New Visitor
Homer8j
Accepted Solution

Browser reverts back to xfinity homepage after reboot

I have uninstalled any software associated with xfinity (that I can find) and have removed the toolbar as well, yet after rebooting my homepage reverts back to xfinity's site.

I am using OS 10.6.8 and Firefox 5.

Any help would be appreciated

Regular Contributor
Ferdsky

Re: Browser reverts back to xfinity homepage after reboot

Homer,

Have you set your desired Home Page in Firefox>Preferences...>General>Startup>Home Page?

New Visitor
Homer8j

Yep...it's set for www.google.com

Networking Expert
Baric

Check your add-ons and extensions in Firefox, it sounds like SOMETHING is still there causing trouble.  Firefox won't do this on its own, something is making the switch for it.  It might be an add-on, or it might be something external to the browser, but still installed on the Mac.  Do a careful search in Applications folder for old Comcast software if the add-on route fails to yield anything.

Official Employee
ComcastRobert

[ Edited ]

You need to go to Macintosh HD/Users/(your user name)/Library/Application Support/FireFox/Profiles/

and tunnel down until you can find the file user.js (in my case it was in folder mt4ke2ty.default) and put that file in the trash.  Now change your preferences in Fire Fox to what ever you want to be your homepage and it will stay.  This is a new issue that has happened when installing a new modem or swapping modems where when the software is installed (and in most cases to get online you have to install the software) makes Fire Fox default and keep on defaulting to the Xfinity website with your install date at the end of the home page, Hope this helps,

Rob

Com Tech 4

Networking Expert
Baric

com_tech_4 wrote:

...and in most cases to get online you have to install the software...

OK, while my first impressions is to say that is completely untrue, on the chance I'm wrong, I'll bite, what software do you have to install to get online?  This I have to hear.

Connection Expert
EG

NONE !!!  :smileywink:

New Visitor
Homer8j

Thank you Com Tech! That solved the problem!

Much Appreciated

Andy

Official Employee
ComcastRobert

[ Edited ]

Glad I could help Andy, to Baric and EG, when a modem is pulled out of wall guard ( garden) the modem might not be fully provisioned, causing it to be stuck in captive portal until the desktop software is ran on the pc, macs didn't have to go through this step because there used to be no software associated with it, with xfinity there is now, check out casper, I still need to check if it is mandatory or not to clear captive portal on a mac, I hope this helps everyone,

Rob

Connection Expert
EG

I'm at a loss as to understand. You just mentioned the *Walled Garden" modem registration page (Welcome to Comcast) "captive portal" which is a DNS redirect. Poster mentioned seeing the Xfinity home (portal) page. Aren't these two pages different and look different ?

Networking Expert
Baric

com_tech_4 wrote:

Glad I could help Andy, to Baric and EG, when a modem is pulled out of wall guard ( garden) the modem might not be fully provisioned, causing it to be stuck in captive portal until the desktop software is ran on the pc, macs didn't have to go through this step because there used to be no software associated with it, with xfinity there is now, check out casper, I still need to check if it is mandatory or not to clear captive portal on a mac, I hope this helps everyone,

Rob

That is completely untrue.  Many of us here have configured our own modems, both using the walled garden page and by having Comcast do it over the phone.  No software of any kind is needed for that process.  And besides myself and other frequent posters here, we have had postings from hundreds of other users who have done the same thing, no software required.

You need to check your facts here.  While we're grateful you know how to solve the issue, the fact that Comcast is the one causing the problem is a big issue, especially when it's utterly unnecessary.

