New Visitor
kirkwilliams620

xbox wont connect to network

I have 2 xboxs and neither connect wirelessly to my network. ive also tried wired network and nothing works. any ideas? ive done all the troubleshooting steps on xbox.com

Contributor
jettmac26

Re: xbox wont connect to network

We had this same issue when we just moved into new home.  No issues at prior residence; we have same equipment, but they brought out new modem (not sure what my previous modem model was).  The one they brought out TG862G is listed as having issues, but the techs don't seem to know about it, yet it's all over their comcast site.  Tech moved modem and hardwired xbox into modem and now we have no issues except now my computer can't pick up the signal.  Having them come out again.

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

@kirkwilliams

you will have to describe exaclty what equipment you have and how it is all connected

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
Timmothy

I'm having this same problem. My Xbox 360 S simply refuses to connect to my TG862G Xfinity router. I've switched between WPA/WPA2 and TKIP/AES.

Please help.

Contributor

You can try to disable any parental security settings from within the router itself, and add the xbox as a trusted device in the network settings. That has been hit or miss though. Other than that you may have to get the unit bridged and use your own wireless router.

New Visitor
Ihavetheanswer

So i had the same problemo compadre. I looked up the problem online to see if there is an answer. None could be found. All of them were unaswered forums, so i took it into my hands to give something different a shot. I tried manually inputting the ip address subnet mask, gateway, primary dns server and secondary dns server. It works. I'm unsure if it's temporary or not. By the way i have the xfinity arris TG862G router gateway thing and an xbox 360 slim. All you have to do on your xbox is type in the information manually. If it says there's a conflict with the ip address change the first section to automatic instead. That's all i did and it worked for now. Please tell me if this helped. I'm good but not perfect this so tell me if it doesn't work and i'll try to help. Good Luck!

New Visitor
gooden4964

i need help connect my xbox live to my TG 862G XFINITY MODEM

New Visitor
AngrySpartan

The problem is the two in one Arris  modem and router. Fios uses this same equipment. The Motorola one I own works fine, though it is a bit outdated and I will be getting a newer one. In my previous residence I had Comcast, and had to switch to Fios. With Comcsat My internet was on set-up on the 3rd floor of my 3 story house and at any given moment would have 3 Xboxes, 2 computers, and a PS3 online. There was no lagging, nor was there a host connection issue. After swtiching and Verizon insisting on using their equipment We had all sorts of problems.

No that I have moved I went back to comcast and was going to just lease a modem until my belongs arrived. Not only can I not stay connected to XBL or even the home network, but when I do it is super laggy. Most of the time I can't even connect. I did some research on the modem and this is newest version to the one I own (in storage)

Motorola SB6121 SURFboard SB6121 Cable Modem - RJ-45, DOCSIS 3.0, IPv4/IPv6

This modem is on the Compatibility list for comcast and so I will be getting this one as well as a new router

Netgear R6300 Wireless 802.11 AC 5GHz Router - 4x 10/100/1000 Ports, 2x USB 2.0, IEEE 802.11 ac 5.0 GHz, 802.11 BG&N Compatible.

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

In looking at what modems are compatible with the Xbox, I didn't find the one that I have on this list from the Xbox site (listed below)...

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/about-wireless-gateway

In chatting with an Xbox rep., she said that the modem I have is a router and modem in one and that it sounded like I may need to have the ports opened and a static IP set. Not being an overly techy person or at either of the units, I'll have to check back with them later tonight to solve the connectivity issues.

I'll post the solution once I get my problem resolved.

Contributor
Michael_Grace2

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Arris/WTM552/Xbox_Live_360.htm

might not be the same setup..but those ports need to be forwarded

Networking Expert
kevj

Michael_Grace2 wrote:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Arris/WTM552/Xbox_Live_360.htm

might not be the same setup..but those ports need to be forwarded

My XBox Live connection works fine without having any ports forwarded...I have not run into any issues so far....

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

So if I "open" those ports, then the Xbox should be able to then connect to my Comcast modem/router?

Networking Expert
kevj

Opening the ports has nothing to do with your XBox being able to connect to the router. If you cannot even establish a network connection to the router, then there is something else going on...

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

Well what might that be? Everything else connects wirelessly to the modem/router just fine (iPhones, iPod Touch, iMac, PC laptop).

Networking Expert
kevj

Charise, what model of gateway ( the router/modem conbo) do you have? If it is the Arris TG862, there is a known issue with XBox's connecting to the wireless access point that is built in to them. You can try making sure the XBox is set to use AES only for wireless encryption. If that does not work, th alternative is for you to either call 1-800-363-2416 and ask them put the gateway in Bridge Mode, so it acts like a modem, instead of a gateway, and connect your own wireless router, or, if you have phone service through Comcast, swap it out for an EMTA (a modem only with a built-in telephonty adapter), then hook up your own router.

