  I bought a netgear n300 adsl2+ wireless router, and connected it to their comcast modem and computer.  It looks like everything is set up right- in the wireless drop down at the top it shows he is connected to the correct network, both on his desk top and his laptop, but I cannot access any web pages on his laptop.  this is a mac situation.  I think I read somewhere that comcast needs to turn on the wireless network broadcasting - I called them, but after being on hold for 30 minutes they hung up on me.  I then tried the live chat, but the guy was hung up on the fact that they don't have a gateway modem...not sure what to do next.  any advice would be appreciated.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: setting up wireless with netgear router

[ Edited ]

It is probably due to the fact that the unit you are using is a DSL modem connected to a cable modem and cable system. Different technologies and two modems on one line. Usually doesn't work.

If possilbe return that device and pick up a plain router, Netgear has several good models that will work. I use a WNDR3700. There are some newer models out on the market. Mine has been solid.

Some information from the Netgear site on that model

N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router Mobile Broadband Edition

DGN2200M
  • Stay connected — DSL with 3G+ backup
  • Works with major DSL & mobile ISPs
  • Usage meter helps control data costs
  • Content filtering — safe Internet experience
  • This product has been EOL'ed.(End of Life)
Silver Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: setting up netgear wireless

If the device is actually ADSL, I don't think you can use it with Comcast's internet service.