Official Employee
ComcastRobert

[ Edited ]

To EG, you are correct about it being different, you have a tech come out in the last 2 weeks, the key is in the last 2 weeks, say you wanna docsis 3.0 or had internet and now want phone and internet, the tech puts the new modem on the account, the new modem is in wall garden, you put in account # and telephone # in and activate the modem, after it is activated it is now in capitve portal which if you didn't have a comcast email address it would say you need to create one or if you have one it would it would verify it for the account, then in the old days that would clear the captive portal and if need to might have to reset your wireless router and you were online, well, for a while now for a pc running Windows it would say install the comcast desktop doctor and tool bar, which the desktop doctor was mandatory and the tool bar was optional, if you do not, it would not let you online, even if you shut your computer down, close out browers, use a different browser, you would not be able to get online unless you called and had Capitve Portal cleared, or install the Desktop Doctor, then it would clear the Captive Portal and Allow you online.  Macs didn't have desktop software at the end of the Capitve Portal, so one would just be able to go online, well now they do have desktop software, and if you read in my previous posts that I don't know if it is mandatory to install the desktop software on a mac to clear the Capitve Portal or not, I have been dealing with the ends and not the means, but lets say it is mandatory, then one would have to call and have it cleared or would have to run the software to get online, again, I have not had to install a new modem on a mac since this new software has come out, just the package, so I will update this when I can confirm one has to to clear Captive Portal.

Now for the kicker, the software that one installs on their mac puts in a script under user.js that automatically defaults back to the xfinity website on Firefox, I tried it on 5.x and 3.6..., I hope that it was just an oversight and they are working on a fix, I also would be annoyed that after having to install software, which the customer I was dealing with was gracious enough to send me the install package and let me play with it on my mac and be stuck with xfinity only as my homepage. that is how I found the fix, another way is to uninstall firefox and reinstalling it, but that takes way longer.  I hope that makes more sense now, it is the Desktop Software from Comcast that is causing the result.

Connection Expert
EG

Thanks but I don't need a tutorial. N.M. You seem to be missing the point here....

Official Employee
ComcastRobert

sorry for missing the point, just trying to clear up any loose ends, yea, accidentally hit post on my droid, so I edited the post above yours, I am just trying to help here, I will only update this post if I find out if it has to be ran to clear captive portal,

Cheers,

Rob

Email Expert

Yes, Comcast does have software that can be installed on PC's and Macs. However, it is not, and never has been, required. If customers don't know any better, the techs will install it. But we recommend avoiding it, for exactly the reasons that are exhibited in this thread.

P.S. Didn't your English teacher warn you about run-on sentences? :smileyhappy:

Recognized Contributor

Is this a "new innovation" implemented now?   I will be definitely be very upset if an install of Comcast software kills good usage of my computer.  Haven't needed a tech for a while for comcast cable/intrernet problems.

I expect some time later I might need a new eMTA replaced & definitely don't want any useless Comcast software mucking up my computer.  I rather mess it up my self:smileyshocked:

Connection Expert
EG

Just say "NO"...

New Visitor
RedYoung

If you are using a Mac as a testing server for Live View of a web page in Dreamweaver, and you get the Xfinity home page, call and have signal resent. Please note: the signal resend zapped code. Once I restored the file, Safari was no longer captive of the xfinity home page and I got Live View of my web page.

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, this is a three month old thread with which the orignal poster hasn't returned..

New Visitor
inessa2209

This is an old thread but maybe someone has figured out what to do in this case..

1.  Customer has a router and a modem.

2. New install of services

2. Modem is not in captive portal.

3. Unplugged router..apt modem.

4. Firefox  browser..when trying to get online is bringing Xfinity page and asking to run or download "comcast desktop software".. no options for cancel or dismiss or skip..When trying to run does not run just freezes

5. Computer reset and Google Chrome browser..still the same Xfinity page and asking to run or download "comcast desktop software".. OS Windows 7.

Email Expert

Do you realize you asked this in the Macintosh forum? It's strange to ask about a problem with Windows here.

it sounds like you may need to flush the DNS cache on the machine.

New Visitor
AlexOrsi

how can you fix this for a windows user using chrome? I have been looking for the user.js file and cannot find it anywhere.

thanks

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

This post is from 2011 and marked as solved.

Post a new question in the web browser forum

This thread is now locked.