Contributor

Cannot connect my newly purchased AppleTV. Apple tells me that several ports are closed on the Comcast modem. Need them to connect to iTunes. But Comcast will not open them. Tech said Comcast does not support Mac protecol. I would change to someone who does. But Comcast is the only provider in my area. Any ideas?

Bill 

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: AppleTV

How does your computer connect to your modem? Is that successful? What kind of computer? What kind of network connection (wired or wireless)? 

I don't have an Apple TV, but looking at the Apple TV setup manual, it doesn't sound like you need any special ports. There may be a problem if your router's name and password have unusual characters. If you have set your router so that it only allows specific devices, you'll need to tell it about the Apple TV's MAC number.

The setup seemed pretty straightforward. Here's a link to guide if someone else wants to help:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/AppleTV_SetupGuide.pdf

Contributor

Apple tech walked me through the set-up. Bumped me higher where they told me about the closed ports.

Have a Power Mac G4. Modem connection is through the router. Router to the computer. I have never set the router. Wouldn't know how. Tried wireless. Tried ethernet.  

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Are you expecting to connect the Apple TV to the router wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable? Which brand and model router? I'm thinking that if you have an Ethernet cable that goes from the Apple TV to the router it should just work.

I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Contributor

I'll try that. Thanks.

Contributor

Beth. You have done it. What no man before you has done. You've connected my AppleTV!

Thank you.

Bill

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You're welcome. Glad to help.

So your router is not a wireless one and the Ethernet cable worked? Everyone else figured you had a wireless router?
Networking Expert
Baric

Just as more info for others who might see it, the Apple TV connects to the router, not the cable modem.  It supports wireless and ethernet, you decide which to use.  My Apple TV (2nd gen) is connected by wireless and works great but I have had it connected with ethernet as well, works fine.  What you have to remember is the Comcast support folks are in many cases completely clueless and many are apt to spout all manner of ridiculous nonsense when asked about routers, etc.  Comcast provides the Internet connect and increasingly they are providing gateway devices that have built in routers.  In this situation, you just plug your Apple TV into one the gateway's LAN ports or use the wireless function (if present and working).  Many of the gateways that Comcast uses have really awful wireless performance, so many of us here recommend you not use them at all, get your own wireless router (as we allhave done for many years) and simply have Comcast provide the Internet signal up to the cable modem, but no further into your network.

And there is nothing inherently different about Mac or Apple devices, they all speak TCP/IP just like Windows devices.  Anyone who says Comcast doesn't support "Mac protocol" clearly has no clue what they are talking about.  For a long time, my network was connected to Comcast through an Apple Time Capsule wireless router, which of course worked just fine.  All my other Apple devices work fine over my Comcast connection, that includes MacBook Pro's, iPhones, iPads, and an Apple TV.  All work seemlessly right beside my Windows 7 and Linux systems.