New Visitor
loreleim2006

wireless router/ cable phone modem

I went to set up my inlaws wireless router and halfway thru it says it detects a static (fixed) ip address.

They have the cable/phone modem.  How do i find out what the static ip address is, or if there is a way around it.  I tryd the rebooting the modem cause thats what i did with mine but it still came up the same.  (i have a reg cable modem)

Any help with be greatly appreciated

Email Expert

Re: wireless router/ cable phone modem

Comcast doesn't assign static addresses, I don't know what would cause a router to say this.

The only difference between regular cable modems and EMTAs (phone modems) is that unplugging the power cord doesn't reboot the EMTA, because it has a battery backup. You need to press the Reset switch on the back; it's probably recessed and you need to use a pin to press it.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: wireless router/ cable phone modem

loreleim2006 wrote:

I went to set up my inlaws wireless router and halfway thru it says it detects a static (fixed) ip address.

They have the cable/phone modem.  How do i find out what the static ip address is, or if there is a way around it.  I tryd the rebooting the modem cause thats what i did with mine but it still came up the same.  (i have a reg cable modem)

Any help with be greatly appreciated

If the Wireless router has a Static IP address then you can depress the reset switch on the back of the Router to take it back to its factory defaults which would erase the Static IP.