New Visitor
RickTesta

ARRIS TG862

Hi, I recently got comcast, and I've set up all the computers in my house. All is fine on windows but for some reason, one of my Macs connects, but doesn't recieve any signal. I can go to the router/modem's IP and such, but no other site will load. Ontop of all this, signal is only strong for about 3 meters. I have the ARRIS TG862 stock modem/router. Please let me know if you've encountered such problem or if I have to return the modem.

New Visitor
RickTesta

Re: ARRIS TG862

Forgot to mention, ethernet connections work fine, just the WIFI that is rubbish.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Hello,

Comcast gateways are lousy. You better of getting help from comcast to place the gateway in bridge mode and get your own router and hook it up.

New Visitor
RickTesta

I shouldn't try my luck and see if the one they send me is any better? Or should I always expect the same lousy router performance and just accept this one and get a real router?

Connection Expert
EG

RickTesta wrote:

I shouldn't try my luck and see if the one they send me is any better? Or should I always expect the same lousy router performance and just accept this one and get a real router?

Go with the latter.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

[ Edited ]

I have a netgear, but real apple routers work great with a mac and pcs and are easy to setup.

Somebody else on the forum recommended them I think Jayinalg   who is one of the experts.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Can-the-Comcast-modem-support-two-routers/m... Here is some post not the one I remeber wher he mentions them.

Visitor
jhsuharris

I also  just had  Comcast triple service  installed with an Arris TC 862  modem. Our iMac is connected via WiFi and is about 55 feet away, thru 5 walls. Paying for  25 mb/s down load and getting 0.35 to 2.46 mb/s. Much slower than when I had VIOS - many pauses downloading music, YouTube. etc.   Comcast guy says get a plug-in repeater & install half way between computer & modem. All I want to do is improve internet speed and consistancy. 

Questions:

Should I get a "Repeater" or an "extender"?

I see repeaters priced from $20.00 to  ~ $1,000.   What should I get? 

I'm  an od man with 1940's tech knowlledge - need something easy to st up.

Networking Expert
Weil

As stated above, buy a real router and have place the Comcast unit put  in "bridge mode".

sam

Visitor
jhsuharris

Sorry, Weil, but I don't understand - guess I'm a little slow.

1.  "...real router."  exactly what should I look for:  specs? quality / price range? Would you suggest a particular  product to seek?

2.  "...and have a place..."  Are you saying I should move the phyical location of the Comcast Arris?  Where?  Or are you saying something else?

3.   Put what in "...bridge mode" - the Arris or the new router?

4.   And what is "... bridge mode", and how do I do it?

5.  And do these questions  indicate  the job is above my pay grade and I should hire some techie to do it?

6.  And you must be the right person to advise us - when we met my  wife was Sue Weil.

Your post: As stated above, buy a real router and have place the Comcast unit put  in "bridge mode".

sam

Networking Expert
Weil

jhsuharris wrote:

Sorry, Weil, but I don't understand - guess I'm a little slow.

1.  "...real router."  exactly what should I look for:  specs? quality / price range? Would you suggest a particular  product to seek?

2.  "...and have a place..."  Are you saying I should move the phyical location of the Comcast Arris?  Where?  Or are you saying something else?

3.   Put what in "...bridge mode" - the Arris or the new router?

4.   And what is "... bridge mode", and how do I do it?

5.  And do these questions  indicate  the job is above my pay grade and I should hire some techie to do it?

6.  And you must be the right person to advise us - when we met my  wife was Sue Weil.

Your post: As stated above, buy a real router and have place the Comcast unit put  in "bridge mode".

sam

You should go to a nearby Best Buy or other computer store and purchase a brand name router with at least b/g/n band capability and mid-range performance (30-$100).  Call Comcast and have them place your rented unit in "bridge mode" while installing the new router. 

sam

Contributor

Well, I already have a good router in the Apple Extreme.  But I decided I don't want this Arris modem/router gateway unit.  Instead I have opted to get a "good" dedicated modem.  I am getting the Motorola 6141 from Amazon.  It comes highly rated and is on Comcasts list of acceptable DOC3 modems....plus I won't have to pay for rental from Comcast anymore...plus I hear their new gateway from Arris is awful.

Visitor
jhsuharris

Bottom line at top:  Go ethernet, if you can. New to  an apartment and Comcast  two months ago.  Comcast set me up with Arris TG862 and WiFi.  Paying for  20/4 mb/sec.  Got  ~0.4 / ~2.0. Computer is ~50 ft from  Arris  thru 5 walls in solid hi rise bldg.  Tried an extender half way between - little help.  Spent 6  hours hiding ~95 feet of ethernet cable. Now get over  20 /4 mbpsec at all hours.  And I returned the  extender for  full credit.