Regular Contributor
Denztoi

wifi extended range with Arris tg862

Has anyone tried using a wifi extender or repeater with the useless all in one arris tg862 modem /wifi/gateway unit? I get barely 20ft of range with it in my home. I was thinking of trying one of those plug outlet wifi extenders from dlink or netgear. Anyone try these? I dont want to have to go back and bridge this one and get another router if possible. Suggestions please!!

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: wifi extended range with Arris tg862

[ Edited ]

Range extenders are very finicky devices, they will work with one router but not another, so it's kind of hit or miss if whatever extender you choose works with your gateway.  Always best to pair router and range extender from the same maker.

None of the Comcast wireless gateways are decent wireless access points, I highly recommend you get rid of it or have it placed in full bridge mode (call 800-363-2416) and then get your own wireless router, better one of the high performance models, they tend to preform better in difficult environments.

Power line adapters have come a long way in just a few years,  For wired devices I have no hesitation in recommending them.  However, the newer crop of multi-function powerline adapters can be problematic depending on exactly how they work and how many shortcuts the manufacturer took to keep the price down (those extra features mean extra costs).  The result is sometimes devices of questionable performance.  My advice is if you go powerline, stick with ethernet connections since you can go striaght to where you need it anyway.  If you do decide to go with one with wifi capabilities, use one from the same manfacturer as your router, otherwise you might be in for some "issues".

New Visitor
thanekeith

In the PDF for the Arris TG862 it says on page 18 in the section on Factors affecting wireless range that setting the trasmit(sic) power level to High increases the range. It never tells you where to do this. Any help?

Regular Contributor
Denztoi

Thanekeith, don't waste your time with the Arris TG862, the unit is problematic at best. Search the Xbox 360 connection issues thread for the best fix.
I returned it and got a modem that wasn't the all in one unit and went and bought my own router, problems solved. Search the thread and you will see that the 862 has been waiting for a update to fix some known problems for close to 9 months now! Don't hold your breath waiting or hoping for it to work correctly or be fixed, it never should have been released by Comcast. Good luck