New Visitor
Janet725

wireless router not working

Im having troubles with my wireless router. I upgraded my cable package from the hd preferred package to the hd preferred plus package and had a technition at my house to install the upgrade. The upgrade also ugraded my internet to the new D3. The issue is that once they left and i went on the computer i opened the internet and the self activation page opened up. I followed the steps but it wont let me complete the process. Although if i disconnect the wireless router and connect the modem right to the computer the internet works just fine. I called comcast asking for help and they suggested the simple things to do which i already tried with no avail. The only real option that comcast offered was to sign me up for the internet support package which has a $39 one time fee on top of a monthly fee which i dont feel i should have to sign up for since this was their mistake that should have been taken care of before the technition left. So if anyone can help with any suggestions on how to fix this without having to pay comcast even more money it would be appreciated.

Email Expert

Re: wireless router not working

When you change the device connected to the modem, you have to reset the modem. If it's a telephony modem you hold the Reset button for a few seconds, otherwise you unplug the power cord and plug it back in.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

The activation page can be a simple fix or huge headache...  wireless routers are notorious for holding onto that page, so possibly a simple powercycle of the router will take care of it...  and it sounds like it will since you can surf from the modem...

So follow general procedure, power down the router, reset the modem, powerup the router...

If that doesn't fix it, a rep will need to take care of it...  back when I was a rep I would fix the stuck activation pages like this:

make sure account has a primary uid

check for captive portal

powerdown computer

powerdown router

roll the modem, removing its current provisioning

apt the modem (provision it)

opt out the domain helper flag (can also hold the page)

powerup router

startup computer

that'll usually fix it...  and any KNOWLEDGABLE rep can do all that, all you should have to do with someone who knows what theyre doing is unplug the router while they work the magic...

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

throw in another modem reset after opting out the domain helper...  sorry been a few months..

Connection Expert
EG

bnaughty wrote:

throw in another modem reset after opting out the domain helper.

FWIW, I believe that "domain helper" no longer exists now that their new anycast DNSsec servers are online.

New Visitor
mfff

I had  and new wireless modem with built in wireless routers,I called comcast to help install this new system and had trouble.It would work if it was hard wired. (2)lab top computers would not work when the hard wire was removed. told I needed better tech support. $5.95 a month for 12 months so I agreed and finally they were able to correct the problem. 2 days later had trouble with email window.comcast not responding or no internet responding. or all white page and a small circle in the middle and 30 to 45 seconds finallyemail and later not responding by comcast.called comcast and was told needed pay more money to use advanced tech raise heck about this and they were polite.Total rip off

Email Expert

Wireless routers built into the modems are junk, we strongly recommend against using them. Buy your own router, then call Comcast and ask them to put the modem in bridge mode.

Contributor
Garatron

I agree was getting a modem replacement and was offered the combo deal, but chose to go with my new router with the standard modem. I was tempted though because I could return the new unused router and get my 90 bucks back, but the noodle started kicking in  :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
mfff

I called comcast about my problem and they were very understanding about my problems, they send a service man out to find out my problem.The service man was very polite and listened to my problem checked out my lab top computers and with in a period of time had everything working to my satisfaction and explained and part of the problem was my fault and did not blame me and was really helpfull. I can not thank him enough for all the time he spent and explain what might of gone wrong. every thing is back to normal and was very pleased with the results.  thanks to Comcast and the service tech.            mffff