Contributor
davidsi
Accepted Solution

2Go and OSX 10.7 (Lion)

When will you get around to providing Lion support?  I've been without internet at home now for over 2 weeks.  

Mac Expert
Joel

Re: 2Go and OSX 10.7 (Lion)

Blame the device manufacturers. As a work-around...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3193099?start=0&tstart=0

Contributor
davidsi

I'm sorry, that's a total copout. I get my service from comcast. They are responsible for ensuring the service is running. Telling me "not to be on the bleeding edge" is also ridiculous, the OS was announced almost a year ago and the developer programs have been out for months.

To make things even worse, the workaround does not work on my MacBook pro
Regular Contributor
OriginalMacRat

davidsi wrote:
I'm sorry, that's a total copout. I get my service from comcast.

Being rude to someone on the forum trying to help you isn't very nice.

You should contact Comcast customer support and file a ticket and rant at them..

For now the only solution is for you to revert your laptop back to Snow Leopard.

Mac Expert
Joel

OriginalMacRat wrote:

For now the only solution is for you to revert your laptop back to Snow Leopard.

Right, or boot into 32-bit mode if possible. It's always smart whenever doing a major OS upgrade to find out if you have any system-critical software or hardware that are going to have incompatibilities with said upgrade. If so, you do not want to be an early adopter. This is why you see, especially in enterprise, extensive testing of system updates to protect against these types of problems. Unfortunately, it takes some vendors longer than others to test their products against major OS upgrades, update their hardware if necessary, and then get that hardware out into the wild. This is why it's important to do your homework before pulling the upgrade trigger.

Contributor
davidsi

I didnt mean to be rude to him but the answer was exactly the same wording as I've been getting from comcast "customer support". It thus pushed a button!

I was on the phone with them for four hours most of which was them explaining why it was my fault the device didn't work. Quite why its my fault i believed their device should work never quite madr sense. Sadly going back to Snow Lepoard is not an option
Contributor
davidsi

Quite right except that in this case I have no choice. I work remotely in software development, currently on an application that needs some of the new features of Lion. Thus I'm caught between the devil and the deep blue sea! I need Lion but I also need an Internet connection!
Networking Expert
Weil

davidsi wrote:
Quite right except that in this case I have no choice. I work remotely in software development, currently on an application that needs some of the new features of Lion. Thus I'm caught between the devil and the deep blue sea! I need Lion but I also need an Internet connection!

MacFix suggested a Snow Leopard partition on your hard drive in case.  I suggest a Snow Leopard backup on a separate drive if your employment requires a working system.

If your new software requires a connection with the latest Mac software through a well programmed ISP, then I suggest that you leave Comcast for one that hires competent software engineers.

sam

Contributor
davidsi

LOL, I picked comcast cause they only have a one year contract and unlimited 4G, if someone else did, I probably would. Nice suggestion though
Regular Contributor

I have 3 Macs running Lion using a router connected to my Motorola modem with Comcast as my ISP.

All 3 worked fine on Snow Leopard, and absolutely no adjustments were required when I upgraded them to Lion.

These Intel Macs range from a 2007 iMac, a 2009 mini, and a 2011 MBP.

Comcast is responsible for getting the internet to the output port of the modem.  That is all.  You are responsible from that point.

Contributor
davidsi

thats lovely, but I do not have a motorola modem and the internet is not getting to the output port of the modem.  

Regular Contributor

Is it the same modem that wsorked with SL?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

It was my understanding that this thread was a problem with the Xfinity Internet 2 Go and Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Just using a normal router or cable modem with Lion should just work the way it did with Snow Leopard or even Leopard or Tiger. We didn't have to do anything special to connect my daughter's laptop that has Lion.

The bottom of the FAQs on Internet2Go says it doesn't work with Macs at all:

http://business.comcast.com/highspeed2go/faqs.aspx#19

Is that still true? In two different places, the Xfinity Internet 2 Go documentation says:

Unfortunately, no. The Comcast Connection Manager does not yet support Macs.  However, we expect to support the Mac operating system in the coming year.

Regular Contributor

I'd suggest to OP that we get a better, more detailed description of the problem:

Does he have internet connectivity or not?

How is he connected?  Is there a router involved?What specifically has been tried, physically, to correct the problem?

What does internet 2 go have to do with the problem?  If you are using a Mac, it won't work yet.

Contributor
davidsi

This thread is about the 2go wireless dongle. It has nothing to do with cable modem. I'm sure cable routers and modems work great. My wireless device does not. I have zero Internet connection. I have no router it plugs straight into the laptop.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

As far as I know, Comcast's Internet2Go does not work with any Mac.

Contact Comcast (that's not us, we're just customers) and complain that you want Mac support.

If such support is critical to your business, you need a different mechanism for connecting to the internet. Don't rely on Comcast to see the Mac light.

Edit: But if you have a wireless router, a Mac laptop running Lion connects beautifully.

Another edit: If you look at the link Joel provided above, there seem to be some options for using Comcast's Internet2Go with Macs. Maybe nudge We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com with your problem. 

Contributor
davidsi

When I first found this forum, I thought it WAS the comcast website. Which is why I started with "When will you have ...." :-)

To answer your question, yes it worked great with snow leopard. I know that big chunks of their site says Mac is not supported but that's just cause their site sucks.

I tried all the options above, except revert to SL, and none work.

Sadly I can't connect via another option as I work at home.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Since your Mac would connect with Snow Leopard, I suggest that you try contacting Comcast directly through multiple avenues and keep nudging them. 

Start here: http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpFolders.aspx?topic=Internet2Go

At least complain that you don't have service so you need a bill adjustment.

Thank you for confirming that it *did* work with Snow Leopard.

I guess you don't have a normal cable modem at home that you can attach a $40 wireless router to.

Mac Expert
Joel

david,

did you ever get this sorted out? The reason I ask is that I was recently sent one of these devices to play with for a while and I assumed from this thread it wouldn't work. I almost didn't even install the software after going to the site and seeing it was only for 10.5 and 10.6. I installed it anyway, restarted, the connection manager launched, I plugged in the dongle, turned off WiFi, and it worked. Connection Manager is not running in 64-bit mode, but I can't say if there was some update to the software to make it work in Lion or if I just got lucky. I should say this is with the Franklin device, model CMU-301.

If it's still not working for you, maybe try updating the software. Or, uninstall it, then download it fresh from the Internet2Go site. Make sure you have the latest device available as well (the 301 seems to be it). 

Contributor
davidsi

Hi

No I never got it sorted out.  Eventually I got them to send me a myfi device as that does not require drivers.  I'm now on my third device and none of them work!  However, it turns out that the myfi devices didn't work because they are upgrading the towers in my area.  This is, apparently, a three week task and all the internet is down in a square mile area around where I live.

Having read this, I took my laptop to work and try the USB plugin, it still does not work. The myfi however, does work away from home

Mac Expert
Joel

Thanks for the update. Hopefully, they'll have your towers back online soon. Here in the Chicago area, I'm getting full 4G at about 4Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. Not too bad.

New Visitor
peanutlady1

Just wanted to let Mac Users know that I have gone through Snow Leopard, didn't need Mountain Lion, Maverick and now OS Yosemite. My computer is a laptop from 2009. I haven't had many issue at all. I don't have Internet 2Go.

I hope this helps Beth in figuring out the customers problem.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

4 year old thread now locked.