Unfortunately, if using AES only does not work, both alternate solutions involve you purchasing your own  router. TBH, most of the experts here would recommend that anyway...the Comcast gateways have a history of unreliability in a number of areas.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

It is the Arris TG862 modem/router combo. I'm not overly tech saavy so I don't know where to go to ensure the XBox is set to use AES only for wireless encryption. Could you possibly assist me there? Who is the 800 number for (company name)? I have a Linksys modem/router I believe and can use that, but would have to have an ethernet cord from the XBox to the Comcast modem/router correct? Don't have phone service with Comcast (Can't stand them in general). Does Comcast have other options as to their modem/routers or do you know if this is the only one they offer? I just want to use my paid Netflix online streaming account with the XBox, but to do that it seems you have to have an XBox Live Gold Membership....Grrr!

Networking Expert
kevj

To check the XBox network settings, you would have to go into the Console Settings, and find the Network Settings section.

The 800 number I gave is for a group at Comcast that can set the gateway to bridge mode. I am not sure how much luck people have been having getting through on that number recently though. Apparently it has been pretty busy. If you cannot reach them, try sening ComcastLarry a Private Message (click on the little envelope near the top of the page in these forums)

Yes, if you were to connect your own router to the modem, you would need an ethernet cable between them. Just make sure your Linksys is just a router, and not another gateway device.

You can go to your local Comcast office, and ask them if they have any modems, rather than gateways.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

I'll try to give that number a call this evening when I'm at home in front of the console and modem/router. Also, I don't see any "little envelope" for a ComcastLarry. I'll search for his username possibly?

I will also try to connect an ethernet cable from the XBox to the modem/router direct to see what happens. Do I have to have a XBox Live Gold membership to utilize my Netflix online streaming subscription though? I'm sure I can find out if the Linksys I have is a modem/router combo or just a router by Googling the model number right? I'm not stupid (not saying you said that), but I'm just not familiar with all of the technical ins and outs of this type of stuff. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

Aha...Found the "envelope" and sent a message just to get the thread going with ComcastLarry.

Networking Expert
kevj

ChariseLaw8251 wrote:

I'll try to give that number a call this evening when I'm at home in front of the console and modem/router. Also, I don't see any "little envelope" for a ComcastLarry. I'll search for his username possibly?

I will also try to connect an ethernet cable from the XBox to the modem/router direct to see what happens. Do I have to have a XBox Live Gold membership to utilize my Netflix online streaming subscription though? I'm sure I can find out if the Linksys I have is a modem/router combo or just a router by Googling the model number right? I'm not stupid (not saying you said that), but I'm just not familiar with all of the technical ins and outs of this type of stuff. :smileyhappy:

If you didn't pay for an XBox Live Gold membership at any point, then you probably don't have one.

Look at the Linksys you have and let me know the model number...We can find out exactly what it is...

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

[ Edited ]

i've never had an xbox live gold membership, just the free one but don't want to sign up for one AND have my netflix account being paid for if I can just use the Netflix through my laptop, which is just fine, but the tv is always nicer to view through!

i believe the modem/router is a linksys wrt54g? yes i do believe this is it!

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT54G

now if this is connected from the xbox to the arris, will this interrupt any of my other wirelessly connected devices?

Networking Expert
kevj

That is kind of an old router...it is known to be one of the more reliable ones from Linksys, but it definitely isn't new technology. If you can run an ethernet cable from the XBox to yur Comcast gateway, that would be the best solution, froma technology perspective anyway. Even if you can get the XBox connected to the Comcast gateway wireless, those devices don't have a great reputation (you can look around on these boards to see that), and streaming video over the flaky wirelss you will probably get may just frustrate you further.

If you do decide to go that route, for the best experence, you should have the Comcast gateway in bridge mode, and the Linksys router configured so that all of your wireless devices connect to it, as the wireless on the Comcast gateway would be disabled.You would have to configure the wirelles on the Linksys router, then reconfigure all of your devices to use the SSID and password you set up on it.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

Well I've got the ethernet cable plugged in from the back of the Xbox to the back of the Comcast Arris modem/router so we'll see what happens next. It looks like it's working, but it's downloading an update do we'll see if I've spoken too soon.

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

So I've now got the xbox connected to the linksys router and the linksys router connected to the comcast arris modem/router...ALL IS WELL!!! i now actually have 2 networks to choose from so we're all good! now i wonder if i can use the router to get rid of the comcast modem/router or not...

Contributor
ChariseLaw8251

Not sure which modem/router Comcast has provided to you, however, I have the Arris TG862 I belive and I figured mine out via "wired version networking". I connected an ethernet cable to from the Xbox to a router and then an ethernet cable from the router to the Comast modem/router. All works fine I'm happy to report.